Korbin Albert forced to appologize
by Tex Francisco (2024-03-29 13:46:14)

While I don necessarily like or agree with Albert's sentiments, I think I speak for the vast majority of Americans when I say that I'm ready for Megan Rapinoe to disappear forever.

When was the activity - recent, years ago, other?
by Grace91  (2024-04-05 13:42:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit - I found that the Rapinoe injury was last November, so somewhat recent. I still haven't found the date of the other occurrence. For anyone potentially near a spotlight, social media is a third rail. Even for the rest of us, it's still a gamble. It's interesting that this is coming up now. Presumably due to Korbin's emergence on the USWNT. She should have done better as a person. Hopefully she has a chance to do so without destroying her career.

I have seen a few articles but have not found that. Hopefully she learns to avoid social media as it seems to wind up with more bad than good. Hard to understand why she would engage in the activity, particularly liking a post that is expressing anything other than regret about someone getting hurt.

It will be interesting to see if this sinks her career before it starts. Thus far the response from the senior members of the team does not look positive. I would have hoped for one that expressed disapproval with her activity while at the same time noting that they would seek to have a discussion with her and help her to learn and improve. Right now all public facing comments that I have seen all have discussed only how it was unacceptable.

I am not saying that her actions were acceptable. They weren't. But the response (edit to clarify) - the response from others to her - has shown no indication of trying to improve things.

At the risk of earning more ignores, Rapinoe was electrifying as a player and was a favorite, but it would be good for her to fade away. Maybe she has, but understandably felt it important to respond in this case. That's fine. We will see how things move forward.

Finally, hopefully Korbin learns from this and becomes a better person and teammate, whatever her beliefs may be. Hopefully she has not ended her career before it began.

I value athlete's opinions about their sport, everything...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-05 16:57:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

else is taken with the same grain of salt as every other human being.

As always, there are layers and subtexts to everything. In the post-game comments after her injury Rapinoe said something like 'If there was a god, this is proof that there isn't one'. Now, she is entitled to her beliefs and opinions like everyone and she is free to express them but she shouldn't be shocked if some people are offended by them and respond. So if someone replies that instead of proof that God doesn't exist, this is a miracle performed by God to prove he exists I don't find that to be any more offensive or controversial. Albert seems like she might be on the religious side and did what teenagers do and liked the post. If I were held publicly accountable for every opinion and idea and 'devil's advocate' thing I said when I was 20 I would have never gotten a decent job in my life. Unfortunately, as a professional athlete and potential representative on the national team those are the possible consequences to having a public discussion of your beliefs.

Rapinoe's response, I think, is a bit over the top. If you are not doing everything in your power every minute of every day to protect the LGBT community then you believe in hate and are responsible for kids killing themselves.

Alexi Lalas has some interesting comments on this situation and what it could and should mean about the national team. This doesn't diminish my opinion of Korbin or her fitness to represent the USA or as former Notre Dame student, she says she will do better and she deserves that chance.

Nice share & I appreciate the link. I also heard this topic
by Domerduck  (2024-04-05 22:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

covered by Megyn Kelly on Sirius. She obviously does not like Rapinoe and her pro-Trans playing in women sports now that her career is over. She felt Korbin was forced her to apologize, something she shouldn't have had to do. Rapinoe could have been helpful and coach the younger Team USA players like Korbin to be careful and better, but her narcisism was to go public and shame her.

The Northwest LGBTQ+ crowd which Rapinoe is their queen have been ruthless in abusing Christians. Their hatred for someone publically supporting Christianity is unforgiving. I was at a game in Portland in 2018 when they were ruthless going after Jaelene Hinkle who wouldn't wear LGBQT uniforms on Team USA so she quit the team. Despite the fact her Lesbian teammates on the Courage supported her when she came to Portland she was booed and called names everytime she touched the ball. It was so bad I have never been to a Thorns match in Portland live since.

Jaelene got married, took her husband's name (also not supported by the squad) and had a baby. She tried to come back in 2022 and now has been run out of soccer. Her Wikipedia page even talks about that Portand game. It was clear Korbin had to apologize if she wants to play on Team USA and not get "cancelled" by the LGBTQ+ squad whom will do anything Rapinoe says.

Not much of a supportive environment now for these women athletes unless you join their Lesbian team and certainly not if you want to wear your Christian beliefs.

She apologized but this story won't die as the
by Raoul  (2024-04-05 22:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lesbian mafia is hellbent on kicking her off the USWNT. Maybe we need two teams.

Rapinoe needs to be exorcized like the demon she is. Her presence on the national stage is an impediment to moving forward more than anything Korbin can post.

Dude, step back from the keyboard
by wcnitz  (2024-04-06 09:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are way too angry about this.

I am angry that the story didn't end with the apology
by Raoul  (2024-04-06 09:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and that it has continued.

