Family member diagnosed with tinnitus. Has been told not
by other_guy (2019-08-24 12:04:13)

much one can do. Is this really the case?

. . . truly appreciate all the insight and help. Thank you *
by other_guy  (2019-08-24 20:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will mostly notice it when trying to sleep
by NJND96  (2019-08-24 20:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recommend getting a white noise machine or fan for their bedroom.

find a cure, let me know, I've found nothing. *
by discNDav  (2019-08-24 18:19:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep
by Denver95  (2019-08-24 15:51:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hearing aids will help a bit, but won’t cure it. It will become background noise over time to the point your family member likely won’t notice it unless he/she consciously focuses on it.

That's it for a lifetime. I have it, 24 hours a day
by ProV1x  (2019-08-24 15:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a constant light roar noise. Tinnitus came on after my first stroke in November along with loss of hearing, constant dizziness, and loss of balance. Common nerve damage after a stroke.

I've had a second stroke but there has been no additional nerve damage fortunately. I now wear a hearing aid, however it does not stop or help with Tinnitus. I've also been taking Vestibular Rehab Therapy trying to "possibly" retrain the inner ear nerves involved. VRT along with Father Time might help me but time is leaving town. Golden Years are a bitch for me but they're golden for the physicians and pharmacists.

About all I can do at the golf course now is give lessons sitting in a chair on the range. I'm very blessed and thankful I can do that though. Former UL coach Denny Crum was brought into the ICU room next to mine with his second stroke also. His symptoms were complete paralysis of the right side of his body and loss of his ability to swallow. He's probably finished with his rehab now and I've heard he's progressing. Denny and I were both in pretty good health and physical condition, non smokers, light drinkers, when we had our strokes so one never knows.

o_g I hope your family member can possibly get over Tinnitus.

My dad has had it for years.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-08-24 14:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had a sudden loss in one ear (probably from an illness, don’t know if it was ever really determined).

He wears (needs) hearing aids now. A family member is an audiologist and help set him up. I suggest the person you are asking about do the same.

Doesn’t bother my dad at night since he has a pillow speaker hooked up to a WiFi radio so yes “listening” to something as he goes to sleep.

Hope this helps!

Got it in right ear; loss all frequencies, especially highs.
by ferndog  (2019-08-24 14:47:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even human voice.

I’ll have to do something eventually, can be fixed w/ hearing aid. Just priced one out at Hear USA and they were asking about $3k. I told them to pound sand.

I’ve got to go check out Costco, or another provider.

I bought my hearing aid at Cosco after going to an
by ProV1x  (2019-08-24 15:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Audiologist who sells them and a top brand Hearing Aid outlet. I have been more than extremely happy with Cosco Hearing Center on all counts but prices were still close to the range of the other two hearing device providers I went to. Those things aren't cheap, but Cosco does give one a SIX month trial period with full refund if you are dissatisfied. Fantasticmost give 45 days. The higher price for mine is probably because I completely have no hearing in my right ear but I bought a little speaker device my wife or someone can wear and their voice goes directly into my hearing aid. I can hear them from another room or outside...which is good or bad according to what one wants to pay attention to.

Can I just say I enjoy your posts and am always happy to
by eriendfan  (2019-08-24 22:13:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See you posting. Always positive, informative and optimistic. I am a big fan.

Must be from that time you spent at Fairlawn CC. Akron folks keep it real. 😊

Stay well my friend.

My dad’s hearing aid has a Bluetooth connection to his phone
by EricCartman  (2019-08-24 18:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s pretty cool, when it works.

Great for him. I have to say I'm still a flip phone guy,
by ProV1x  (2019-08-25 19:43:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but most of the time I have it turned off because a call might be for me.

Costco as well and I recommend them. *
by Barney68  (2019-08-24 17:46:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hearing aids
by jas (click here to email the poster)  (2019-08-24 14:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

check eargo on the web. I wear them.

Not military and thank all . . . *
by other_guy  (2019-08-24 14:30:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hearing aids can help
by CountyKerry  (2019-08-24 14:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If your family member has some hearing loss, particularly in the high frequency range, hearing aids can help mitigate the tinnitus (I offer this from personal experience).

One theory proposed as a cause for tinnitus is that when the ability to hear high frequencies degrades, the mind wants to fill in those frequencies with noise, because it has become habituated to hearing "something" in that range. When you restore the hearing in those frequencies with hearing aids, the tinnitus gets noticeably better. I experience this almost every day, if I have my hearing aids out for a while. My tinnitus gets worse, until I put them back in. There is a very direct cause and effect relationship.

Good news. I hope mine stop as suddenly as they came on. *
by ProV1x  (2019-08-24 15:34:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had it for years ... finally had to add hearing aids ...
by Barney68  (2019-08-24 12:48:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a couple years ago.

The "good news" is that there are a lot of worse afflictions. The bad news is that I provide that information from personal experience.

My MIL has it
by fontoknow  (2019-08-24 12:37:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From what I understand there is very limited treatment.

Is he or she a vet? *
by TripleDomer  (2019-08-24 12:12:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

military? *
by BacTien  (2019-08-24 12:12:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post