Thanks for the update. I loved watching the game, but your
by Fighting_Artichoke (2018-11-10 12:41:12)
Edited on 2018-11-10 12:44:32

In reply to: Follow-up notes from the Harvard game.  posted by MPG

perspective from the Pavilion is far superior to mine on my computer here in Scottsdale. I made some comments below but I'll repeat myself a bit so it's all in one place.

The thing that heartened me most was the unselfishness of the group. Everyone passed, although Arike clearly shot a lot! I'm sure Muffet doesn't want her to lose her aggressive edge, and she shot a high percentage and had a team-high 5 assists, so she played well offensively. I was upset when she didn't get a call on a drive and then stayed down the other end while the Crimson attacked, eventually getting a 3-pter because Arike didn't get back. But overall I thought she played a great game. She ran the break very well and finished far more often than not.

Jess was my player of the game though. 28 points on 12/16, 8 boards, 4 assists (vs. 1 TO), a steal and a block in 26 minutes? That's super! That's POY type numbers.

Jackie was steady but not spectacular. It's as if she only goes off offensively if we need it, but I wish she would be more aggressive offensively. She passed well (5 assists vs 1 TO) and played great defense, but 5 shots in 27 minutes? She needs to look for her shot more.

Bri looked a bit rusty, or maybe it was that her teammates have sort of forgotten where she needs the ball. Jess is more versatile offensively, so she is less particular where she receives the ball. But Bri is not that way. I loved the high low alley-oop from Jess. I hope we see more of that. And defensively she is super, but I thought she had more blocks than she was credited with (1). She rebounded very well (11 boards in 21 minutes) and even dished out 3 assists. And I think she defended McD's AA Boehm, and Boehm did not play well offensively (4 points in 17 minutes with 4 PF).

Nixon did fine for her first game with live bullets. Her final stats were not impressive (4 pts, 1-2 FG, 3 ast vs. 6 TO, 3 reb), but she made few really bad decisions, and Muffet believes that she will learn from her mistakes, as she has impressed Muffet with her desire to improve and quickly get her game up to college speed.

Now the bench

Vaughn is so great! So impressed with her. In 23 minutes she secured 6 boards (pretty good) but was 6/7 FG for 12 pts with 4 blocks! Her weakness was 4 PF and 0/2 FT. And she is just a freshman in eligibility! Very nice asset.

Gilbert needs her shoulder issue to subside, because she doesn't look good from outside, but I thought she otherwise looked good. But other teams will leave her open if she can't shoot from the perimeter, and that will hurt team offense and also affect her ability to take people off the dribble (they will play off her).

Prohaska looks good. Her tenacity is obvious and if she can stop fouling she will be that pesky defender that no opposing player will want on her. She looks confident and that's good! Her stats in 18 minutes: 6 pts, 1-3 FG, 4-4 FT, 5 reb, 3 ast, 1 TO, 2 steals.

I was pleasantly surprised that Muffet substituted so liberally in the first half. I know that Harvard was overmatched, but it was still a show of faith for the bench.

Replies: