Sounds like the vaccines are working rather well (link)
by sprack (2021-04-15 12:09:17)
Edited on 2021-04-15 12:11:12

There’s a paywall here, but the gist is in the first paragraphs.

Most sensible and scientific info I've seen is
by noahdog  (2021-04-16 19:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

via Dr Bhattachyra (sp) out of Stanford.

Weird that cases are going up n’wide and MI has record
by osbournecox  (2021-04-15 19:52:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hospitalizations. That’s record since the beginning... Guess we can’t spike the football yet, or risk being Plax

Wonder when the tipping point will be

Did Easter visits have anything to do with this? *
by irishguard78  (2021-04-15 20:11:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of Spring Break travel around my neighborhood.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 21:33:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I caught it from a coworker who brought it back from New Orleans.

I think the problem is that a lot of people have already prematurely spiked the football.

Spring break makes sense as does probably easter
by osbournecox  (2021-04-16 00:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe cases aren’t so bad given those events. I forgot about spring break because it is not a part of my life with a 2 and 6 year old and being a cpa. Sorry you caught it, that sucks. Hope you are better soon.

At least we got microchipped. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-04-15 14:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ASCEND TO DROID-DOM, BROTHERS AND SISTERS *
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2021-04-15 21:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got 10 calls today from Molly that mine's been hacked
by SixShutouts66  (2021-04-15 18:49:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alex, who has a funny accent, says he can fix it if I let him log onto my computer. I'm breathing a sigh of relief now, since I want everyone to stay away from my chip.

Once they planted the chip in my arm and altered my genes
by irishguard78  (2021-04-15 18:35:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve begun to grow a really nice set of antlers.

I can tune in AM radio w/o radio. *
by sylvaniairish  (2021-04-15 15:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You joke, but I'd LOVE to have some sort of chip that
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-15 14:59:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could wave over contactless payment readers, train fare gates, etc. Would make it so easy to go out without a wallet.

Blocking the signal from being stolen would be an issue though.

It’s been done. (link)
by squid  (2021-04-15 15:23:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

COVID vaccine doesn't control you via microchip
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2021-04-15 14:33:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5G cell towers do, ya dummy.

Absolutely false.
by ewillND  (2021-04-15 14:34:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I got vaccinated this morning, and added Minecraft to our new PC this afternoon.

Bill Gates is tracking me, I just know it.

I've been seeing a LOT of Surface ads. Just sayin *
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 14:37:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You did?? YAY!!! I’m so happy for you!! What did you end up
by kellykapowski  (2021-04-15 14:35:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

getting over there?

first thought was that you must be a huge minecraft fan *
by Radi-skull  (2021-04-15 20:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would be my 7 year old son. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-04-15 21:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pfizer.
by ewillND  (2021-04-15 14:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I explained it a bit in my "Mea culpa (sorta)" post.

I read it! Very happy for you! I’m fully vaxed with Pfizer.
by kellykapowski  (2021-04-15 14:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully you don’t suffer any ill effects. My first Pfizer was the one that hit me hard. My second was fine for the first 24 hours and then I just became very sleepy. So happy to hear this though!

I wonder if you had an early asymptomatic case.
by ewillND  (2021-04-15 14:52:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

G18 had Covid in November, and got her first dose a couple of days ago in the US. The first 36 hours were like having Covid all over again (fever, aches, chills, etc.). She was totally miserable, but she's fine now.

I have a sore arm 10 hours later. I can live with that. I can also totally live with whatever my second dose brings at the end of May.

I was in the ER in late March/ Early April last year and
by kellykapowski  (2021-04-15 21:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

very sick. I’m a really active and healthy person and I was in bed for 3 weeks. It was awful.

Ah, man, that’s right.
by ewillND  (2021-04-17 14:06:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My oldest got really sick with the first dose because she had COVID in November. We are hoping that it helps her get her smell and taste back.

You're using Edge browser to type this, right? *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2021-04-15 14:35:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, crap. Yeah.
by ewillND  (2021-04-15 14:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't notice.

It's probably the best one, though, even though I don't even know what it is. You should all use it.

Jokes on us all - Edge is Chrome-based now
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 14:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All Hail our secret Google overlords, who have taken the long path.

Pfizer CEO
by OldRasputin  (2021-04-15 13:41:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

says booster likely needed within 12 months. None of this is surprising.

We will need boosters until the patent runs out *
by uconndomer  (2021-04-15 15:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a frustrating article.
by squid  (2021-04-15 14:36:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only quote on topic from Pfizer’s CEO is “likely”. Journalists need to rely more on quotes and less on summation. Was there any qualifier on his statement?

Later in the article, we have this example,

>>Earlier Thursday, the Biden administration’s Covid response chief science officer David Kessler said Americans should expect to receive booster shots to protect against coronavirus variants.

Kessler told U.S. lawmakers that currently authorized vaccines are highly protective but noted new variants could “challenge” the effectiveness of the shots.

“We don’t know everything at this moment,” he told the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis.

“We are studying the durability of the antibody response,” he said. “It seems strong but there is some waning of that and no doubt the variants challenge ... they make these vaccines work harder. So I think for planning purposes, planning purposes only, I think we should expect that we may have to boost.”<<

That last sentence is about planning for the worst, no? That’s not Kessler predicting Americans should expect it.

A key factor may be how many Americans get vaccinated. Overall vaccine effectiveness is determined not just by whether I got it, but whether the people around me have.

We'll just get COVID shots every year like flu shots *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2021-04-15 14:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So what's it going to take to make masks go the way of...
by 105Marquette  (2021-04-15 13:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...WW2 gas ration stickers? Or social distancing?

I am concerned that wearing masks and cordoned-off pews has become de rigeur, and that few in authority will stick their necks out to say "Eight thousandths of a percent is compelling science. You can stop doing those things now".

Just stop wearing them
by tenn_subway  (2021-04-15 15:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's that simple.

Fight the power! *
by Ty Webb  (2021-04-16 08:56:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are still places where they're required
by sprack  (2021-04-15 16:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if they are, it's incumbent upon people to have respect for the establishments that still do require them if they want to be allowed in.

Well it’d help if the CDC stopped saying vaccinated people..
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 14:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...still need to wear masks. That’s fucking dumb and isn’t helping.

Can vaccinated people still transmit the virus to others? *
by grnd  (2021-04-15 15:17:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can’t believe this is still a question.
by flapjack  (2021-04-15 15:32:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has there ever been a virus that’s transmitted by immunized people?

Where the heck did this hypothesis come from?

I’m pretty disappointed in “science” that we can’t answer this question.

We can answer the question, but we haven't yet.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 15:53:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scientists did an incredible job of developing an effective vaccince in roughly 1-year. That process usually takes 3 or 4 years.

To do so, the clinical trials were focused solely on safety and efficacy against illness. They did not study transmission. It is being studied now so that we will have an answer. Until we do, or until herd immunity is reached, reasonable precautions are sensible.

The link is from Johns Hopkins. Paragraph 7 addresses your question directly.

Agreed. Fauci et al. may be brilliant immunologists,
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-15 14:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but their lack of common sense when it comes to human psychology is stunning.

Human psychology has little to do
by elterrible  (2021-04-15 16:46:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with common sense

I think they get it just fine
by sprack  (2021-04-15 16:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they also make recommendations regardless. I don't see anything wrong with that.

My doctor wants me to cut salt out of my diet completely. Well, yeah, that draconian thing ain't happenin'. It doesn't mean I'm going to switch doctors or stop listening to her.

A better analogy would be doctors recommending everyone
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-15 16:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completely cut salt out of their diets because some people need to eat less salt.

You might feel differently if
by FaytlND  (2021-04-15 18:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my salt consumption had the potential to directly affect your health.

Which is why this example isn't a good one from the jump.

And I still don't see the problem
by sprack  (2021-04-15 16:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, it's a recommendation, not an order. Second, he's just trying to keep people safe, which is his job. Some people find it inconvenient. Well, boo hoo, so is the entire pandemic.

I always took that statement to mean
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 14:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That continuing to wear a mask was because nobody had a giant sign saying "I'm vaccinated" that people could easily discern, and following social norms until we made some sort of declaration was key both to assuage the public and prevent abuse. I could be entirely wrong of course.

I have to admit I saw an older gentleman take his dog into the vet unmasked and my first thought was "you fool!" before I realized he'd probably been vaccinated for over a month. Hopefully. This'll take a while to get a mental handle on.

That implies the CDC has a modicum of emotional intelligence
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 14:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't.

Not to mention, if that is the official stance then they should just say that.

They don't trust people
by gordonbombay  (2021-04-16 10:59:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why they're not saying that. They think that if they said, "Well, everyone should keep wearing masks in public for show, but we're pretty freaking sure vaccinated people can't really transmit it", that many vaccinated people would ditch the mask anyway and the anti-vax/anti-mask crowd would do it too and just lie.

It's the same reason people were lying about mask-wearing early on - everyone knew it was likely they were necessary, but because they didn't trust people not to buy all the supply up, they tried to dissuade people from doing it.

It's very frustrating and makes otherwise agreeable people wonder whether they're telling the whole truth at a given time.

The goal posts have shifted a lot during the past year...
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 14:34:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but that stance is the most glaring and problematic to me, for myriad reasons.

I'd be interested to hear the reasons.
by FaytlND  (2021-04-15 15:14:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their stance is pretty clear at this point. Until we have better information regarding transmission from vaccinated people or there's evidence we've reached herd immunity through vaccination, precautions should be taken when around those who aren't vaccinated.

I also question the idea that Fauci/CDC should be trying to spin the data to make people feel better. That isn't (and shouldn't be) their job. The problem with doing that is evident in the issue surrounding Fauci's early statements on masks. He attempted to manipulate public behavior to avoid a run on masks which were already in short supply, and that's still frequently cited as a knock on his credibility. People have to decide whether they want an honest assessment of what we know or not.

Correct.
by OldRasputin  (2021-04-15 16:09:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This really isn't that hard.

Fauci didn't have to say anything...
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 15:48:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and he decided to take the most conservative stance with respect to how one should act after being vaccinated. That is problematic to me. His approach is more conservative than the CDC guidelines. How is that helpful?

He's carrying an umbrella through the Sahara for fear of a thunderstorm.

He should be encouraging people to get vaccinated
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-15 15:25:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by presenting vaccination as a ticket to normalcy. When he says vaccinated people still shouldn't feel safe to travel, eat indoors, go to a movie, or attend large group gatherings, he eliminates, or at least lessens, people's motivation to get vaccinated. He should be telling people that while the risk will never be 0.00%, vaccinated people should feel comfortable reverting back to a normal life. They obviously don't have to, but should feel comfortable to do so if they desire.

2nd. I don't understand why this is so difficult.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 15:21:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Government officials shouldn't be making recommendations based on things they don't know. Since we don't know yet if vaccinated people can still carry and transmit COVID-19, we need to continue reasonable precautions.

what's the hypothesis?
by flapjack  (2021-04-15 15:40:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When in the history of earth have immunized people not gotten sick but transmitted the disease? I'm no biologist, but this seems to be a bizarre hypothesis.

I'm worried we are worrying about an edge case.

I don't care where we draw the line, but we need to define a level of risk we can live with. At that point, we need to judge potential contributors vs that risk line.

See my response above. *
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 15:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I learned somethign new today.
by flapjack  (2021-04-15 16:14:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't realize that there were vaccines that protects against the disease but not against transmission.

I wish this article gave better examples (e.g. rotovirus is still thwarted by 90%), but this is a phenomenon that we need to understand.

Rats.

In an ideal world, all vaccines would induce sterilising immunity. In reality, it is actually extremely difficult to produce vaccines that stop virus infection altogether. Most vaccines that are in routine use today do not achieve this. For example, vaccines targeting rotavirus, a common cause of diarrhoea in infants, are only capable of preventing severe disease. But this has still proven invaluable in controlling the virus. In the US, there has been almost 90% fewer cases of rotavirus-associated hospital visits since the vaccine was introduced in 2006. A similar situation occurs with the current poliovirus vaccines, yet there is hope this virus could be eradicated globally.

I think it's likely that COVID transmission is reduced...
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 17:01:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, if the virus can't replicate enough to create symptoms, someone can't be shedding as much as someone who is coughing and sneezing out copies of the virus, right?

That is speculation on my part, though, and I don't have a problem with continuing to wear a mask until science is able to prove it out.