Hopefully she'll get playying time tomorrow *
by Domerduck  (2024-04-06 01:36:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Twila Kilgore said they had internal discussions about...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-06 06:36:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

removing Albert from the squad but she will be 'available' to play in the tournament. My guess is she will remain available but will not play at all.

I have not heard any mention of Eva Gaetino in this controversy at all, which is good, but I hope that she is not being drawn into it. As a former teammate at ND and current teammate at PSG I suspect that she is and, as a first time national time member, she just wants to make a good impression with the powers-that-be.

Hopefully that is not the case. We will see. At this point I
by Grace91  (2024-04-06 09:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

am ready for the prior generation to move on, and I would add Horan to that, She is the captain, and her response is an utter failure of leadership in my opinion. Yes, they needed to address the situation, but it has been completely one-sided. Morgan too. She's living off of past glories. I would like them all to go away. some getting swept up unfortunately but bring in more youth and reset.

Regarding Horan, she's good but not great (imnsho). My stance on that should not surprise anyone. Good but not great for your captain doesn't cut it. Her leadership has not particularly stood out to me, either, but maybe she is very effective behind the scenes. For her handling of this dustup she gets an F from me.

She's now playing so I am assuming this is officially over
by Raoul  (2024-04-06 09:05:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now unless she does something stupid on social media.

I am very happy to hear that. She made a mistake, no doubt.
by Grace91  (2024-04-06 09:10:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It should be handled. and she needs to do better. I hope that she and everyone can learn from this, grow, do better, and look forward, not backward.

Thank you for the reply, I am running around and hadn't seen the current status.

I should clarify: she's "available" per Kilgore *
by Raoul  (2024-04-06 09:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was posted before, she is not in the starting lineup...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-06 11:50:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

according to SportingNews and the game does not start until 12:30 pm.

Based on her performance in W Gold Cup I am inferring that she is not starting due to this controversy until someone says otherwise.

They will deserve whatever they get. Their priorities are
by Grace91  (2024-04-06 12:46:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

backwards

If they remove her then every post from every player should
by Raoul  (2024-04-06 08:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be scrutinized by a review board for possible offense to anyone. And if any post was deemed offensive in any way, then remove the person. No apologies can suffice.

Or, we can move forward. Which do people want? In many ways the USWNT is lucky this has stayed quiet since the initial dust-up. Lots of media covered the story and the apology and let it go at that. But then it continues to percolate under the radar with the possible removal. They remove her it will blow up big time. Do they want that?

Again, it may be we need two teams, not one. If they remove her we may see that happen with politicians getting involved.

Thank you for the response, the additional context, and the
by Grace91  (2024-04-05 17:03:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

link.

What I inarticulately was and am trying express is that while I find it unsurprising that Korbin's actions caused problems, I also find the public response to be one-sided. Most of all I hope that she learns from it and that it does not ruin her career.

Agree. We all should try to do better each day. *
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-05 17:15:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liking the church story
by mattchell  (2024-04-04 13:11:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems forgivably innocuous, albeit fairly poorly thought out given her profile. I strenuously disagree with her opinion but that’s just like my opinion man.

Liking the post saying God caused Rapinoe to rupture her Achilles is a horrible mistake. It is one of the worst things a person can do on a team sport. Moronic, immature, cruel, and not something subject to any sort of charitable interpretation.

Megan Rapinoe was at times awesome in key moments on the field up until this last WC cycle. I wish she’d bowed out but I respect her career contributions. I find her personality a little grating and I don’t agree w all of her political opinions, but I respect her intellect and her balls for calling out Trump.

Eff that. She’s entitled to her opinions. *
by sleestakND  (2024-03-30 22:06:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, if one of those opinions is making light of another...
by Rocksteady74  (2024-03-31 19:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... players severe injury, criticism is warranted.

And, as such, she must accept consequences *
by wcnitz  (2024-03-31 10:19:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is near identical to several FB comments from the story
by DakotaDomer  (2024-03-30 16:31:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which I was forced to read to know what the hell you’re talking about.

Narrator: He doesn't speak for the vast majority of Americns *
by Melanzana  (2024-03-29 20:34:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'Forced' to apologize?
by spade  (2024-03-29 16:34:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I take Korbin Albert at her word, she shared a post that she herself described as "offensive, insensitive and hurtful".

As for social media, I agree that being on a National Team anywhere requires an editor to monitor every social media interaction one takes. It is a toxic stew, including here at NDNation at times. Haha just kidding (or maybe not, hah!)

You definitely do not *
by Tubes  (2024-03-29 15:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why athletes (or anyone) participate in social media...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-03-29 14:34:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll never know.

Message boards are a form of social media. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-30 06:22:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so you detected the irony of my statement? *
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-03-30 18:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-31 08:48:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post