2020 team
by SEE (2019-10-17 23:13:17)

ND will lose Jones, Claypool and Finke on offense Kmet looks like the only early entry candidate.

It’s likely ND will return the entire offensive line, Book, Armstrong, Young, gain Austin, McKinley, Wright, Tremble, Lenzy, Keys... as with the defense there won’t be a position without returning experience and talent. Jurkovec will be a junior. We also add Tyree and 5-star wr Johnson.

Add in a surprisingly effective punter and kicker combo and ND might have its best team under Kelly.

Here are the likely changes:

Austin for Claypool
Armstrong and Smith (toldya) for Jones
Wright and Tremble for Kmet (watch out for Mayer)
Keys for Finke

Hayes for Okwara
Ade for Kareem
Lamb/Simon for Bilal
Vaughn for Pride
Hamilton for Elliott
Griffith for Gillman

Will be a boring offseason, in a good way.

The November schedule could be interesting.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-10-18 18:40:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Among the November games, we play Clemson and Louisville at home and close out against Southern Cal. This is after playing Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Stanford earlier in the year.

Kelly still coach and we lose a ton on D. Pointless *
by airborneirish  (2019-10-18 14:16:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're all going to die
by SEE  (2019-10-18 16:02:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

arent we?

Dust in the wind and all that.

Why bother?

Under Kelly that is the feeling - why bother?
by airborneirish  (2019-10-18 17:46:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't get why you're excited about Book returning. Kelly will still be the coach, Quinn will coach the O-line you're excited about seeing next year, and we are going to lose very important players on defense.

We're also halfway through the season and you're posting about 2020. What compelled you to do so man?

Find a new hobby, jeez. *
by themanwhowouldbeking  (2019-10-19 09:26:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was there a hint of excitement around Book returning?
by SEE  (2019-10-18 19:44:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s a reason I included Jurkovec in there.

Thanks for this. I was thinking about this yesterday
by dulac89  (2019-10-18 11:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Considering the team is (overall) relatively young, with some very strong recruits coming in, it's almost a little crazy to think that next year's team could be considerably better than this year, which so far appears to be one of Kelly's best teams.

I think CB is the biggest concern
by BmoreIrish  (2019-10-18 08:51:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Bracy/Vaughn combo does not inspire much confidence but they should get very meaningful experience the rest of this season. We will definitely need to develop depth at DE but it does seem like the recruiting pedigree is there with the younger guys. Hopefully the interior of the D-line becomes a strength with one more year of maturity for everyone. Hopefully Griffith can make a similar leap that Jalen Elliott did his junior year.

I hope Tyree is as good as advertised because our offense is sorely lacking a homerun threat. Would love to see us lean heavily on that O-line.

Bigger concern than Head Coach? *
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 14:19:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They can only play Vaughn 1 more game...
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 08:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if they intend on bringing him back for a 5th year next year.

there's also the chance...
by DavidAddison  (2019-10-18 14:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that ND preserves a year of eligibility for him and yet he later chooses to grad transfer and play his 5th year somewhere else. Might depend on where he perceives himself to be on next year's depth chart.

Recall last year there was some talk of Shawn Crawford considering a grad transfer for fear he wouldn't get a starting position in base defense. Might've been strictly a rumor.

Will it be against Michigan or in a bowl game?
by Jvan  (2019-10-18 10:36:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he plays against Michigan and someone goes down with an injury, they may not be able to preserve his fifth year unless they take their chances with freshmen.

I would play him vs. Michigan and then in CFP if we make it
by athlete37  (2019-10-18 13:58:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we don't make it, don't play him after Michigan. If we do make it, give him a chance to play in it and the team its best chance at winning

I suspect that is the plan
by Jvan  (2019-10-18 14:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My point was that injuries could complicate matters if they occur in November. I agree with playing him against Michigan's talented receivers and hoping for the best thereafter.

It's definitely not a guarantee he'll be back. *
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 11:33:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Book may try his luck elsewhere as a grad transfer
by irish2x  (2019-10-18 08:50:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's been good for us, won a ton of games. Great kid as well. But I am hoping (the new ND standard) that the staff turns their attention to Phil next year.

I don't think there's any chance this happens....
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 08:59:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He really wants to pursue the NFL. He was considering leaving last year. And no, I don't think he's going to make it in the NFL.

