Could use some help from cat owners
by El Kabong (2022-08-08 08:12:25)

D25 told some friends she would adopt a young (1 year old or so) cat from them. They just got a puppy and the two weren't getting along. Personally, I was thinking there were other issues in there, but it's her circus. She has a lot of experience with cats from volunteering at PAWS for the last three years.

Cat arrived yesterday about 1pm in the care of D25's former roommate. They let her wander around the house a bit, where she was meowing rather loudly. They brought her down in the utility room to show her the litter, came upstairs without her for a moment to give her privacy after she ran behind the dryer, then went back downstairs to find she'd disappeared. No sign of her since and at least a preliminary search has turned up nothing. We left food and water (and litter) out last night figuring maybe she'd explore while we were asleep, but it doesn't look like she's touched them.

In retrospect, the utility room was a bad choice due to some (newly discovered by me) access into our crawl space and whatnot. Although it's not my cat, I am worried for the (not so) little girl ... I don't want her to be trapped or something. Is this a case of her still feeling us out and she'll come out when she's hungry, or should I be more actively looking?

Someone on here posted about "cat universe" or something
by dulac89  (2022-08-08 15:48:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like that.

Our cat disappeared for about 48 hours 2 days after we first got it. The cat suddenly reappeared. A poster on here told me about "cat space" where cats disappear to for a couple days at a time.

Don't worry, leave the food and water out, she'll be back

On your last point:
by Rick Sanchez  (2022-08-08 16:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you have a Nest or Blink camera you could set it up to watch the food/water/litter box, turn the motion detection feature on, and know when the cat trips the detection to go feed/drink/poop.

After a couple of days it should at least give you a good idea if the cat is still hiding down there somewhere.

I would recommend against drilling holes into the crawl
by ndstein04  (2022-08-08 13:14:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

space in attempts to find the cat.

That only works for hamsters. *
by PWK2  (2022-08-08 15:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lasagna on the other hand. Bake a fresh one and leave it out
by ndstein04  (2022-08-08 18:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

overnight. Those little fellows can’t resist a fresh lasagna.

Or, alternatively, try crawling into the crawl space
by LocalSubAlum  (2022-08-08 14:20:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a flashlight. After all, that's why it's called a crawl space.

Which is what I just did
by El Kabong  (2022-08-08 15:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No joy there, no joy in the space under the stairs.

Crap, I hope that means
by LocalSubAlum  (2022-08-08 15:55:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the cat is now hiding elsewhere in the house. Is there any opening from your crawl space to the outside? If so, she is probably making like Andy Dufresne and is on her way to Mexico.

None that I'm aware of *
by El Kabong  (2022-08-08 16:04:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you have a sofa that has the side recliners?
by The Holtz Room  (2022-08-08 17:05:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ExGF’s kitten once hid in her’s while she tore her place apart looking for the damn thing.

talk about finding something that was missing....
by mkovac  (2022-08-08 17:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read about a lady who was over 400 lbs. She went in for a C-Section and while the surgery was being performed, the doctor, in unfolding layers of belly fat, found a tv remote control that was layered between several folds of flesh.

After the surgery, when the doctor presented the remote control to the new mother, the lady said, "Hey! I've been looking for that! It's been missing for a few months!"

no lie

Yikes! *
by The Holtz Room  (2022-08-08 21:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Okay, then logically the cat must be somewhere
by LocalSubAlum  (2022-08-08 16:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the house. Cats are masters at hiding. We had a cat that seemed to know when we were getting ready to take him to the vet and would be impossible to find. I can't tell you how many vet appointments we had to reschedule because of that.

Our current cat who was adopted two years ago
by LocalSubAlum  (2022-08-08 12:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a kitten did that for the first two weeks. He would hide under the TV stand in my computer room and would only come out to eat, drink water and use the litter box and only if my girlfriend and I weren't around. I am sure the cat will come out to use the litter box and to eat and drink when it gets hungry and thirsty enough and can no longer resist the urge to go. If she is trapped in the crawl space, she will eventually start meowing loudly but I doubt that she is trapped. If she found her way into the crawl space, she will find her was out.

My big concern is not knowing where she is
by El Kabong  (2022-08-08 12:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she's hiding in a specific place and needs some decompression time, that's fine, but I worry not knowing if she's stuck or something.

Cats are pretty wiggly. They don't get stuck often.
by PamBeesly  (2022-08-08 15:14:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They also judge spaces before entering, using their whiskers, so they don't go in if it's really too tight.

I know nothing about your particular crawl space
by LocalSubAlum  (2022-08-08 14:18:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but generally speaking, there should be nothing anywhere under there that she could get trapped in. If she does, as I said, she will start meowing loudly. If that happens, you will probably have to call a professional pest trapper to rescue her the same as if a raccoon or a chupacabra got stuck under there.

It's like the Druids. "No one knows who they were, or what
by mkovac  (2022-08-08 13:05:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they were doing..."

We’ve had this happen a couple times with our cat.
by irishlala  (2022-08-08 11:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One time it occurred when we were having work done and I thought we’d finished drywall with her behind the wall. That wasn’t the case but she’d found a gap in an unfinished area of the house. We could see her but she was afraid to come out. We stuck a plate of food near the area and she eventually came out when she was hungry.

It might be quite content in the crawl space.
by flapjack  (2022-08-08 10:33:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife once brought home a cat from "Feral Friends."

It got down in the crawl space and was impossible to get out. We finally (after several days) caught it in a racoon trap.

That cat lived under our bed for over a year. It would eat at night. The only way we could pet it was by hanging an arm off the side of the bed and it would come to us.

Fast forward a couple of years... it was the sweetest, kindest cat I've ever been around. It would sit in our laps for hours and let us pet it.

Cats can take a loooooong time to acclimate to a new home
by carroll2005  (2022-08-08 14:17:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our second cat wouldn’t leave the spare bedroom for about 3 months, even when we left the door open

One of the many reasons I stick to dogs
by Jimbo Irish  (2022-08-08 10:16:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cats are a pain in the ass.

Cat in the wall?
by No Right Turn on Red  (2022-08-08 09:45:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it'd be from that classic, "Bucket of Blood"...
by Kbyrnes  (2022-08-08 12:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need the poster, Drill My Hamster, to chime in. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2022-08-08 13:17:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet she'll come out to eat a bit in the next 12 hours.
by PamBeesly  (2022-08-08 08:26:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But she may still hide for a couple days. My understanding is it's pretty common for cats to find a small space to hide when brought to a new home, which is why it's often advised to plan to keep them in one enclosed room for the first several days. Your daughter should find a quiet activity to do in the utility room from time to time, to let the cat get familiar with her presence without being alarmed. I wouldn't panic unless there's no sign of food/litter use all day today.

Should we put the food and water in the utility room?
by El Kabong  (2022-08-08 08:38:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right now, it's in our kitchen, where we eventually at least want it to be.

Yes, for now *
by PamBeesly  (2022-08-08 08:40:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My cat’s breath smells like cat food. *
by Inigomontoya  (2022-08-08 08:17:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post