The greatest female vocalist of all time.
by IAND75 (2019-08-21 20:35:01)

Can’t wait to see this.

Trailer at the link.

Marilyn McCoo will never get the recognition she deserves
by JACC1203  (2019-08-24 02:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whitney Houston belongs towards the top as well.

Linda Ronstadt said of . . .
by The Flash  (2019-08-23 10:27:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . Maria Callas, "There's no one in her league. That's it. Period."

Hard not to list Barbara Streisand and Lady Gaga
by dulac89  (2019-08-22 23:27:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition, I'd vote for Adele, Aretha, Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin, Karen Carpenter, Ann Wilson, Judy Garland, and Julie Andrews as my greatest of all time. Lady Gaga probably raises some eyebrows, but she is making a quite a claim to being one of the greatest of all time as she continues to kill it in multiple different genres.

Mavis Staples *
by meatwhistle  (2019-08-22 22:16:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ella Fitzgerald, Doris Day, Judy Garland. *
by djpall  (2019-08-22 17:23:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Édith Piaf *
by nd71  (2019-08-22 14:47:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edith Prickley
by ArasEra  (2019-08-22 15:28:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

[snort!] BAH HA HA HA! *
by sprack  (2019-08-22 17:54:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1968 downtown South Bend....
by mkovac  (2019-08-22 14:47:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The MacKenzie brothers attended ND, and were very interesting and intelligent young men.

John and Lou, with Lou being older and a Classics scholar.

John - well, I'm not sure what he major was. Maybe he was like so many of the rest of us and floundering a bit.

He found himself in a downtown bar or whatever it was called and ordered himself a drink. There was an attractive young woman by herself, so John went over and introduced himself and asked if he could sit with her. She smiled, said yes and they proceeded to get along famously.

I can't remember if John bought her a drink or not.

After about 45 minutes, a guy got up onstage and said that he was honored to introduce "The Stone Poneys" who had the big hit, "Different Drum."

John recognized the song but was nonplussed when the attractive young lady he had been talking to politely excused herself, walked up onto the stage and belted out the song.

He told us later, "I was hanging out with Linda Ronstadt and didn't know it."

Typical ND guy. Great memory for John.

In a list of great female vocalists - some not named ....
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-22 14:40:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eva Cassidy
Cher
Julie Andrews
Tina Turner
Etta James

Not arguing any of these are the best (how do you quantify that?), just that I haven't seen them mentioned

Also Cyndi Lauper was reported to have a 4 octave vocal range

Jazz: Billie Holiday; Rock: Chrissie Hynde *
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-08-22 14:24:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Emmylou Harris. *
by Bruno95  (2019-08-22 14:12:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jo Stafford *
by 02DAD  (2019-08-22 14:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The young Sinead O'Connor (late 1980's) had an amazing
by Raoul  (2019-08-22 13:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

voice for concerts. Shockingly powerful for someone so petite.

Someone you've never heard sing.
by Section12  (2019-08-22 13:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My kindergarten granddaughter.

Ella *
by Manor76  (2019-08-22 12:51:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Barbra, Norah *
by zaggie  (2019-08-22 12:51:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Celine *
by Allumeuse  (2019-08-22 12:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cecelia Bartoli
by TCIrish03  (2019-08-22 12:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Janis. *
by Fresno Mike  (2019-08-22 12:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gotta put in a word for Agnetha Fältskog, Anni-Frid Lyngstad
by sprack  (2019-08-22 11:28:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sue me, I think they have beautiful voices.

Saw her in 1977
by PWK2  (2019-08-22 11:18:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

right after cancer surgery hospitalization. I took my nurse to the show. Both she and Linda were scalding hot.

Linda had a great voice, but I'm not sure it was better than Karen Carpenter's.

Linda is an archetype of a certain type of singer: she doesn't write music, she doesn't write lyrics, she doesn't arrange, she doesn't play an instrument, she doesn't dance. All she does is sing.

Lauryn Hill
by tenn_subway  (2019-08-22 11:06:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has pieces of Linda Ronstadt in her stool.

I wouldn't put her in the top 50

I bought her tape
by EricCartman  (2019-08-22 15:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so that her kids didn't starve.

one time
by ACross  (2019-08-22 11:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two times.

That was Wyclef Jean.
by ewillND  (2019-08-22 13:56:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lauryn Hill’s vocals were excellent as usual. Your adherence to U2 and only U2 blinds you to lots of talented musicians. But hey, I liked The Joshua Tree, too.