Book doesn't seem remotely NFL caliber to me
by dulacshakur  (2019-10-18 09:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like Ian, and we've been fortunate to have him, but I'd be floored if he ever takes a snap in an NFL game. He doesn't have a strong enough arm, can't throw deep with any accuracy, and lacks the pocket presence to compensate for his height. He's also relatively poor at checking down, which might be a consequence of not seeing the field particularly well.

I'm genuinely curious as to why he thinks he has a future in the NFL.

As to your last sentence,
by smithwick  (2019-10-18 10:02:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's the starting quarterback at Notre Dame and is 13-2 as a starter. While I agree that he's not close to being ready (if ever), I'm guessing the kid doesn't lack for confidence.

Is he any worse than AJ McCarron?
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 12:46:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AJ is STILL in the NFL!

He's not even close to as good as McCarron
by dulacshakur  (2019-10-18 13:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McCarron was runner-up for the Heisman. He's three inches taller than Book, had/has a better arm, and was far more comfortable in the pocket.

He also has Book clearly beaten in the tattoo department...

I don't know, man
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 14:18:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The numbers they put up as first-year starters are pretty damn similar:

McCarron: 219/328 (66.8%), 2634 yards, 8.0 yds/att, 16 TD/5 INT, 147.3 rating

Book: 214/314 (68.2%), 2628 yards, 8.4 yards, 8.6 yds/att, 19 TD/7 INT, 154.0 rating

McCarron's Heisman finish was more about the team he played for than his individual talent/accomplishments. Moreover, Ian Book was getting a decent amount of Heisman buzz coming into the season (see link for one such example).

I can't argue with your claims that he (1) has/had a better arm, and (2) was more comfortable in the pocket. However, he was surrounded by a lot better talent (that roster was loaded with 5-star players) and was protected by a better offensive line.

There's a reason he's only started 3 games in his career (and only started those games because Dalton got hurt).

You're right -- he has only started 3 games
by dulacshakur  (2019-10-18 16:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we're talking about the NFL. I'm relatively confident Ian will start zero. I'm not suggesting McCarron is a burgeoning NFL star, just that he's a far better QB than Book will ever be.

Many smart people on this board and others have wondered aloud whether Book should be benched (or suggested Kelly should do so), and many others are disappointed in his lack of improvement (or worse). Sure, McCarron had great talent around him, but he was also a first-team All-American who finished second in Heisman voting. I don't think Book would've been a superstar at Alabama -- he just doesn't see the field well enough or have the ability to make enough throws.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd be thrilled if Kelly gave Jurkovec more snaps, and I'd be disappointed if Book returned as the starter next year. I'm pretty sure I'd feel differently if McCarron were on the team -- especially if his girlfriend/wife tagged along.

Don't forget about his mom. Also not too shabby *
by ndzippy  (2019-10-18 16:59:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plays in a different offense
by jt  (2019-10-18 15:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he doesn't have the arm strength that AJ has.

I also think his mechanics are cleaner/more efficient.
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-18 14:47:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I don't really see that changing.

I thought you were going to post a pic of his GF
by Voisman  (2019-10-18 13:39:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Mushburger was salivating over back in the day.

Brent and every other straight male in America.
by Tonybullets  (2019-10-18 17:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, my wife laughed when I showed her the video that he had to apologize for.

Losing Okwara/Kareem will hurt
by athlete37  (2019-10-18 07:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Expectations were so high for them that I think they have actually been under appreciated this year. They have forced most teams into a game plan revolving around them. Additionally, having Ade and Hayes (pre injury) to come in fresh throughout the game puts continual stress on an OL. I think both will be very good next year, but we had Clemson-like depth there in September.

I also think Troy Pride takes a lot of undue flack. The 30 some yard td AmonRa had was the first sizable vertical/go touchdown we have given up outside of Clemson 2Q since SC 2016. We used to have seasons where that was a regular occurrence. Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, ASU, hell even Pitt.

and Jamir Jones *
by Voisman  (2019-10-18 12:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given the off-season history with this program
by Nyirish08  (2019-10-18 07:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't count on anything.