That should not have been the hypothesis needing refutation
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 15:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is fear mongering.

No, it's science.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 15:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A virus does not die instantly because it comes into contact with a vaccinated person. It still enters the body, but is quickly fought off by that person's immune system.

Is that person shedding virus that can be transmitted to others during that time period? We don't know yet.

Why? It wasn't part of the clinical trials, because they were concerned with quickly determining efficacy and safety.

Why is it so freaking difficult to continue to wear a mask for a couple more months?

I'm fine wearing a mask while we figure this out.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-15 16:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not fine keeping kids out of school and extracurricular activities and shutting down large portions of the economy while we confirm what seems an almost certainty. The goal is to reduce the risks to an acceptable level, not to 0, and I feel like we've done that.

Mostly agree. We're getting closer each day.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:17:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Opening up the vaccine to all is awesome, but it will take weeks or months for that to reduce spread.

Even if we could somehow vaccinate everyone tomorrow, we'd be 14 days out from partial protection and 4-5 weeks from full protection. Reality is that this will be staggered, and we have to get enough of the population on board.

I thought this discussion was about vaccinated people continuing to wear masks to prevent spread. Not about keeping kids out of school or business restrictions.

The issues are linked
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:21:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

School districts and the local governments that regulate business are going to be influenced by what the CDC says.

CDC issues guidance on multiple issues concurrently.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:24:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how a recommendation to continue wearing masks becomes a recommendation to shut down schools or businesses.

They've issued guidance on those issues separately.

As a Californian, I'd like to know that too. Yet here...
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:28:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...we are, with the school districts planning for Hybrid Learning next year.

Isn't that a California problem,
by FaytlND  (2021-04-15 18:27:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(or more specifically, a local school district issue) and not a CDC/Fauci issue?

Yes *
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 18:34:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are they planning for ONLY hybrid learning?
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or are ther preparing for the possibility of hybrid learning because there's the possibility that herd immunity will not happen by fall?

Or that there are still parents who will not be comfortable sending their unvaccinated children to school, and those kids need to get some sort of education as well?

My kids' district here in IL went back full last week (3 days after I contracted COVID, unfortunately, so my kids are still in isolation after I passed it to them), but there are still kids that are full remote, and there are still accommodations being made for kids', like mine, that are in quarantine or isolation.

Next week can't come soon enough.

I didn't say it was difficult; I said it was unnecessary
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 15:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the CDC were truly concerned with this, they wouldn't have reversed their stance on vaccinated people traveling or meeting in groups. This is an overly conservative approach that will do more harm than good.

I don't see how that's relevant.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:02:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are recommending that fully vaccinated people can meet with other fully vaccinated people OR small groups of people from a single household that are low risk.

Those are very different situations from a large public setting from a standpoint of virus spread.

The travel recommendation is new to me. I didn't realize anyone was barred from domestic travel.

The CDC has said non-vaccinated people should not travel
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The CDC says vaccinated people can travel, do not need to self-quarantine, etc.

Well, if only vaccinated people are travelling...
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:33:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...then there isn't much risk, is there?

Ha, true I suppose
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:50:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that doesn't account for all the other interactions one has while moving beyond their bubble.

Some people will still wear them regardless.
by CMillar  (2021-04-15 13:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I might consider continuing to wear them on a plane, or at least have one on hand if I get seated across from someone hacking their lungs out.

And maybe outdoors in the winter. The face-warming advantages are considerable.

Plane's have world class ventillation
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-15 14:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Besides using extremely high grade HEPA filters, they also have downward airflow that reduces inhalation and pull ambient air from the outside to reduce the amount of cabin air that is recirculated. Unless one of the people immediately by your side is sick, you have very little to worry about on a plane.

Like their world class flight controls. Oops *
by sylvaniairish  (2021-04-15 15:35:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps the mask will protect me from fiery death? *
by CMillar  (2021-04-15 14:48:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

12 yrs and 8 billion passengers without a fatal crash in US.
by ndlp  (2021-04-16 12:33:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a bad safety record for US airlines.

I plan to bring one with me when flying
by wildesilas  (2021-04-15 14:30:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I may not use it, but circumstances of those around me may dictate my action. If it keeps someone from talking to me, it might just be worth it.

