A Few Post-Syracuse Game Thoughts
by MPG (2020-02-25 13:43:21)
Edited on 2020-02-25 13:45:03

After that nice win on Sunday, it struck me that several ND players seemed to have been reading this board's pre-game speculation about next year's starting line-up:

Mikki Vaughn had her best offensive game of her career scoring several times with spin moves to her left and a nice ten foot jump shot. In the post-game press conference, Muffet mentioned that Mikki has been "playing on one leg" and taking a physical beating. This meshes with what I was seeing in recent games. Barring injury, she is certain to start in the low post next season.

Sam Brunelle was much more agressive in her rebounding with a total of nine rebounds, seven on the defensive end. She also has the team's best variety
of ways to score in the paint. Sam is certain to start at the hybrid forward position because at her best she can score from anywhere as well as rebound. She'll also get more rest with Maddy Westbeld subbing in at times.
In some situations, Sam and Maddy will see time on the floor together.

Katlyn Gilbert showed me that she has the inside track to the starting pg position. She had six assists and two turnovers against a physical defense and helped break the press in the fourth quarter when Marta was beginning to wear down against continuous pressure. I believe that as the primary ball-handler Katlyn will be more relaxed and not force as many shots going to the hoop against much taller post defenders. She'll do her best to be a distributor who can also score when needed. Alasia Hayes should give her some relief in a supporting role.

Destinee Walker is the most dynamic athlete on the current roster and will certainly be a starter next season as the scoring guard. I think I have been seeing her evolve into a more consistent scorer. Alli Campbell should be a good sub for her when needed.

Anaya Peoples and Abby Prohaska should battle for the final starting spot as both bring some toughness and defense. Anaya has the edge in overall talent, but both will play.

I also have my annual hope for a full-court, trapping press unit. How about Abby, Anaya, Alasia, Amirah, and Alli for an "A Team"? Won't it be great to have some depth?

There were no recruits in sight on Sunday; the standing ovation for Tiana M. was long and heartfelt; Sam B. survived being hit by a pom-pom when the team came back on the court before the ND pom squad had finished their routine. There was another good crowd in attendance that really appreciated the team's effort.