I'd make a sports comparison
by AquinasDomer (2024-02-09 11:41:35)

In reply to: That wasn't what I was asking, nor do I think it should  posted by krudler

Was Tom Brady as good an athlete at the end of his New England tenure as the start? No. Could he still serve as an NFL QB? Yes. Was he at higher risk of injury or flaming out in a year or two? Yes. People start mentally declining in their 50's/60's so this is a matter of degree. I'd be fine with a 70 year old president. Slower to the draw but maybe more wise than in his 50's. I think Biden's lost speed on his fast ball but is still serviceable.

I think Biden is mentally there enough to be president. But he might have a McConnel moment in the campaign or just fall off during his presidency. If Haley were running I'd be conflicted on the two (Preferring his policies but seeing her as more likely to stay with it and execute foreign policy).

I think he was selfish to run again. I think he should have trusted the primary process to elevate someone with a good chance of winning. However liberal the base is, 2020 showed us they're pragmatic in picking a nominee who could win. If Kamala won that process it would mean she'd drastically improved as a politician.

The error he made on Mexico/Egypt is the kind of mistake I see from competent clinicians in their prime during rounds all the time in the ICU. You clearly describe a disease process or treatment but then state the disease/treatment for another patient.

I think the reaction to the flub shows he has 0 margin for error and needs to get out there a lot. He either shows he's got it or he doesn't. But this low volume speaking strategy leave him open to media freak outs for any mistake, no matter the severity.

Replies: