21-22 Happened
by ndmd99 (2024-02-13 19:51:57)

In reply to: I believed the law of averages reasoning too.  posted by wearendhockey

I have similar frustrations, but it's not fair to overlook the fact that we had a darn good team that came close to the Frozen Four in 21-22. Outside of the last 15 minutes of the championship game, we probably gave a dominant MSU team its biggest challenge in the tourney (and they only beat us on a puck luck rebound).

That 21-22 team should've had Pastujov, but for reasons beyond JJ's control it didn't happen.

That 21-22 team also should've had B10 defensive POY Brock Faber, but for reasons beyond JJ's control it didn't happen. Gopher board said he committed to US, got homesick while at NTDP, and flipped to the Gophers (apparently this is what probably happened with Cole Eiserman flipping from Gophers to BU).

If we had Faber and Pastujov on that 21-22 team, we're probably a 1-seed with a decent shot at the trophy. Heck with Faber on the team in 22-23, we probably make the tourney last year. We made the tourney as well in 20-21 (although I think we would've been crushed by BC in the 1st round).

This is a different era of NCAA hockey (especially in the last couple years), so comparisons to the Poulin teams aren't really fair either. NIL/portal has changed the landscape. And the amount of talent that is choosing the NCAA route (overwhelmingly consolidated to a couple blue blood schools -- including 4 in the B10) has skyrocketed (especially since Michigan's class in 20-21).

Can't say I'm happy with the past couple weeks (UW especially looks like a team playing way above their pay grade that we should've beaten a couple times). But I'm still in the camp that it'd be a big step backward to force JJ out (and I doubt it happens). If it happens, the new AD better have a slam dunk replacement waiting in the wings.

The immediate success MSU and UW had with coaching changes can't be expected at ND. UW's problem was never talent/recruiting. MSU has NIL $$$ (amongst other reasons).

The coach matters less the more NIL becomes a factor.

There are absolutely things that still need to be addressed. I still think if anyone gets canned ("retired") it should be Pooley. The PP is still a mess. But I doubt that happens.

The likely short post-season for us give all 4 coaches the opportunity to hit the recruiting trail like their careers depend on it. This is Sheahan's first recruiting cycle. It'll be interesting to see what he can do.

It may be hard to imagine right now, but I still really like the trajectory for this team in 2 years.

Landon Slaggert was the last freshman to slot into the top-6. This year we have 3 freshmen that made that jump (Nelson/Knuble/Ali).

Fischer isn't known as an offensive D-man, but he quietly has the best PPG we've seen from a frosh D since Nardella in 15-16 (even though he wasn't on the PP until recently). He does need to cut down on the brain-fart turnovers though.

Kempf looks like a solid net minder.

On the back end, I think there's some better skaters coming in which should make a big difference. Klaers and Aucoin probably both have good shots at getting drafted.

Will Belle isn't a top-10 draft pick superstar, but there's a good chance he has a similar type freshman impact in 25-26 that D. Nelson had this year. Pardue/Stewart/Larrigan probably start in the bottom-6 whoever they get on campus, but have the skill to pop in depth points.

There's still a couple high end forwards uncommitted for 25-26 that we might have a shot at. Regardless, I think we can have a team similar to 21-22 built around speed, mobile/reliable puck moving D, 4 lines that can chip in scoring, and a good goaltender. Hopefully we can figure out the PP as well.

My crystal ball prediction -- No changes to the coaching staff this year. We go through this recruiting cycle. If NIL really gets out of control, JJ may call it quits after next season. Otherwise I bet he (and ND) will give it 2-3 more years to try and right the ship.

Replies: