I only eat things in bar form: Rx Bars are
by anthro_domer (2018-12-11 14:08:33)

In reply to: Breakfast suggestions  posted by irisharab

Pretty good. They're supposedly all whole food items (not that chemicals are bad, but I do think shorter ingredient lists is probably better). They're basically a combo of egg whites, nuts, and dates. I've been eating them for about a year and like them. Chocolate sea salt, Maple, and peanut butter and berries are all pretty good.

One Bars are 100 times better. Highly recommend. *
by 1NDGal  (2018-12-11 16:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm wary of foods with sugar alcohols
by Brandon  (2018-12-11 17:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While generally regarded as a safe sugar substitute, they can sometimes cause havoc on some people's stomachs and have a bit of a laxative effect.

I'll have to give those bars a try to see for myself.

You have to be careful with sugar alcohols
by starburns  (2018-12-12 07:45:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but they're not all bad.

I keep Quest bars and cookies on hand in case I need to carry something non-perishable during travel or when I know I'll be running around all day. They use erythritol or allulose (the latter technically a "rare sugar" and not a sugar alcohol). I've found I don't experience gastro distress with those.

It's maltitol that's usually the killer. It's the one that's most commonly in sugar-free syrup and candy and it apparently has a higher glycemic index than regular sugar.

Rx don't taste all that good. *
by discNDav  (2018-12-11 14:58:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like them.
by EricCartman  (2018-12-11 15:46:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Better than most of the "super extreme" bars out there.

I think it's highly variable on flavor.
by anthro_domer  (2018-12-11 15:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want a huge fan on the blueberry or apple cinnamon. But I think the ones I listed are good, at least compared to any other protein bar (which is admittedly a low bar).

I think they taste good
by Brandon  (2018-12-11 15:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, they have a rough/hard texture that can be cumbersome chew thru. I've found it you give them a quick 5-10 second zap in the microwave, they are a bit easier to eat.

I know quite a few people who went to work for the company shortly after it was founded - they are based in Chicago and grew tremendously in a few short years and were recently acquired by Kellogg's in the last year or so.

They are sticky on the teeth. *
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-12-11 15:10:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have you tried these?
by wcnitz  (2018-12-11 14:10:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are really, really good.

A subscription bar?
by TWO  (2018-12-11 14:51:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only option to buy are subscription. That sucks

That's an Amazon option.
by starburns  (2018-12-12 07:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You get a slightly lower unit price if you schedule regular deliveries. They do that with most of their perishable/grocery goods.

you can switch to one time purchase at a slightly higher pri *
by mjv8198  (2018-12-11 15:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't used to be that way
by wcnitz  (2018-12-11 15:10:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you can get them online from a bunch of retailers.

Does that really state that it’s a dairy-free bar with whey
by 3rdSt  (2018-12-11 14:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

protein isolate as it’s main protein source? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry...

The allergens list on the label includes milk. * *
by starburns  (2018-12-13 04:35:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hah, never noticed that
by wcnitz  (2018-12-11 14:35:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're still tasty, though.

Better be with all those carbs and sugars *
by ShillelaghHugger  (2018-12-11 16:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are post or pre-activity for me
by wcnitz  (2018-12-12 08:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a meal replacement, for sure.

Why does it matter when you eat them?
by starburns  (2018-12-13 04:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What kind of activity do you need 270 calories to supplement?

Yeah
by captaineclectic  (2018-12-12 06:53:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Include me out on a bar with 16 grams of sugar and isn’t candy. A Dove dark chocolate bar has 19.