Update on my son and the soccer coach
by wcnitz (2019-02-11 13:58:05)

Some of you may remember the incident with my 14 year old son being intimidated, grabbed and basically manhandled by an adult coach half a foot taller and probably 100 pounds heavier.

I'll keep the details high level, but he was given what basically amounts to a 2 year ban. I believe this was the max he could given under the rules of the local association.

However, this ban was appealed by the coach to the state level. So, now the state association rules apply.

Assault (minus serious injury) on a minor official according to their governing rules carries a lifetime ban. It's 3 years on a non-minor. At first I was bothered that this was even appealed, but now I am looking forward to the result.

The one thing that really bothers me is that my son would like to move on from this, but it keeps dragging on. But, I'm again hoping that the adults in charge do the right thing.

So how close is the relationship between this guy
by steelhop  (2019-02-11 19:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and snowblower guy. Gotta be second cousins, right?

Both of them are Dutch
by wcnitz  (2019-02-11 19:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You do the math.

Sir Nigel Powers was right *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-02-11 19:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Dutch suck, except for their dikes, and speed skating.
by Hati Hijau  (2019-02-12 01:03:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fuck the tulips, but be careful if you're near a wind mill.

Even if the coach's gamble works...
by 105Marquette  (2019-02-11 17:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and the state throws out the original ban, what parent in his/her right mind would agree to their kid being coached by a sociopath?

The coach that gave his team energy drinks without telling
by graNDfan  (2019-02-12 08:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their parents has started a new club here. And it is signing up kids like gangbusters.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public....

Yes
by wcnitz  (2019-02-12 08:53:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, he has been asked to provide details on his intentions on actually coaching teams in the local league. So this isn't going unnoticed.

I'm missing out on the good scuttlebutt since our kids are
by graNDfan  (2019-02-12 09:16:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no longer playing together!

Exactly right. *
by grnd  (2019-02-12 08:48:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As the Ancients said, "The mills of the gods grind slow,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-02-11 17:29:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but they grind exceedingly fine." Stay the course and here's hoping for the best.

Hoping it works out - your boy deserves the correct outcome
by graNDfan  (2019-02-11 16:16:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the lifetime ban would serve the coach well. It's been quite the trip the last year and half with soccer, hasn't it?

I’m unaware of prior posts. Ever comsider filing an
by LAW83  (2019-02-11 16:09:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Application for criminal charges?

We filed a report
by wcnitz  (2019-02-11 18:56:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Local township ate it.

In my state a private citizen merely needs to go to the
by LAW83  (2019-02-11 19:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Courthouse that serves his community and fill out a private application for a criminal complaint. A hearing generally within 90 or so days. If a clerk finds probably cause an arraignment before a judge scheduled and District Attorney takes over prosecution.

My son was done with it at that point
by wcnitz  (2019-02-11 19:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't want to put him through any more.

Now had the guy physically harmed my kid, we're talking a very different story.

Continued best of luck with the whole subject.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-02-11 14:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree it would be optimal for your son to be able to part ways with the entire bullshit. While a good lesson, it sucks to be only 14 when forced to learn it. All the best!

I would be shocked if the jerk didn't receive lifetime
by catripledomer  (2019-02-11 14:07:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fact that he still thinks he should be allowed to coach in the next 2 years is a really bad sign.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got off with a wrist slap
by Irishlawyer  (2019-02-12 18:57:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The soccer world is nothing but a good 'ol boys network. They pay lots and lots of lip service to doing the right thing, protecting refs, stopping abusive coaches, and putting kids first, but the truth is, the big clubs have lots of power and the big time coaches have lots of friends.

I hope that this guys gamble blows up in his face, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the fix is in.

In this case it seems to be getting handled well
by wcnitz  (2019-02-12 21:05:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The club terminated him right after his suspension, which came about a week after the incident.

That's excellent. I hope it works out for you both. *
by irishlawyer  (2019-02-12 23:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting. Does he coach his own kid(s) or
by Irish Tool  (2019-02-11 14:06:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is he a non-parent coach for the club? If he doesn't have any younger kids, then maybe in his mind 2 years is effectively lifetime.

If he didn't realize the different punishment available and walks into a lifetime ban, that's pretty funny.

Agreed on the idiot setting himself up for a lifetime ban.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-02-11 14:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Outstanding bit of karmic justice.

The former
by wcnitz  (2019-02-11 14:24:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe he coaches his kids, so yes he may have approached it that way.

And I've seen the increased ban/suspension happen with appeals since FAs and associations can impose longer bans on offenses than were originally given (think a 2 game ban for a straight red card that was REALLY bad, and the player appeals and the FA turns around and gives him 4 games instead).