hijack: which ones left and did well? Obviously UM
by irishrock (2018-01-11 09:00:32)

In reply to: ND has lost assistant coaches before  posted by El Kabong

who else?

Jim Johnson with the Eagles
Gruden's son obviously did well
Alvarez

Obviously not a ton of them since Holtz left.

Johnson never coached under Lou
by tf86  (2018-01-11 20:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Devine and later Faust. Another of Faust's assistants, Greg Blache (also an assistant at ND under Ara and Devine, although he had two tenures at ND separated by six years), later coached as an NFL assistant for over 20 years, serving as defensive coordinator for both the Bears and the Redskins during that time.

I've always wondered what, if any, difference Cutcliffe woul
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-01-11 18:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have made to Weis' trajectory. Would have having had a guy with college head coaching experience, and Cutcliffe's obvious breadth of coaching knowledge changed anything?

I think it was potentially huge
by tf86  (2018-01-11 19:47:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The previous head coaching experiences, as you mentioned. Also, I think Weis lacked the personality to be a top-flight head coach. I think he originally had envisioned Cutcliffe as a sort of go-between between himself and the coaching staff, which would have allowed Weis more of a CEO type role.

Without Cutcliffe, he was forced into more of a hands-on role, and I don't think he was prepared for it.

Dean Pees - SB-winning DC
by SixShutouts66  (2018-01-11 13:01:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only one year 1994 at ND as secondary coach. Later DC for the Pats and Ravens, where tehy won the SB. Just retired.

Ty's DB coach Steve Wilks is coordinating the Panthers D.
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-11 11:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw that name this past weekend for the first time in ages. I remember reading his cute little daily notes that he put in the players' locker rooms during spring practice.

Interesting career arc. He spent only a year somewhere new for a long time until he hitched his wagon onto Rivera with the Bears and then followed him.

I remember being underwhelmed by Ty's hire of the BGSU DB coach. It took awhile, but it looks like Wilks is having some success now.

He just interviewed for Giants head coaching position *
by GSDOMER  (2018-01-11 14:14:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Matt Lafleur - current Rams offensive coordinator
by irishaddict  (2018-01-11 10:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was QB coach for the Falcons after leaving ND.

Charlie Strong, Dan Mullen, Steve Addazio
by Irisharab  (2018-01-11 09:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All were Assistant Coaches at ND. All became head coaches at Power 5 Conference schools.

And the Ravens were decent with Mattison as DC.
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-11 11:09:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After he coordinated Urban's first NC defense.

Replace Mullen with Meyer
by Mike Regan  (2018-01-11 10:40:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meyer was an assistant coach. Mullen was a GA.