Sometimes you fight when the circumstances dont call
by ACross  (2019-08-22 16:29:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For it. Yes, i know Wyclef contributed those inspired backing vocals. Not sure how you drew an inference to the contrary. I do think she is terrible. More because of her curious manner of singing "boy" so as to sound like wass when he is barfing up fur ball.

Buwaya.

Your only contributions to this thread...
by ewillND  (2019-08-23 01:39:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

were to make fun of others' taste in music. I'm not sure what the point of that was.

There are a lot of great singers in this thread. I would have listed Ella Fitzgerald, Whitney Houston, and several of the others here. You don't have to listen to their music, but their vocal abilities are undeniable. Do you happen to have any suggestions?

She's great *
by Molly Maguires  (2019-08-22 11:08:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Annie Lenox, Stevie Nicks, Lady Gaga *
by mike-nd  (2019-08-22 10:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gaga is a once in a generation talent *
by sprack  (2019-08-22 11:28:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep. *
by ewillND  (2019-08-22 14:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention *
by dillonhall  (2019-08-22 10:27:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Laura Nyro. *
by HoundDog1973  (2019-08-22 10:16:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ronstadt was an outstanding voice in her prime...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-08-22 09:54:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...A very wide range of pitch, timbre, and emotion delivered with memorable impact.

I guess Faustina Bordoni won't be on anyone's list today, but she had a great run in the 18th century.

There are all kinds of great female voices in recent times across all genres. Here are a couple in the classical mode, one chosen for the season, and one because you may have heard the tune in a current car commercial.

1. "September," from Vier letzte Lieder (Four Last Songs) by Richard Strauss, who wrote them in 1948 at age 82. The poem is by Hermann Hesse. Here is the text as used by Strauss with my literalistic translation, which will sound a bit like Yoda speaking:

Der Garten trauert,
kühl sinkt in die Blumen der Regen.
Der Sommer schauert
still seinem Ende entgegen.

Golden tropft Blatt um Blatt
nieder vom hohen Akazienbaum.
Sommer lächelt erstaunt und matt
in den sterbenden Gartentraum.

Lange noch bei den Rosen
bleibt er stehen, sehnt sich nach Ruh.
Langsam tut er die müdgewordnen Augen zu.

(The garden mourns,
Coolly sinks into the flowers the rain.
The summer shivers
quietly its end against.

Golden drop leaf upon leaf,
down from the high acacia tree.
Summer smiles astonished and wan
in the dying garden dream.

Long still by the roses,
remains it standing [ugh--stehenbleiben is best translated "stay a while" here], longs it for peace.
Slowly puts it the weary-become eyes to [slowly it closes its weary eyes. German throws the prefixes of separable verbs, in their finite forms, to the end. Shows up in English in phrase like "Are you taking these out?" where the verb is "to take out" but in German would be as if it were "outtaken"].

Sung by Lisa Della Casa, a great singer (RIP), with the Vienna Phil flying at tempos quicker than the versions by Schwatzkopf, Flagsted, et al. but supposedly in line with what Strauss wanted.

2. "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" ("The wrath of hell cooks in my heart"), Mozart, from The Magic Flute. Volvo uses this in a sweet, soft rendition that is completely contrary to the emotion of the text. Here it is in English:

Hell's vengeance boils in my heart;
Death and despair blaze around me!
If Sarastro does not feel the pain of death because of you,
Then you will be my daughter nevermore.

Disowned be forever,
Forsaken be forever,
Shattered be forever
All the bonds of nature
If Sarastro does not turn pale [in death] because of you!
Hear, gods of vengeance, hear the mother's oath!

Sung by Patricia Petibon, a French soprano, here in a rehearsal.

Singing something like this takes tremendous physical exertion and contortions of the head, neck, and really your whole body in order to make sounds that resemble music...kind of like putting together a good golf swing, I guess.

2nd Ronstadt *
by 02DAD  (2019-08-22 14:04:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Patricia Petibon was Richie's sister
by BeijingIrish  (2019-08-22 12:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid.

I actually thought of that the first time I heard of her...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-08-22 18:30:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I mean, what would be so odd about a family with a pro football player and an opera singer? We already have the Bayless brothers (Rick the chef and Skip the sports pundit).

Adele, Sarah Brightman, Lea Salonga. *
by DBCooper  (2019-08-22 09:41:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would listen to Regina Spektor sing her grocery list
by milhouse  (2019-08-22 09:32:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or a medical dictionary or stereo instructions or whatever else she chose to sing to me.

Gladys Knight probably isn't, but
by OCND  (2019-08-22 09:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Midnight Train to Georgia" is a masterpiece of a song.

