Drive from Chicago to Evanston
by BuckeyeJohn05 (2019-10-17 16:29:50)

Just made a last minute decision to attend the OSU Northwestern game. Is it an easy drive to to Evanston from downtown Chicago?

I will also stop bt ND to see the grotto and campus. Haven’t been there in 15 years

Visit my birthplace
by BeijingIrish  (2019-10-18 20:28:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Evanston Hospital, not far from the stadium. The event--my birth--is commemorated in a statue in the courtyard.

A place of pilgrimage. *
by Nitschke  (2019-10-19 06:50:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same answer as before
by DakotaDomer  (2019-10-17 18:03:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It depends on where you’re staying in Chicago

There are several reasons not to drive...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-10-17 17:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in order of acuteness.

1. The Chicago teachers are on strike, and are picketing downtown. I spoke to someone down there a while ago and they said it's a mess. If this is happening tomorrow afternoon it will impact traffic in the Loop (if you're staying on N. Michigan Avenue it might not be as affected).

2. Friday afternoon rush hours in Chicago are the worst.

3. It is hard to get to Evanston by car from anywhere, unless you live really near by (Rogers Park, west Ridge, Skokie, Morton Grove, Wilmette, Kenilworth, etc.). This is an eternal rule handed down from the 20th century (sorry, dfw et al.!).

If you're an intrepid driver who doesn't mind getting held up by traffic here and there, and if you don't mind hunting for parking, most likely some blocks away from the stadium, then go for it. Otherwise I'd take Wilford Brimley's advice.

ND campus will be nice and quiet this weekend--just came from there. The students are starting midterm break. You can take a gander at the newly-rebuilt Corby Hall, Crossroads, and probably a lot of things that weren't there 15 years ago, such as the remodeled Morris Inn. Stop by Rohr's--the current version will go away in about a month.

Your #3 is a proud feature to keep people away.
by dfw  (2019-10-17 18:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And thoroughly correct- it sucks driving here and tomorrow, no one is going to park near the stadium.

For BuckeyeJohn...
Take the Metra and get off at Davis to go eat in downtown Evanston and then take a shuttle to the game.

Just for the record, I love Evanston...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-10-17 19:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...once I step out of the car!

Could you stay at hotel in Evanston?
by Hometown fan  (2019-10-17 17:30:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We did last year for ND game and took hotel shuttle to game and public bus after game. It would have been an easy walk back if not for cold rain.

Article in the Tribune today about logistics issues
by Anthro_Domer  (2019-10-17 17:22:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with that game. I'd probably second the public transportation, as I can't imagine what parking will be like up there. Northwestern is also opening the stadium early, as well as what sounds like a bar of sorts.

Concessions and bathroom lines inside that dump
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-10-17 19:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are impossible to navigate.

Driving is fine if you park and walk over to the stadium. Parking near the stadium, probably not ideal.

Spent half the article talking about our game last year *
by El Kabong  (2019-10-17 17:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My B-I-L still talks about how fun it was to see all the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-10-17 17:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

house parties in the Evanston/Wilmette area on the afternoon/evening of that game. He wishes ND would play there more often.

Was at one on Friday and one on Saturday. It was great
by sprack  (2019-10-17 18:27:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Classmates came in from all over the country, too..

I spent much of the pregame tailgaters saying
by crazychester  (2019-10-17 18:11:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should play here every year,

Then I tried to enter and navigate the stadium and immediately said, much more forcibly and seriously, we should never play here again!

Complete and utter amateur hour

The entire eastern half of the stadium is a joke
by airborneirish  (2019-10-21 23:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there are 12 urinals for several thousand fans.

Louisville was a similar amateur hour for entrance. *
by Slotts  (2019-10-17 19:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think people forget how nice ND Stadium is
by crazychester  (2019-10-17 20:34:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even in relation to other blubloods

uSC....awful
Michigan.....love the town awful
DKR....ditto
Camp Randall ....ditto

I haven't found anything that comes close to ND at the college level when discussing logistics and amenities

The worst thing about Michigan Stadium is the people in it *
by sprack  (2019-10-18 10:48:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. *
by Bruno95  (2019-10-18 05:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What is DKR? I agree with your point...
by Slotts  (2019-10-17 21:02:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have not found anything close yet myself.

Texas
by crazychester  (2019-10-17 21:03:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will brook no debate on this. ND has the nicest stadium in CFB and it's not close

It is an utterly awful stadium *
by sprack  (2019-10-17 18:27:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take the train instead
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-10-17 17:16:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purple line or UP-N up to Evanston.

Traffic will not be fun near the stadium for that game, and even on a good day, it's 30 - 40 minutes up Lakeshore and the back roads between LSD and campus.

This is the correct answer.
by Domer84  (2019-10-17 17:41:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purple line El stops at Central St. 3 blocks east of the stadium.

The Metra North line (commuter train) also stops at Central 2 blocks west of the stadium.

Do not drive.

I'd vote for the Metra
by HTownND  (2019-10-17 17:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Over the El

Mostly because you can drink on Metra.

Plus, it's one train, no switches.

Depending on where he's staying he may have to change trains a few times to get to the purple line.

Coldest night of my life was waiting at Howard Road
by Barrister  (2019-10-18 00:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

station for an hour at 3am on New Years for the damn purple line when I lived in Evanston. Loved my tiny apartment at Hinman and Main though. The elevators not so much.

It may be against the law to drink on the L
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-10-17 19:24:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's not really against the law.

Maybe, but I’ve commuted via L for nearly 3 years...
by revressbo  (2019-10-17 19:50:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and take it semi-frequently outside of to/from work, and I can count on only one hand the number of times I’ve seen a person drinking on the L. That includes the homeless/mentally ill.

Of course, one of those few times was a bunch of ND fans on the red line (prior to transfer to purple) up to Evanston for the ND-Northwestern game last year, so...

Yes. Straight shot up LSD. *
by tar  (2019-10-17 16:36:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first thought as well. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-10-17 17:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . to Sheridan Road, left on Devon, right on Clark and
by sprack  (2019-10-17 16:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stay on it until it merges back with Sheridan Road, left on Central.

Clark changes names to Chicago Avenue in Evanston.

That way will be hell tomorrow afternoon.
by dfw  (2019-10-17 18:52:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just stay on Sheridan.