The best Domer I’ve ever known
by BMeyer06 (2019-05-29 04:15:59)
Edited on 2019-05-29 04:18:41

Although I seldom post, I’ve followed this board religiously for more than 15 years. On the day he was laid to rest, I post tonight in hopes that you’ll join me in remembering one of the last fleeting members of Notre Dame’s true golden generation.

He was born Edward Sweeney, but from a young age, he went by “Chuck”- a nod to ND’s 1937 All American End, Chuck Sweeney. He enrolled at ND in 1941, took a brief hiatus to “deal with a little situation over in Europe”, before ultimately graduating in the class of 1947. He was a beloved patriarch, 2x Purple Heart recipient, avid fisherman and devout Catholic, but nothing defined him more than his lifelong love for Notre Dame Football.

For more than 80 years, he hung on every snap- first on radio, later on television. When word of Rockne’s death hit newsstands in ‘31, he recalled a level of hysteria matched only by a presidential assassination. He’d say that the passing of time makes it difficult to fully appreciate Rockne’s place in American history (not just sports history). His first hand account of Leahy’s post-war squads became my measuring stick for the Irish teams of my lifetime. When the talking-heads would ramble on about Miami, Nebraska or SC’s run of dominance, he’d chime in to remind me that, beginning the year he returned to campus, ND went 2 seasons without ever trailing and 4 seasons without every losing a game. He was among the 77,000 in Yankee Stadium for the famed 0-0 tie with Army in ‘46; interestingly enough, he recalled the game as “kind of unremarkable”, never dreaming it would later be considered the Game of the Century. He also never understood why Ara got so much heat for playing for the tie in East Lansing in ‘66, reminding naysayers of Duffy’s own conservative play in the 2nd half. He adored Lou Holtz and shared in the prevailing opinion of this board, regarding his four successors.

Like many of us, he held onto the losses even more so than the wins. He recalled exactly where he was for SC in ‘64 and ‘05 and BC in ‘93. He went to his grave still baffled by the phantom clip in ‘91 and still wondering what McKay said to Anthony Davis and the boys at halftime in ‘74. Over the years, I made sure to prepare myself for his trivia-based phone calls. Pop: “Hi-ya Pal. What happened 100 years ago today?” Me: “Dorais to Rockne, Pop. Changed the game forever”. He’s the reason the first nursery rhyme I ever learned was the Victory March and the first childhood heroes I ever had were known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. I imagine the Louisville game will be a difficult one for me, this fall. This season will be my 1st without Pop, but also my first with my newborn son, Ronan Rockne. I look forward to spending the rest of my days sharing ND Football with him, the same way my grandfather did with me.

I’d like to share an excerpt from a letter he wrote to the president of his graduating class, dated January, 13th 1998 (one season into the Bob Davie experiment). It’s nothing overly poetic and I certainly don’t intend to spark a debate about Father Ted’s contributions to ND, but it does nicely summarize a simple sentiment that I know is shared by many of the posters here:

“Thank you very much for the very interesting article on Father Hesburgh. I have always been an admirer and defender of Father Hesburgh. However, one aspect of his devotion to Notre Dame which has annoyed me on occasion is his demeaning of football and its relationship to the School. I remember years ago he was interviewed in the press box during the halftime intermission and he remarked that "it’s only a game, we'll all be back in class on Monday"(or something to that effect). In the article he is depicted as "barely interested in football" and saying "I'm not nuts about it. I certainly don’t cry when we lose." I don’t presume to be as conversant with the history as you are, but I do firmly believe that Notre Dame could not possibly be what it is today without its football heritage. It is wonderful to have a magnificent campus, great physical plant, and to have a superb faculty and academic program, but these situations would never have came into existence without the magnet of football and its mystique at Notre Dame. When alumni(or friends or admirers) meet anywhere at any time the prime topic is not the Laetare Medal recipients, or academics awards, or the prestigious faculty members, or the school's latest ranking among learning and research institutions. It is fine to have all these, but what enables us to afford them? I do not mean to be cynical and I am proud of the accomplishments, as we all should be, but let us never lose sight of what enables us to arrive at this point.