Ann Wilson
by TAR  (2019-08-22 08:35:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Nancy sure can make that guitar sing as well

This. Would also vote for Annie Lennox *
by NJND96  (2019-08-22 10:35:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tough to argue that. *
by CMillar  (2019-08-22 09:12:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amy Lee from Evanescence, Pat Benatar, certainly Whitney
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-22 08:18:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love Linda Ronstadt, too. You’re No Good is pure gold.

Such impeccable taste *
by ACross  (2019-08-22 08:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your vote for Kate Pierson is noted. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-08-22 09:37:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know! It’s both a gift and a burden. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-22 09:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yoko Ono - what she could do to any song is beyond words *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-08-22 07:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best rant on Yoko
by ShillelaghHugger  (2019-08-22 11:39:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She can't hold a candle to Roseanne Barr *
by sprack  (2019-08-22 11:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Callas documentary came out a few years ago. *
by ndtnguy  (2019-08-22 07:41:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fitzgerald, Carey, Franklin, Houston *
by Molly Maguires  (2019-08-22 07:15:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rock on *
by ACross  (2019-08-22 07:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are we being serious or sarcastic here? *
by Molly Maguires  (2019-08-22 09:08:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You should get together with ndgal and have a karaoke party
by ACross  (2019-08-22 10:38:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then watch some crap tv.

It wasn't about preference
by Molly Maguires  (2019-08-22 11:07:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty sure you're not going to find any of them on my playlist.

But it's okay to recognize talent.

they should do a duet of "Nothing Compares to U"
by jt  (2019-08-22 10:41:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and sing it in your honor, of course.

While ripping a picture of
by DBCooper  (2019-08-22 11:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou Holtz.

You take that back! You know exactly which coach’s picture
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-22 11:50:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would rip up.

But that’s the point
by DBCooper  (2019-08-22 12:24:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She ripped up the Pope, it wasn’t Farrakhan

I love listening to LR but Karen Carpenter had an amazing
by 1978Irish  (2019-08-22 03:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

voice that was very pretty.

I have to agree
by wildesilas  (2019-08-22 08:54:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Karen Carpenter's voice was amazingly powerful and soothing at the same time. Probably the most recognizable voice.

If only Mama Cass had given her ham sandwich to Karen...

You are a bad man *
by ufl  (2019-08-22 09:05:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Live by the sandwich.... *
by mkovac  (2019-08-22 14:38:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Undoubtedly among the top 3
by BeijingIrish  (2019-08-21 23:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whitney Houston and Aretha deserve consideration. I suppose you need to categorize, i.e., pop, jazz, opera. I've seen Maria Callas ranked #1 among all comers. Some might propose Ella Fitzgerald.

I think if your version of "Tracks of my Tears" is better than Smokey Robinson's, you deserve some kind of prize.

No doubt she's a great one *
by PabloFanque  (2019-08-21 21:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hayley from Paramore? Aretha? Crow? Dion? Aguilera?
by ferndog  (2019-08-21 21:34:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Billie Holiday? Any of the Andrews Sisters? Cher? Carrie Underwood? Patsy Cline? Maria Callas? Joplin? Maria McKee? Dusty Springfield? Rosemary Clooney?

I don’t get the fawning over Ronstadt: to me she sounds completely adequate and fine, common like the female lead in your high school’s musical play. I listened intensely to the supposedly mythical live concert in Hollywood from her peak they just released: she’s flat in places, and sounds completely commonplace. I will say, however, that some of the songs are fantastic: they remind me of growing up in the 70’s.

Maria McKee had that something extra
by volley  (2019-08-22 07:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure you'd call it soul, but there was a lot inside of her that would come out when she sang.

Check out her solo albums, in chronological order.
by ferndog  (2019-08-22 11:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blue-eyed soul, a la Dusty Springfield. Fantastic records.

They making a movie about Janis Joplin? *
by FL_Irish  (2019-08-21 20:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jackie Jomp-Jomp
by volley  (2019-08-22 07:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They couldn't get the rights to her story or music.

The Rose *
by Barney68  (2019-08-21 21:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Synonym's just another word for the one you wanna use *
by captaineclectic  (2019-08-21 21:08:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very good *
by ufl  (2019-08-22 08:06:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saved you a click: Linda Ronstadt *
by thatguy  (2019-08-21 20:38:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you, that means I have to click. *
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-08-21 20:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is she singing National Anthem while wearing Dodger jacket? *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-08-21 21:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post