Mike Gundy's tone-deaf coronavirus rant
by Irish Warrior (2020-04-08 09:38:16)

shows why he's never leaving OK State. I'm not familiar with OAN, but it appears that's where Gundy gets his news.

There's also an article in USA Today that's just as scathing. It contrasts his $5 million salary with his 2-13 record against OU.

Is he a man who's over 40? *
by enginerd194  (2020-04-20 16:50:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Over 50 now.
by Wooderson  (2020-04-23 15:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They did a follow up, the player in question was mortified by that incident.

OAN makes Fox News look like MSNBC.
by FtWorthIrish  (2020-04-09 14:54:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their boot licking of Trump is a site to behold....if you don’t vomit first.

Gundy was/is a jackwagon long before this. *
by Slotts  (2020-04-09 13:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was interested to see his comments until the journalist
by chicos bail bonds  (2020-04-08 11:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

made it an op-ed article. I was also curious to see what the racist comments were which would be a big problem for me. But then the racist remark was apparently calling it the Chinese virus. Apparently because some in the media have dubbed that to be a racist remark, it has become racist. Funny, I just thought it was a lazy way to name something just based on geography and nothing to do with racism. Silly me.

There have been a number of attacks on Asian Americans...
by Rocksteady74  (2020-04-11 23:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... blaming them for the spread of the virus. Three members of a family in Texas, including two children, were stabbed. I know a number of Asian American women, including my wife, who will not leave home without sunglasses on so people can't see her Asian eyes. This isn't a matter of following some "woke" narrative.It is avoiding increasing the danger for fellow citizens. Even if they aren't the Norwegians that Trump loves.

It is pretty lazy, and people should know better at this...
by Kbyrnes  (2020-04-11 02:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...point. Combinations of words that are harmless apart can be harmful together; for example, I'd guess that hardly anyone thinks "Chinese food" is an offensive phrase, nor is "SARS-CoV-2 virus." But "Chinese virus" is a phrase whose use contributes to bad attitudes, and it has no redeeming quality. Just call it the darn coronavirus.

I wonder if those same people in the media have a problem
by JACC1203  (2020-04-09 15:56:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

using the term Spanish Flu (which the Coronavirus has been compared to)?

I'm sure they would as it's well known that there is no proof the Spanish Flu originated in Spain.

Zika and Ebola also *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-04-10 13:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its been accepted that it was called the Spanish flu
by wearendhockey  (2020-04-10 12:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because there were no restraints placed on the Spanish press to discuss the extent of the pandemic. While the press was silent here and in many other corners of the world, the Spanish newspapers could and did report on the extent of it, hence the term "Spanish Flu."

From the newspaper of record in January
by KeoughCharles05  (2020-04-08 16:22:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Three U.S. Airports to Check Passengers for a Deadly Chinese Coronavirus"

"In January"
by Tubes  (2020-04-08 16:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's quite a big difference between using it in January (when the virus was only found in China) and using it now.

Maybe in terms of clarity, but not in terms...
by Marine Domer  (2020-04-08 18:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of any supposed racist tinge. To the best of our knowledge the virus originated in China.

Washington Post lead headline for 27 January.
by usmcirish  (2020-04-08 21:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Chinese virus infections and death toll spike.”

So
by KeoughCharles05  (2020-04-08 16:52:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your position is that the term itself is racist now, but wasn't racist then?

If that was the case, do you think that perhaps the New York Times would want to have updated their article with a note that they apologize for the usage of the racist terminology? Are you upset that they haven't? Is that offensive?

Would referring to a company formed in China, but with operations around the world, as Chinese be racist also?

It might not be desirable to emphasize this particular aspect of the virus, or it might evidence one's own particular animus toward China, but the idea that the term "Chinese virus" is racist is just evidence that "racist" is being used as a catch-all for "something that may have negative impacts on non-white people, even if those negative impacts are directly caused by other people."

As I noted elsewhere in this thread...
by Kbyrnes  (2020-04-11 02:18:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...it is intellectually lazy, and verges on bigotry--which is not racism. And as I suggested in that other post, "Chinese food" does not have the same connotation today as "Chinese virus." I mean, nobody who looks Chinese in America has been hassled over the existence of Chinese food; but we can't say that about the existence of what some consider to be a "Chinese virus." Words are funny that way.

Jeff Lemon and Joy Behar called it chinese virus. no outrage *
by johneye  (2020-04-08 14:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You mean Chet? *
by NDMD89  (2020-04-09 13:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meadowlark? *
by Nathan  (2020-04-09 15:30:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you disagree with the writer, it's evidence of ignorance. *
by PWK2  (2020-04-08 13:51:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because opinions are just ignorant and naive? Here's a
by chicos bail bonds  (2020-04-08 21:03:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

question - because a virus originated in China and Trump may be trying to use that as leverage in trade negotiations, diplomatic reasons, furthering America as a superpower, etc., how is it racist to suggest that a worldwide problem emanated from a specific geographical area? I'm really asking a question - I don't understand how this is racist. Look, I think Trump is a blathering idiot but most of his policies have been effective for my taste so I cringe and put up with the stupidity of his comments at times. Because you can't stand him and he doesn't fit your political persuasion, you cry racism. If that's your opinion, you are certainly entitled it. I just don't understand how it is racist to attach a virus to where it started. Just admit you hate the guy and move along. I can definitely appreciate that. Just don't make shit up.

It's not racist..........
by Ty Webb  (2020-04-09 15:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's likely wrong given what we know. For example, there has been an uptick in harassment against Asians in this country (and around the world). It's also been reported that Stephen Miller is a big proponent in the administration of using the terminology and Miller is a racist piece of shit. So if he thinks it's wise and fair to call it that, I am likely always going to assume the worst intentions.

I thought it was self-evident
by PWK2  (2020-04-09 13:50:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that this is sarcasm, but I guess I was wrong.

sorry, brain dead as a result of working from home *
by chicos bail bonds  (2020-04-09 17:40:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I’m ignorant *
by Widespread irish  (2020-04-08 15:38:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weird as NPR was calling it the Wuhan virus in Jan & Feb
by Irishlawyer  (2020-04-08 13:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and nothing they do can be taken as anything but woke.

The Party Line changed
by BIG MAC  (2020-04-09 11:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you don't obey you get purged. Lack of Political Correctness may not cost you your life like it did in the Soviet Union, but it very definitely can cost you your job.

Or maybe they changed their tune
by DBCooper  (2020-04-10 21:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After Asian Americans were getting harassed by morans blaming them for the virus

Bingo. *
by gradyfan  (2020-04-09 12:22:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Anything that you don’t want your coach to say,
by jbrown_9999  (2020-04-08 11:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he did a great job of saying it,”

Nice way to summarize an hour press conference

I am not trying to defend him
by irishrock  (2020-04-08 09:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but share a perspective. He's in Stillwater. My guess is that he does not know a single person dealing with the virus. I'd wager he doesn't know a person who knows a person dealing with the virus.

I'm in KC, and fit the above description. But I absolutely am not tone deaf and understand NYC is really struggling and I'm praying every day for relief and a solution.

Sidenote: I've been thinking of the Camino a lot as of late. I'm wondering what they're going to do this year as so many of those small little villages along the route are completely dependent on peregrinos dropping 10 euros for a meal or an albuergue.

Hope you're well

Your post is absolutely a defense of him *
by Ty Webb  (2020-04-08 15:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, you are. *
by John@Indy  (2020-04-08 12:11:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coronavirus is present there
by nathan  (2020-04-08 10:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a cluster there and another 40 minutes away. He's no more than 2 people removed from someone with it.