So much for the ramblings of an aging alumnus who did used to cry when the team lost (1938-USC 13 ND 0). I am as proud of Notre Dame and being a part of it as anyone could be. I can(with ease) name the seven Heisman winners, but I don’t think I can name seven Laetare Medal winners. Does that make me a bad person?

If Father Hesburgh was the heart of Notre Dame for 35 years, the oxygen giving life to that heart was football.

Most sincerely,

Chuck”

You did "Pop" proud with this post. Well done. *
by ocmj  (2019-06-05 01:19:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fantastic post. Thank you for sharing it. *
by ThreeD  (2019-05-30 11:49:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AMEN. RIP CHUCK....Go IRISH!!!! *
by ndharvey  (2019-05-30 10:51:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent *
by Irish88  (2019-05-29 21:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bravo. *
by domerfromkansas  (2019-05-29 21:06:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a great post.
by ndtnguy  (2019-05-29 20:17:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's to your Pop.

Very nice *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-29 19:43:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you
by BMeyer06  (2019-05-29 19:34:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My family thanks you for all the prayers and well wishes.

Adding Chuck to my personal list of heroes.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-29 17:40:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great, great post.

RIP, Chuck.

...these situations would never have came into existence...
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-29 17:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely right.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful memories. May he rest in peace.

Raise the Parting Glass to Chuck at kickoff come 9/2. RIP
by Up the Irish  (2019-05-29 16:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, we should do that. Tagging this thread. ... Oops, no
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-29 16:38:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not tagging it.

I’ll make note of it somewhere. A Cheers to Chuck right before kickoff at Luhville.

This post should be saved. Well done.
by drmurray  (2019-05-29 14:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, Michigan sucks.

Thank you for a portrait of that generation of ND alumni and
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-05-29 13:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fans. So reminds me of my dad, a subway alum, but passionate to the hilt about all things Notre Dame with football at the top of the list.

You captured so much in a few paragraphs. Well done sir and condolences to you and your family.

Hard to name the Seven Dwarfs
by RJD  (2019-05-29 13:03:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoyed the post, especially the perspective on Rockne's death. I too remember the losses more than the wins. Unfortunately, the losses have become as nondescript as the wins the past 25 years. Exceptions would be the Alabama Championship game, Clemson (twice), FSU invisible pick play, and of course the Bush Push.

The pain eclipses the elation
by The Flash  (2019-05-29 17:09:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1964 USC: the phantom holding call that deleted our national championship

1978 USC: the lying ref called incomplete pass on the Paul McDonald fumble

Double ouch *
by RJD  (2019-05-29 20:04:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thx for sharing....great read *
by domerduck  (2019-05-29 12:32:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God bless your Grandpa and family. Thank you for sharing. *
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2019-05-29 11:53:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent
by SEE  (2019-05-29 10:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Captures many of the arguments and concerns raised here over the years

Wonderful post. Great work. *
by Bruno95  (2019-05-29 09:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Outstanding. Thank you. *
by The Flash  (2019-05-29 09:58:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prayers for Chuck, and gratitude to you for sharing * *
by jrdjr84  (2019-05-29 09:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rockne’s playbook is being copied to this day
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-05-29 09:09:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One could argue that the rise of many schools in the academic rankings can be traced to the success and popularity of their football and basketball programs. Some of them actually still remember where their bread is buttered.

Thank you for sharing. *
by rgvirish  (2019-05-29 08:37:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou was wrong. This explanation suffices. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-05-29 08:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HOF. “Hi-ya Pal.” Oh my. What a strong letter, what a lovely
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-29 07:50:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

post.

And Ronan Rockne is a super-kicka$$ name.

Well done!
by Tiger Stadium  (2019-05-29 07:44:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your grandfather shares many of the same attributes my own father had when it came to Notre Dame. A deep, passionate love affair that was visible to the day he died.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

RIP, "Chuck"

HOF Post - You Have Done Him and Yourself Proud *
by subalumt  (2019-05-29 07:26:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. *
by 1002  (2019-05-29 07:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post