A question about internet speeds...........
by Ty Webb (2020-07-02 10:15:45)
Edited on 2020-07-02 10:17:01

I currently get my internet through FIOS. I have the 100/100 plan. I do have an older router, the old Actiontec router Verizon used. Router is located in the basement as that's where the coax and cat cable come into the router (cat cable has to connect to router for TV guide).

I am sitting at my work computer one story up. I have been running speed tests periodically and I am getting download speeds of 25-30 and uploads of around 10-15. I have no idea if this is typical to see numbers significantly lower than what you technically are paying for. Right now, the family room TV is streaming Disney+ and my two other kids are doing some learning projects on their tablets. So clearly internet speed will be affected.

To add to this, the wife is starting a new job and will be working from home. She will be on the internet 8-9 hours a day, at least.

Should I get a new router or is the drop in internet speeds (from 100 to 25-30) typical for standard usage in a house?

Couple of thoughts ....
by NDBob  (2020-07-02 12:50:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) How are you measuring the speeds? Latency can artificially limit the maximum throughput for single download/upload stream if it is high.

2) As others have said wireless can also be a limiting factor especially if everything is sharing the same wireless and it is an older wifi router. If you can run a hard-line to your work computer, try to do so. Also try plugging a laptop or computer directly into the router and run the speed-test there, ideally when you know everything else in the house is off or idle.

Answers
by Ty Webb  (2020-07-02 13:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was using various websites like fast.com to test the speed.

I also just connected to the router directly via cable and I got the 100 download and upload speeds (actually upload was a little faster).

Do you know if you're using 802.11ac?
by LastDon  (2020-07-02 15:46:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

802.11n is theoretically capable of 450Mbps or whatever, but I find that it is much slower in practice, such that my 150Mbps service gives 25-30Mbps readings on speed tests.

Using the same service with 802.11ac, I tend to see 100Mbps or greater most of the time.

Looks like 802.11n *
by Ty Webb  (2020-07-02 16:02:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Slight thread hijack -- Centurylink DSL.....
by Marine Domer  (2020-07-02 12:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They suck, but they are the only game in town for me. I have to use a Centurylink DSL modem-router. It works OK, but my signal more than 20 feet from the router stinks. I bought the modem rather than renting, Zyxel C1000Z, which isn't great, but there is a very limited selection that is compatible with Centurylink DSL. Do I have any good options other than simply installing a wifi extender?

Your numbers are typical.
by Jess  (2020-07-02 10:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Comcastic" 100/6 Mbps service, 802.11n router (300 Mbps max Wifi speed)

WiFi router is in our basement ("cellar," whatever).

3yo laptop reaches ~50 Mbps downstairs, ~30 upstairs;

1yo laptop reaches ~80 Mbps downstairs, ~45 upstairs;

Cheap Android phone hits ~40 Mbps downstairs, ~25 upstairs.

Can you plug a multi channel mesh router into Telco box?
by fontoknow  (2020-07-02 10:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As discussed as recently as Sunday or Monday....lots of options. They should have a dramatic impact on your network quality and speed.

This is the correct answer.
by OCND  (2020-07-02 11:12:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Google Wifi will sort out all the channel maximization / 2.4 GHz signal crap for you. I had the same problem. Now that I have Google Wifi, I actually outperform my plan (usually about 120 Mbps on Comcast 100 Mbps).

If you live in a) a big house and/or b) a densely populated area, you're likely fighting for small pieces of 2.4GHz WiFi signal, which will drop your speeds quite a bit.

Doesn't sound like he needs it
by 3AONEILL08  (2020-07-02 13:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His speeds are typical and don't suggest a problem with WiFi coverage. I've got Google Nest Wifi and love it, but when I'm further from an access point there is still drop in speed when. I run tests. Luckily it's still plenty fast.

25-30 down on a 100/100 plan? Not sure about that. *
by OCND  (2020-07-02 13:48:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just ran some speed numbers
by Ty Webb  (2020-07-02 14:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I plugged our laptop directly into the router and got the 100/100 speed. Then I unplugged the laptop and ran a speed test with the laptop next to the router over the wifi network. Speed dropped to 46/37.

I then tested the speed using one of our iPads. Again testing right next to router I got a speed of 79/70. I then tested my iphone and got 60/50.

Nothing else is streaming in our network right now.

I did find some people that successfully were able to set up an Eero mesh system using a double NAT (or bridge) set up. I may try that. I may upgrade the router too as it won't cost me much to rent one from Verizon (actually it's like $3 a month).

Follow up..........
by Ty Webb  (2020-07-02 11:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apologies for not reading the previous thread.

We have FIOS and the signal comes into the ONT in the garage and from there a coax runs into the house and is split to various TVs and router. There is also a CAT run from the ONT into the router as well (this is how FIOS handles the TV guide for some reason - if I discount the CAT from the router, the TVs lose their TV guides).

What would be the best approach to get a stronger signal? When font says go to the telco box, is he saying the ONT? Or is he just saying dump the Verizon router and plug in a mesh router?

As noted, that would be an issue because it would kill the TV guides to the TVs. Maybe I could plug a mesh router into the Verizon router?

EDIT: The more I read, the more it's tough to go outside the Verizon world for this stuff. And with Verizon introducing new Verizon ONE TV boxes, they are even more reliant on the Verizon router. Verizon has some router and extender options, so I may look into that.

You'd plug the mesh router into your Verizon router
by OCND  (2020-07-02 13:07:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It then a) maximizes channel/signal usage and b) extends the signal.

At least that's what Google Wifi does. I assume every other mesh system does the same thing. I general, I wouldn't buy anything from Verizon.

Is this the product you're talking about? (link)
by Four Pillars  (2020-07-02 14:16:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the one. *
by OCND  (2020-07-02 14:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks! *
by Four Pillars  (2020-07-02 14:30:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wireless is more susceptible to drops in speed.
by cujays96  (2020-07-02 10:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is a list of causes for slower wifi. If you are all fighting for the 2.4GHz signal, that will slow all your devices down.

The simplest thing you can do is reboot the router. Also, ensure any devices that aren't actively being used are off or in home screen type mode. eg When not in use we ensure we put our Roku on the home screen, even though it is wired, so NetFlix or Hulu doesn't try to run even though the TV is off.

Additionally, wire up as much as possible
by El Kabong  (2020-07-02 10:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HTown gave me great advice a couple months ago -- if something in your house is stationary and uses the Internet, why do you have it on WiFi?

I brought someone in to run CAT-7 wire to the three televisions using Internet in the house, and it definitely made a difference for all the other devices (e.g. cell phones, kids' laptops) using the WiFi.

I second running Cat7 *
by ODSCHOOL  (2020-07-02 11:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any thoughts on it not being standard?
by NDBass  (2020-07-02 12:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just skimmed a few articles, but it appears cat7 isn't a standard. It uses a different connector as well. Seems like cat6a or cat8 might be better, but it might depend on needs, run lengths, etc.

Was the 7 a typo?
by NDBob  (2020-07-02 12:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because unless you got some sort of a great deal there's really no reason to run anything above 5E in a home as that will handle gig ethernet at up to 100m.

Cat7...cat8...whatever it takes. *
by Bluntschli  (2020-07-02 12:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post