St Brown clocks in at a 4.48
by Bluengold07 (2018-03-03 12:48:30)

Would have been nice if they had someone who could have hit him in stride

And did Adams not run? I can't find his time.

Speed was never his issue.
by PeteatND  (2018-03-05 09:59:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure why some seemed to think he'd disappoint in the 40, but that's about where I expected him - somewhere in the 4.4 range.

The bigger issue was that he never had the inclination (or the coaching, perhaps) to come back to the QB at times of need, to high-point footballs or fight for them with his hands, or to play well against physical press coverage. He's big, athletic and fast, but without any of the softer skills that turn an athlete into a top quality receiver. He doesn't win jump-balls, he doesn't make tough catches over the middle, and he doesn't do the work needed to get open consistently on third and long.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt he'll be able to improve those softer skills to the NFL standard before he gets cut. Any possible distaste for Kelly aside, I thought he should've come back to school.

I think that the critiques of his play last year
by jt  (2018-03-05 16:25:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ignore the fact that many of these throws nearly got him injured. I forget the game, but one pass was so high and he went up for it and got his legs taken out and landed on his neck; I was concerned that he was seriously injured. Luckily he was able to get up after a bit.

Was that the Navy game? I think it might have been.

Our offensive gameplans last year were bizzare to say the least and I don't question the kid's courage or effort and I certainly don't blame him for leaving or his younger brother for not coming.

I definitely don't blame his courage.
by PeteatND  (2018-03-06 13:20:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't think he catches the ball naturally with his hands. He likes to catch over the shoulder, or cradle in his gut. For shits and giggles I watched an ESB highlight reel last night and he didn't make a single tough catch during the entire 4 minute video.

Honestly, I wish all ND students the best, so I hope he'll do well. He's always had tremendous size and speed. I just doubt he has enough other skills to make a roster - hope I'm wrong.

delete "high point" from your lexicon *
by ACross  (2018-03-05 15:14:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thought about you when I wrote that.
by PeteatND  (2018-03-05 16:16:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't think of a quicker way to say "I don't remember the last time he made an effort to beat a DB by catching the ball with his hands, high and away from his body".

The quickest way to summarize ESB is that he rarely catches with his hands in tough situations, and he rarely gives enough effort to beat his defender to the football. If he can catch the ball in stride, he's golden; if it's 50/50, he's fucked. I should've just said that.

my gosh man, when did he have a good throw to work
by irishrock  (2018-03-05 17:18:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our QB play last year was horrendous and I don't remember a lot of passes that were right at the facemask where he could catch it at the point.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Poor QB play made for ESB not looking too hot last year. I don't think Will Fuller would have looked good last year either.

That's kind of the point.
by PeteatND  (2018-03-06 13:14:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, the QB play wasn't good, but ESB didn't exactly help. Unless it was over the shoulder or right between the numbers, he probably wasn't going to make a play. There's a reason they hardly ever looked his way on third down.

I think it was a combination of both.....
by Marine Domer  (2018-03-05 18:14:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were definitely issues with ESB's hands. The ball wasn't always thrown where it needed to be, but ESB didn't exactly have a great catching radius either.

He didn't appear to like contact. *
by PWK2  (2018-03-06 12:44:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least eliminate it's use as a verb. *
by Marine Domer  (2018-03-05 15:41:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jumping apogee. *
by Irish Tool  (2018-03-05 15:34:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its nice for ESPN, but scouts say nothing beats game film.
by 84david  (2018-03-05 09:18:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be interesting to find out what the scouts "see"
in ESBs film.

I saw a lot of 5-11 cornerbacks outplay him on balls.... *
by Wolfetone  (2018-03-05 10:08:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When will BK come out & say he needs to stay one more year?
by golfjunkie17  (2018-03-04 09:36:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe question his ability on the field and his maturity off of it?

I think BK is ready now.
by SWPaDem  (2018-03-04 10:26:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's nothing more he can do to disappoint at this level.