I hope the norm becomes "I don't care what you do."
by revressbo  (2021-04-15 14:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pre-Covid, in America, you would be looked at (at best...) oddly if you wore a mask anywhere not in a hospital. Today, you are often looked at (rightfully, if indoors and/or not socially distanced) as inconsiderate (at best...) if you don't wear a mask.

I hope once we get herd immunity and this is done, nobody will care what anyone else does. You want to wear a mask on the subway? Great! You don't want to wear a mask on the subway? Great! But I've seen some people advocating for a sort of "this should be the new norm for everyone" during cold/flu season. Yeah... no thanks.

Entirely agree.
by potatohouse  (2021-04-15 14:18:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My biggest hope going forward is that those who are most susceptible to something "routine" for many of us (like the flu) becoming serious and/or life-threatening will be able to shed any self-consciousness that might've prevented them from taking the very easy step of masking up to add a little shield of protection.

I remember how personally awkward is was for me last April the first time I donned a gaiter and ducked my way into the super market. I try to feel comfortable in my own skin, but that was nerve-wracking. It was shades up showing up to middle school with a dorky shirt my mom picked out. And I can remember the moment it all flipped and suddenly the majority of the people in the store were now wearing masks. And the sense of calm and comfort that being back and safe in the majority brought.

It should not be lost on anyone how our measures this past year decimated common seasonal illness. While it will be optimal for the vast majority to return to a non-distanced, non-masked existence, those who choose not to should not be subjected to any societal mockery.

Walking into a bar in rural WA with a mask on in May 2020
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 14:52:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(going on a rafting trip and stopped over for food)

My friend and I paused at the door like we were walking into Bob's Country Bunker. "Nobody else does...should we?"

"Man we're getting weird looks"

"F*** them, it's what the guidance says to do."

As silly as it sounds, I honestly wasn't relishing having that discussion with some rando at the time. We ate outside anyhow, because it was a lovely day.

I remember vehemently whining that "ugh, we're not asia" last year. Now I don't care if we are or aren't - there are some good demonstrable results we can definitely borrow out of this that don't involve mandating it.

100% *
by potatohouse  (2021-04-15 15:11:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s just that masks are terribly comfortable
by El capitan  (2021-04-15 13:53:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

I’m optimistic that reasonability will prevail eventually.
by kormal  (2021-04-15 13:36:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, I might continue to wear a mask on public transportation because in retrospect cramming into an L car during rush hour with a hundred gross Chicagoans was probably a Petri dish before all this.

I wonder if cities/states will require masks on public trans *
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-04-15 14:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty much right there with you.
by CMillar  (2021-04-15 13:38:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I expect to see lots of masks on the L for years to come.

That's at least something with a predicate
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 13:49:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that I think we'll ever be Asia, it's not exactly the end of the world when they do it on public transport, and what a world if people actually wore masks when they themselves were sick.

However, I have friends, relatives, and co-workers who have latched on to every "CDC: people still dying with vaccine!" article out there as proof they'll never have to go out again. I get it, we're all a little scared, but dammit, risk elimination is not going to be a thing.

For my .02, ideally I'd love to see rates of infection fall along with increased vaccinations for some period before declaring the all clear, but that's a hell of a hard call.

Probably never
by Cartwright  (2021-04-15 13:13:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Politicians will have begun issuing Climate Emergency Mandates by then.

I swear I hadn’t seen this when I posted that (link)
by Cartwright  (2021-04-15 21:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we get to herd immunity, cases will nosedive, right? *
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 13:10:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the thing: It seems to me merely trumpeting...
by 105Marquette  (2021-04-15 13:29:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...good statistics like vax rates and the 0.008% isn't enough to overcome the inertia of masks, distancing, hybrid schools, etc. We need someone (probably a blue state governor) to say "When we get to X% of our residents vaccinated, everything's back to normal. I'll encourage stores and businesses to cease masking requirements at that point."

KY is doing something like this
by civil_engr05  (2021-04-15 15:45:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beshear has announced that once 2.5 million people are vaccinated, he's going to greatly reduce the restrictions.

This is already happening for other restrictions....
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 13:41:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...though I don't know about the mask requirements.

Pritzker has already released the requirements to entire a "Bridge" Phase and a fully re-opened phase.

They are 70% of adults over 65 fully vaccinated for the "Bridge" and 50% of all adults for full reopening, plus stable infection metrics re: cases and hospitalizations.

The caveat is that it can't just be based on vaccination rates. We need to see the effects of vaccination on cases, which SHOULD naturally follow, barring any issues with variants or mutations.

I honestly feel like Whitmer will do it here...she needs to
by ndgenius  (2021-04-15 13:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

start doing things other than covid for her re-election. Her approval rate has been decent despite the shutdowns but she's kept us locked up WAY too long and now we're spiking instead of the gradual rises like our neighbor states. Politicians operate on the election calendar...she ran on fixing the roads and now with all the federal money coming in, she can probably get a chunk of that done. Despite all of the signs that say "Our Governors An Idiot" she's not, she's a savvy politician and she'll suddenly start working with the MI GOP and many of them ARE idiots so maybe she'll fool them.

Off track: Why does MI have such a high infection rate?
by ndlp  (2021-04-16 12:37:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just asking because I don't know the answers.

I have the exact same question
by sprack  (2021-04-15 13:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also the return of handshaking and the shitcanning of the damn elbow bumps.

There is a contingent of people who say they're never taking off their masks in public again. I guess they're opposite of the Covid deniers, they're the Covid vaccine effectiveness deniers, or something.

I'm hoping it fades away whenever there's the general consensus from the pros that there's herd immunity.

Can we get rid of both?
by Tubes  (2021-04-15 14:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This past year has made me realize how ridiculous hand shakes are.

If anything, it’s the opposite for me.
by revressbo  (2021-04-15 17:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I’ve met somebody new, it’s been pretty awkward without the handshake to be honest. I do this weird wave/smile (that they can’t see)/head nod thing that makes me feel pretty uncomfortable, and them probably even more so.

I might keep it when I am under the weather.
by ewillND  (2021-04-15 14:16:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But not sick enough that I need to stay home in bed.

The elbow bumps are the worst thing ever...if someone sticks
by ndgenius  (2021-04-15 13:20:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their elbow at me, I fist bump or grab it...they've already initiated one of the most awkward things so I try to top it. I'm back to shaking hands or doing the fist bump...I kind of like the fist bump because it's really quick and you can greet a group quickly.

I'll never stop giving dap. *
by ArasEra  (2021-04-15 14:27:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been doing the fist bump for years. It really f**ks...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-04-15 14:23:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...with the Europeans.

I shake hands now.
by Bruno95  (2021-04-15 13:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As do most people I encounter. It’s an adult greeting. Adults also should know not to put their hands in their mouths or on their faces.

Shaking hands is disgusting
by DukeSinatra  (2021-04-15 13:57:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would I want to touch another human being as a form of greeting? Bruno, if we ever touch each other, I want it only to be in the act of making love. Or a fight.

Michigan should have a double-mask mandate in place
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-04-15 13:03:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan's seven day case number average is now higher than at any point since the beginning of the pandemic.

Michigan alumni should have a two bag mandate
by sprack  (2021-04-15 13:11:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Permanently.

One for puke and the other for over their head? *
by Nitschke  (2021-04-15 13:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are cases milder in people who have been vaccinated? *
by 1978Irish  (2021-04-15 12:20:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to the article, generally, yes. *
by manofdillon  (2021-04-15 13:06:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

74 people have died of COVID among that group
by gordonbombay  (2021-04-15 13:55:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Considering that most of the 66M that have been fully vaxxed are in the most vulnerable groups, that strikes me as being incredibly effective. A shade over 1 in 1 million people.

What did I ever do to you? *
by mocopdx  (2021-04-15 12:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dayum. On my phone, didn’t scroll down
by sprack  (2021-04-15 12:13:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ah well, good news bears repeating, and it’s close to dropping off the front page.

No doubt, it's exciting. *
by mocopdx  (2021-04-15 12:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anecdotally, my wife does not appear to have been infected..
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 12:11:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...after living in a home with me and our 4 infected children over the last 2 weeks. I've been out of isolation since Monday, and my kids' last day is today.

CDC doesn't recommend that she get a test unless she develops symptoms, so I guess we don't know for certain, but she's not sick.