I have enjoyed it but I had forgotten how petty
by KnightlyRevue (2020-05-05 17:43:11)

In reply to: Thoughts on Jordan's Last Dance?  posted by DBCooper

Jordan could be and is in his life. I understand that generating motivation for his level of excellence sometimes results in exaggerating the level that people are against you but Jordan takes it to a really negative place and often.

One of the funnier moments in the documentary is when Jordan says that Scottie Pippen delaying his surgery prior to the 97/98 season was "selfish" and left Michael "to carry the team" early in that season. Gosh Michael, was it as selfish as leaving the team entirely to pursue a baseball career for 1.5 years thereby breaking up a dynasty that had just won 3 consecutive titles? I don't remember Pippen or Horace complaining about that when they lost to the Knicks in the conference finals on a bogus call.

Whether its his treatment of Isaiah in eliminating him for the Dream Team, inviting his high school coach to his hall of fame induction speech only so he could embarrass him, or shunning Charles Barkley because Charles had the temerity to say that Michael was not successful as an owner, Michael seems petty and someone who is unwilling to forgive anyone.

I love him as a player and, as a Bulls fan, enjoyed the joy he brought the city I have chosen to live in but I also recognize that Michael is a grudge holder and sometimes comes off as a vindictive and unforgiving figure. The documentary has only accentuated that side of him.

Has it been debunked...?
by DavidAddison  (2020-05-07 18:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Jordan switched to baseball in order to serve a very, very quiet NBA suspension for gambling? That’s what I’ve always believed.

Literally could’ve been a result of a 1-on-1 Stern/Jordan meeting that resulted in serving all purposes.

It *was* selfish of Pippen. You’re in or you’re out. MJ and
by 1NDGal  (2020-05-05 19:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the whole team were extremely sympathetic to Scottie for that joke of a contract. And look what they did to Kukoc in the Olympics. Reinsdorf insistence on not re-negotiating any contract, ever, was unjustifiable. And Krause ... don’t get me started on that putz. What a small man.

But if you’re in, Scottie, you have to be in.

I don’t see why it’s petty to say if you compare me to Clyde, or tell me how good a defender X is, then I’ll prove you wrong. I don’t know what he’s doing in the footage that is petty.

And as for the Scottie Migraine comment, he was mad at the headache, not Scottie. He knew how much Scottie had done to get them to that point. Someone can be mad at a situation like that.

So was it selfish of MJ to quit
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-05-05 22:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On a 3 time champion Bulls team and pursue baseball? Seems like your standard for Pippen and Jordan are different when Jordan was much less “all in” on the team and completely quit in the middle of what could have been the greatest run in the sports history outside of the Bill Russell Boston Celtics.

I did not mention any of the other examples you post as an example of Jordan’s pettiness so I don’t know what point you are making. In terms of his treatment of Isaiah, his hall of fame speech (which was embarrassing at the time as Jordan used portions of it to settle old scores instead of celebrate a lifetime of elite achievement in the court) and in his treatment of a supposed friend in Barkley point to someone who unnecessarily holds grudges and has streaks of pettiness.

Scottie said he’d come back, then delayed his surgery. Half
by 1NDGal  (2020-05-06 16:33:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in, half out.

I remember Jordan’s HOF speech live, and thought it was odd. Mostly because I didn’t know what he was talking about.

I’ve watched it twice more in the last 2 months. I don’t think it was petty. Krause deserved what he got. I don’t think he was being mean to anyone else.

After his dad died?
by DBCooper  (2020-05-05 22:35:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He didn’t retire just to play baseball on a whim. He was tired of the media blitz continuously pushing the gambling angle and than his dad was murdered. A little different than getting a surgery late to make a point about a contract.

A more cynical person might say the media frenzy
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-05-06 11:10:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was caused by MJ himself with the bravado around all of the gambling and leaving his team to go to Atlantic City to gamble being down 2-0 to the Knicks. His father dying obviously played a factor but not enough of one to stop playing sports altogether. Is that selfish?

Look, I know some people want their heroes to be without warts. I said in the first post that I love Jordan and all he did for the city of Chicago. I recognize him as the greatest player of my generation, and even though I like Magic more, its not a close in my opinion and I will rely on Magic's own words "Michael Jordan is the most talented player I have ever seen...by far."

Having said that, there are moments where Michael's insatiable need to be right and invent boogeymen who are against him have made him seem petty and bitter. Go see his hall of fame speech...it's bizarre. Who uses that moment to settle old scores from high school? Scores that no one in their right mind would say that you lost? Michael seems to be comfortable calling out everyone's warts but his own. He lacks a fundamental empathy in certain situations. I feel the documentary has shown that side of him.

I guess I don't know what people are arguing? That Scottie is more selfish than Michael? Uh, ok. There is evidence of that (1.4 seconds is all I have to say) but I also think the original argument that Michael seems like an eternal petty grudge holder is also true.