He’s fast
by Freight Train  (2018-03-04 08:50:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know whether to blame his poor production last year on a) his route running or b) his QB. I suppose the All 22 film views would answer that question but I haven’t seen them.

Kelly’s offense just made him seem slower.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-03-03 22:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gee, we’ve never seen that before.

Yup. Will Fuller, for example. *
by ndroman21  (2018-03-04 11:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Factoids: '15 Fuller ranked #65 in receptions w/ 62. The #1
by cj  (2018-03-04 13:47:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

receiver had 111 receptions.

However, WF was #5 in TD receptions at 14.

Remarkable....

PS he was also #11 in the country averaging 20+ yds per reception. #68 in receptions per game at 4.8... (#1 was over 9)

Slightly OT: The talent on the 2015 offense
by MobileIrish  (2018-03-04 17:00:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stanley and Fuller 1st rounders. Kizer 2nd round (arguably 1st round talent before BK sabotaged him with his comments). Nelson and McGlinchey projected 1st rounders.

I think only BK could coach that team to 3 losses.

The talent on that *whole team*
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2018-03-05 11:41:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not just the offense (although, the offense was incredibly gifted, especially when you include Hunter and Robinson, who had NFL athletic traits but chose not to pursue NFL careers).

By my count, there are already 8 guys from that terribly under-performing DEFENSE in the NFL (plus Ishaq Williams, who played some snaps for the Giants). Tillery, Morgan, Coney, and Hayes will probably join those 8 next year.

Only Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson had comparable rosters that year - and Clemson's best players were mostly underclassmen. Yet OSU thrashed us (albeit after some additional attrition to our depth chart), Clemson got up 21-3, and somehow we lost to Stanford (not to mention our escapes against Virginia, Temple (!), and Boston College).

- Jaylon Smith (generational talent; would've been a top 5 pick if not for injury)
- Sheldon Day (4th round pick; backup on the 49ers)
- Romeo Okwara (regular contributor for the Giants)
- Isaac Rochell (backup on the Chargers)
- Matthias Farley (starter for the Colts)
- Cole Luke (backup on the Panthers)
- Keivare Russell (3rd round pick; backup on the Bengals)
- James Onwualu (played some for the Chargers)

Prosise as well *
by Athlete37  (2018-03-04 20:03:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus Nick Martin and Josh Adams
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-03-05 11:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least the ‘15 team won ten games. The ‘11 team was almost certainly the biggest waste of talent this century.

He had similar stats this year in the NFL
by carroll2005  (2018-03-04 14:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He ended up with less than 30 catches but 7 TDs.

In the brief window where both he and Deshaun Watson were healthy he had something like 15 catches and 7 TDs in a 4 game stretch

If he can stay healthy and the Texans can sort out their awful OL he will be a great weapon.

He always seemed fast to me.
by Mike Regan  (2018-03-03 22:31:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notwithstanding the fact that Kelly's offense does suck.

Me too. *
by NDde  (2018-03-05 06:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

20 reps on the bench press too, 4th out of 44 receivers *
by ribs  (2018-03-03 21:50:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Adams is saving his running for ND's Pro Day *
by HolyCrossHog  (2018-03-03 15:28:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually not a good sign *
by carroll2005  (2018-03-04 12:14:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, that time is very surprising.
by PWK2  (2018-03-03 14:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see him as maybe a sixth round pick. With a 4.58, I wouldn't have seen him drafted.

Your post is very confusing and nonlinear. Can you clarify?
by Tonybullets  (2018-03-03 20:31:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you expect a slower time?

Yes, if I wasn't clear.
by PWK2  (2018-03-04 07:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never saw that speed on the field. His production wasn't what I expected in his college career. He has, apparently, all the measurables.

6'-5" 215 lbs with a a 4.5 = round 2-4 *
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-03-03 16:21:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed
by Twinkie the Kid  (2018-03-04 08:55:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reminds me of Maurice Stovall. If I recall correctly, the Bucs took him late 2nd round.

I hope I'm wrong. *
by PWK2  (2018-03-04 07:16:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post