Would you say ND has a well-defined recruiting base
by Raoul (2020-05-28 22:28:02)

In reply to: A Few Points on PSU and one on ND...  posted by dillon77

or would you say it is national?

I still tend to think of us getting generally whoever we want in IN and IL. Is there a real pattern beyond those two states historically? We seem to go where the talent is after those two states. Certainly more center of the country and East, though.

I assume Niele knows IL and IN very well. As noted, Mabrey no doubt knows NYC/NJ/Philly just from all the local tournaments growing up. I have to believe Niele will go national herself - wherever the talent is. She may well have that personality.

Define "historically"
by cbiebel  (2020-05-29 04:47:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Until about 15 or so years ago, the top Indiana talent went to UT, and those who didn't usually ended up at Purdue. As Purdue, declined, it became the top talent going to UT, then ND, and finally with UT's decline, ND now has Indiana well in hand.

Don't get me wrong. ND used to get very good Indiana talent (Riley was underrated as a recruit). Most were in the top 25-30 (but not top 10) range. In fact, about 20 or so years ago ND actually had historically had (up to that point) more players from Michigan than from Indiana.

There is one Illinois player and one Indiana player on the
by MPG  (2020-05-28 22:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

current roster. There is only one player on the roster from west of the Mississippi and that is Nicole Benz, who was not recruited. Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania have two each on the roster. There is one New York and one New Jersey player committed for 2021.

Like you, I expect Niele to be looking for the best talent wherever she can find it.