UCONN pulls the plug (link)
by BeatPS0607 (2020-08-05 08:41:36)

They should’ve done it years ago.
by Nitschke  (2020-08-05 11:48:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sorry, was that wrong?

They did.
by Revue Party  (2020-08-05 19:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Essentially.

Charlie Strong and Rick Pitino doomed them
by Tex Francisco  (2020-08-05 13:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In late 2012 when Maryland voted to leave the ACC, Louisville's football and basketball teams were both top 20. UConn's men's basketball team was still pretty good, but football was extremely mediocre. In a lot of ways, I think UConn actually checked more boxes for the ACC than Louisville, but Louisville, with Tom Jurich as AD, was more committed to their athletic department and getting better results in the big money sports.

There was ConFLiCT over this decision and not a Civil one *
by Irish Jim  (2020-08-05 12:32:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As an independent without a tv deal, it's not surprising.
by tdiddy07  (2020-08-05 10:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd guess the season would be a net loss at a time departments are struggling.

It surprises me a little
by tf86  (2020-08-05 12:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the Power 5 playing mostly conference-only schedules, they will produce fewer bowl-eligible teams than usual. That opens the door to a bowl game for some of the lesser independents this season. A bowl game means a national TV appearance, which would be tremendous exposure for their football team.

Their football program lost $13.3M
by CrazyMary  (2020-08-05 15:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in 2019 on only $3.3M in revs. That will cripple the athletic department. (Notwithstanding some creative accounting)

How much were they going to lose in this environment?

They'd lose even more money if they went to a bowl game.

UCONN should never have gone to D-1 football. *
by Homeboy73  (2020-08-05 19:17:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Idaho may be next
by TWO  (2020-08-05 09:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

story is out there that 3/4 of the team wants to opt out of the season due to Covid-19 fears.

Thanks,I just had a Charley Molnar flashback *
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-08-05 10:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a window salesman at my house a few months ago
by Tex Francisco  (2020-08-05 10:58:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His son played QB and got a lot of early attention from the big boy schools, but ultimately didn't land any power 5 offers. Anyway, he attended camp at Notre Dame and said he absolutely loved Notre Dame overall but that Charley Molnar was possibly the biggest d-bag he met during the whole recruiting process.

I had heard similar things about Jappy Oliver back
by jt  (2020-08-05 11:40:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the Weis years. Just really rubbed people the wrong way.

They should end football forever. Perhaps their
by Raoul  (2020-08-05 09:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players should be able to transfer immediately because of this.

I thought that's what the post was going to be. *
by EMK64  (2020-08-05 10:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too *
by irishhawk49  (2020-08-05 16:21:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's likely to happen
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2020-08-05 09:50:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This probably had as much to do with $$ as the virus, and a year off isn't going to help the program. Given their recent conference issues, this is heading down like a bullet.

I suspect this will get the ball rolling for other programs
by Steelhop  (2020-08-05 09:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to do the same. Just need one to weaken the dam. My guess is this will eventually lead up to the Power 5 teams but they will be the most resistant to cancelling the season. The PAC10 were looking for ways to move to the spring so my guess is that they will be 1st, followed by the B1G, then ACC, B12 and finally the SEC. Then comes basketball. I don't think they necessarily should but lawyers, liability and insurance have ways of pushing these issues.

One thing UConn that made it hard for them is that they are an independent this year. Tough to schedule games that way.

The Big 10 just announced their full schedule today.
by emd811  (2020-08-05 09:31:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn't seem like they are in a hurry to cancel anything.

players are not on board as of yet
by jt  (2020-08-05 12:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

want to see the safety protocols.

This might get ugly.

Maybe remind the players they need to be responsible. You
by DomerJon  (2020-08-05 21:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Know, no parties, doing your girlfriend, side piece, oh and the other side piece! I have absolutely no faith they would listen to any protocols themselves.

classic *
by jt  (2020-08-06 11:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping someone would enjoy that! *
by DomerJon  (2020-08-06 12:07:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is August 5th, let's see if they tee it up on Sept 3rd.
by Steelhop  (2020-08-05 09:48:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let me be clear, I think they should play normally, but at the end of the day, liability and public pressure will force them to cancel the season. Just think about having 1 outbreak on September 1st. What do you think that will do.

UConn is in a different situation as you point out...
by DawsonMayes871  (2020-08-05 09:31:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were absolutely screwed in terms of scheduling. I don’t believe this gets the ball rolling in terms of major college football. Those dominos may eventually fall, but UConn’s decision will have nothing to do with it.

Ed Orgeron wants to play
by roccoglobboschoolforwomen  (2020-08-05 09:11:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He said the other day "You call us at midnight and we'll play you in a pasture". My guess is the SEC will find a way to play.

The Pac 12 however seems to be on the opposite side of the coin. They've got a mini-uprising of players demanding things like payment in the name of Covid protection. Seems like a mess that may not get untangled in time.

If the Pac 12 is out, this would be the year for conf Champs
by DomerJon  (2020-08-05 09:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to advance to the playoffs. There are no marquee OOC games to boost anyone up and it will be the top 2 teams playing in the conference Championship. otherwise you will end up getting Herbie and gang talking about the eye test and wanting to put in 3 loss SEC or Michigan.

I really think that the Pac 12 is not going to play
by jt  (2020-08-05 14:33:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going to be very tough.

Because of the unified football players?
by Irish Warrior  (2020-08-05 14:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or something else? Just curious

because of the virus *
by jt  (2020-08-05 15:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan could win the Rose Bowl. By forfeit. *
by ArasEra  (2020-08-05 13:31:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post