FOCUS on the BYE Week....P$U Sucks *
by ndharvey (click here to email the poster)  (2019-10-18 05:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan and P State suck
by chucknd  (2019-10-18 16:53:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's my boy- just like the Springfield Chally gang
- Hi Harv

Interior of DL could be quite solid .. *
by sdalenberg  (2019-10-18 00:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also might get that osu transfer @ safety too *
by Voisman  (2019-10-18 00:16:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's already booked for the next home game..
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 07:57:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wants his mom to see campus.

Read that also. He was recruited by ND coming out of HS
by Voisman  (2019-10-18 12:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so he may end up coming here after he graduates. I understand he would have 2 years of eligibility left as well, just like Gilman did, but without sitting out a year. We need safety help next year to go with #14!

I think it's a done deal....
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 15:10:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he starts alongside #14 next year.

Tony Jones is eligible for a 5th year *
by Ajax  (2019-10-18 00:09:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting. Tx *
by SEE  (2019-10-18 08:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really think Jones will be back.
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 07:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kmet is going to end up a 1st rounder. His brother being on the baseball team is the only chance of him coming back.

Kmet could also return.
by smithwick  (2019-10-18 07:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’d be a very high draft pick if he left, but he appears committed to playing baseball this spring with his brother which may cause him to delay his pro aspirations for another year.

Is Kmet a pro-caliber pitcher? *
by Tex Francisco  (2019-10-18 10:35:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could play baseball at ND in the Spring..
by TWO  (2019-10-18 10:05:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and still go to the NFL. So while I'm glad he's staying to play baseball I don't take that as an indicator that he'll be with the football team in 2020.

The NFL draft will be late April, and it's unlikely that the Irish make the NCAA tournament in baseball. He'll be available for any team that drafts him right after the season ends.

This is unlikely...
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 11:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most players pursuing the NFL don't even attend classes at ND in the spring while they prepare for the draft.

The entire focus is improving your numbers for the combine which can impact how you're ultimately paid.

I can't imagine playing baseball would be a good idea.

It would definitely be rolling the dice..
by TWO  (2019-10-18 12:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To go play baseball and make yourself available for the draft.

But even if he didn't take the what has become the standard route for those going to the draft, a team certainly could look at his body of work on the field and make a determination of his worth and draft him.

I do agree that in today's world that could cause him to drop in the draft and cost him some money.

Pre-draft prep is a full-time job.
by irishaddict  (2019-10-18 10:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's pretty unheard of in this day and age for a guy to play a spring sport and prep for the draft.

Yes, if Kmet plays baseball, he'll play football in 2020.
by irishdemon  (2019-10-18 12:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he's going to enter the draft, he'll have to go to the combine and spend the spring traveling the country for pre-draft interviews and workouts.

Not to mention his own personal focus and workout regiment will have to be 100% football.

He may be the most complete TE we've had
by BmoreIrish  (2019-10-18 08:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the last 20 years, and that's really saying something. Eifert was probably a better pass catcher, Rudolph was probably a tougher cover, Niklas a more devastating blocker, but Kmet's combo of size, hands, speed and blocking ability is very rare. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the leap.

eifort was like a WR at tight end
by vivaflanner  (2019-10-20 00:18:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like Kmet's game a lot, but Eifert was considerably more of a threat as a receiver.

Kmet needs work on his strength and blocking
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-10-18 14:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be a more complete TE.

The collarbone injury no doubt set him back in terms of strength.
He also lacks strength in his lower base. That has been apparent to me in the games thus far. He could do a much better job of breaking tackles once he builds some more strength.
His blocking is inconsistent. Should be much better...and will be in due time.

Even with some of those shortcomings that scouts might ding him for--he will likely be a 1st round pick if he opts to come out.

He’s been excellent. Maybe an eyelash below Rudolph. *
by IrishGeek  (2019-10-18 10:49:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Logically, he should go. But like Zach Martin
by smithwick  (2019-10-18 10:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who stayed his senior year to play with his brother, Kmet appears to want to play a year with his brother on the baseball team. I don't believe he'd be able to be drafted and then finish out the season playing baseball, but I could be wrong.

Agree though that he's the most well-rounded of the bunch.

No he can be drafted and continue to play baseball.
by TWO  (2019-10-18 13:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just couldn't play football.

There are players, like Jeff Samardzija, who signed Pro Baseball contracts and returned to play college football.

Pat Cannaughton also signed a baseball contract
by trout  (2019-10-19 06:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got a $400 k signing bonus from the Orioles, after which, he still played college basketball