SEC Signing Day
by PaulsboroNJIrish (2019-02-07 09:38:37)

Casually looked at some of the scroll at the bottom of ESPN to see one after another SEC school pick up another recruit. My question is why did it seem that the sec was almost exclusive in this? Do they work harder to "flip" kids? Are the "type" of kid they recruit, like blue chips, more likely to wait to sign? Is there anything eligibility wise that has some kids wait to sign? Or is the recruiting battle in the SEC just that much more intense in respect to "poaching" kids within the sec (noticed those that flipped generally flipped from one SEC school to another).

Also would like to know opinions on if/when that changes? Has the talent level in the SEC risen the past 10-15 years or was it generally always higher in that conference?

Name a NC in the last 50 yrs that didn't have a great coach
by NJDoubleDomer  (2019-02-07 13:21:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't think of one.
It all begins with who is driving the bus. Where is ND? Get used to it.

Notre Dame, 1977 with Dan Devine *
by Irish 1978  (2019-02-07 14:07:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Concur. Devine had great assistant coaches on staff....
by harv79pangborn  (2019-02-09 09:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joe Yonto, George Kelly, etc....ND won in spite of DD....lived through 4 years of it at ND..

Devine is in CFB Hall of Fame
by Regis  (2019-02-07 20:04:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So is Danny Ford, to reply to a post below.

There are a couple.
by TWO  (2019-02-07 13:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1990 Bill McCartney of Colorado and Bobby Ross of Ga.Tech split the Nat'l Title. They were good coaches but I wouldn't put them in the category of great coaches.

1981 Danny Ford of Clemson another good coach (cheater as well) but not a great coach.

1997 Michigan ...Lloyd Carr another good coach but I'd hesitate to call Lloyd Carr a great coach.

I'm sure there are others, but I guess it's pretty subjective on who is a great coach. Right now it's easy, Dabo, Saban, and Urban Meyer are clearly a notch above everybody else and it shows when you start counting Nat'l Titles.

Gene Chizik. Maybe the worst NC ever along with Coker. *
by supernd  (2019-02-08 18:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Bobby Ross was a great coach. And he wanted
by cards86  (2019-02-08 11:41:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to coach at ND after Lou.

I would add Larry Coker
by bluengold07  (2019-02-07 13:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jimbo isn't there (yet).

I would say that LaVell Edwards, Don James, and Dennis Erickson were good, not great. Erickson had great numbers, but I give more of that credit to Jimmy Johnson.

Erickson had some success at WSU and Oregon State as well
by Tex Francisco  (2019-02-07 14:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Dennis Erickson, especially in his younger years, was a pretty good college coach, even if not elite.

Auburn with Gene Chizik? *
by Rockbrig97  (2019-02-07 13:24:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly. There are a few.
by Irish96  (2019-02-07 14:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chizik, Coker, Ross, Carr, Erickson, McCartney, and Edwards were already mentioned.

I'd add Les Miles and Butch Davis too.

I feel like these groups need to be separated out.
by Tex Francisco  (2019-02-07 14:23:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chizik is the only truly bad coach in the group. Even Coker is probably more average than bad. All the others are pretty good coaches.

I think a lot of coaches who have 1 Nat'l title..
by TWO  (2019-02-07 14:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

could probably be called really good coaches, they probably had a career of good teams and then they just got that one group, had a special player(s) and were able to win a Title.

Dan Devine fits that description.

Ara was a Great Coach, he did it more than once and his teams that won it all had something special that set them apart from his other teams that didn't...might have been a lack of injuries or that special player(s).

Clearly Saban is a Great Coach..again done it multiple times, different schools even.

Bagmen aside..
by TWO  (2019-02-07 13:21:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the demographics have shifted and the best players are concentrated in the SEC footprint and the SEC produces more NFL talent every year than the other conferences and it is perceived that the SEC is the best/toughest conference. So those top players can stay closer to home and play in what they think is the toughest conference that prepares them for the NFL.

So it's no surprise that SEC schools dominate recruiting rankings. SEC schools are also expanding their reach and now pull in top talent from the west coast as well. They got several top players from the West Coast, with the addition of A&M it has opened up Texas for them better than before.

Spring football -- in high school. The state of Missouri is
by jrdjr84  (2019-02-07 15:16:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looking to allow it because it's already in practice throughout the SEC states.

It says something about the culture, priority, and emphasis to have high school spring football. Does it exist in the Midwest or east coast?

we had it in CA when I was playing
by jt  (2019-02-07 17:36:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

didn't have it in MN, did have it in AZ and in CO we have some form of it (some teams use it late spring, some early summer).

Also weight lifting during school (as a PE class).
by MobileIrish  (2019-02-07 16:07:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was surprised to learn about spring football for HS. Apparently it is common in HS in Alabama.

Most HS athletes have a weight lifting PE class throughout the school year. This is for all sports, or just football.

We do Spring Football in Texas..
by TWO  (2019-02-07 15:50:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they actually have options...if you don't do Spring Football you get to start fall practice earlier than teams who do Spring Football.

But we also have an extensive big time 7x7 program for the summer, not UIL sanctioned but legal and leads to a state championship.

Reflects baseball's decline too, I think *
by jrdjr84  (2019-02-07 15:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Specialization is a factor too.
by MobileIrish  (2019-02-07 16:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Year round competition or offseason conditioning is common. It is hard for kids to play more than one sport. Coaches demand participation in offseason workouts.

Highest bidder wins. *
by bill_brasky  (2019-02-07 10:54:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The final, best, offers went out.
by rkellyatrecess  (2019-02-07 10:53:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Auburn fans were particularly mad that Georgia outbid them for a five-star receiver, who is unlikely to qualify and will have to go to a JUCO, anyway.

Tennessee outbid Alabama for a De La Salle kid, for those who wondering why we don't get more kids out of that Catholic school program.

Et cetera.

I miss the days of turning each other in to the NCAA. *
by ArasEra  (2019-02-08 15:40:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even a Catholic kid has to eat. *
by Irish72  (2019-02-07 11:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, that Escalade won't drive itself. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-02-07 15:31:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post