Here's hoping the Ghana-Uruguay game is as spicy
by GoldCoastIrish (2022-12-02 06:28:07)

as LSU tailgate food.

Lord know if Suarez plays they'll be out for blood.

Still the best "heads up" play I've ever seen in sports, though.

YOLO in a single gif.

I think it's been fun so far. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2022-12-02 10:42:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fun watching a game with both teams desperate to score *
by bizdomer09  (2022-12-02 12:11:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because of the 2026 expansion to 48 teams,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-12-02 09:55:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we may never have a day like yesterday again.

Isn’t the second Group stage identical *
by plaid_pants  (2022-12-02 10:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To what we have today?

First group stage is 16 groups of 3. Play two games. Top two advance to a second group stage of 32.

Nothing has been decided as far as I can tell.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-12-02 11:49:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The linked Guardian article from yesterday has the latest conjecture. I suggest reading the whole article but here is an excerpt:

World Cup organisers are increasingly open to discarding the new three-team group format for the 2026 tournament in the US, Mexico and Canada. It comes after concerns that too many dead rubbers in the last round of matches could dilute the expanded, 48-team event.

Although Fifa’s official position remains unaltered, multiple sources say there have been “informal talks” and “corridor chats” in Doha about the benefits of going with 12 groups of four teams rather than 16 groups of three.

the T20 Cricket World Cup used a play-in tournament
by plaid_pants  (2022-12-02 12:09:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This year that worked really well. The big teams got byes for the first group stage. The minnows played an entire group stage and the top two from each group were added to what would be the equivalent of the pot 4 teams for the main tournament.

It sounds a bit like second class citizens, but it actually worked out really well. The play-in tournament was in the same location the week before the main event. The games between the minnows were intense and competitive. And the momentum they gained led to some interesting upsets in the main tournament.

I wouldn’t be upset with a minnows play-in tournament for pot 4 teams.

I predict a spicier matchup in SRB-SWI
by Dr Muppet  (2022-12-02 09:31:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Xhaka doesn't pick up a red card it will be a small miracle

He came damn close.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-12-02 19:45:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit: loved that nit tug.

Xhaka redemption arc in full swing (of the nuts)

Top of the Prem!

You know he's going to be jacked and pumped for that one *
by wcnitz  (2022-12-02 09:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had to wait till extra time for angry Xhaka *
by Dr Muppet  (2022-12-02 15:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Albanian Swiss players perform against Serbia *
by iudomer  (2022-12-02 12:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of all the things Suarez has done on the field
by wcnitz  (2022-12-02 07:02:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That handball is one of those things. Just another ho hum item on a list with way worse shit on it.

He's not an energy vampire. He never bores you. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2022-12-02 09:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post