Mike Elston says ND can recruit "less than half"
by miamioh_irishfan (2021-02-03 15:10:06)
Edited on 2021-02-03 15:11:45

of the top 100.

Something never seems to add up when they trot out this excuse every single year.

Zero is less than half. Seems to be the party line. *
by Gort  (2021-02-04 01:24:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then they should work twice as hard recruiting the ones
by akaRonMexico  (2021-02-03 19:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they can take.

This is just another excuse but they aren’t held accountable so it doesn’t matter

Exactly
by pmcdnd96  (2021-02-04 10:28:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also might be willing to accept the "we can't recruit those elite players who go to Alabama because they're obviously all dumbasses who can't read" line if we either:
1.) Landed a disproportionate number of recruits from the 75 - 150 range because we were all over the kids who were smart enough to get in (we don't)
2.) Focused our efforts on finding a steady stream of players to become the next Luke Keuchly, Aaron Donald, or Patrick Mahomes 3-star sleeper who becomes a stud. (we don't, but in fairness, how could we have possibly known a late bloomer from a Catholic high school, a workaholic from Pittsburgh, or the son of a professional athlete might become a good player?)

Elston is 0% in the last 10 years (0-for-101)
by MrE  (2021-02-03 19:22:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since signing Lynch and Tuitt in the 2011 class, Notre Dame has offered 101 defensive line recruits rated in the Top 100 and landed zero (2012-2021).

Elston is a great vaccine against top 100 DL Recruits *
by Flanner_11B  (2021-02-03 19:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

19%
by 1nd1  (2021-02-03 18:54:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There seems to be a consensus on this board Kelly and his staff are under achieving recruiters.
Let’s be realistic Norte Dame in most given years can extend offers to about 19 % of eligible high school football players. 81% do not qualify.
100% of universities can recruit the 19% meeting the requirements for Norte Dame, leaving a small pool factoring in kids that want to play for the State school, or will follow a girlfriend or buddy to a college.
Of course some want to go to the perennial powers and the places the cash payments, cars, ghost jobs etc exist. Some of this is hard for an athlete to resist.
Many love the game and want a degree, but want a cupcake curriculum to be able to party hearty, not worried about the future. There are many cases of ex all Americans and ex NFL athletes toiling in construction jobs and un-glamorous occupations, because they chose the easy path. Some want only to play ball for 2 or 3 years and turn pro, never getting a degree, each year the powerhouses see a mass exodus of this type only to bring in more like them.
Norte Dame is a victim of their own requirements and commitment to being a quality university first and foremost focusing on giving those that choose to attend the best education the school has to offer, they can compromise that for the sake of winning sports, but that means compromising the values held dear.
It is not the coach, I have head the sales pitch given to recruits by the coaches it is impressive what is offered, but no where does it say it will be easy, if the athlete does not want to be challenged as much in the classroom as on the field, all the sales pitches in the world will not bring him to Norte Dame.

El Norte Dame
by Son of Galway  (2021-02-06 21:32:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The promised land dreamed of by Guatemalan football players.

19% of the time, it works every time *
by IrishLep  (2021-02-04 12:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

grades *
by jt  (2021-02-04 12:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even crappy coaches at ND have landed their share of
by 84david  (2021-02-04 09:31:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5* players. Despite his coaching deficiencies, Weis landed quite a few players at the top of their respective positions. Faust as well.

Of course, combinations of great coach and tireless recruiter at ND do very well with the top 100- and top 25 at that. (Lou take a bow).

We aren't in on top players because Kelly delegates recruiting to his coordinators, while the top coaches/recruiters are there side by side with their coordinators from the very beginning.

ND isn't as hard to get into as you think.
by Bruno95  (2021-02-04 09:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I can understand why it might seem unattainable to you.

Yeah, but how about Norte Dame?.....
by Marine Domer  (2021-02-04 16:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This has to be a fake. No one is that stupid. Ok, well.....

That’s just made up
by HTownND  (2021-02-04 08:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Literally you made that number up

FUTK
by knutesteen  (2021-02-03 23:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Friend, unity, togetherness and kindness?" I think not, but kudos for having a profile, or at least 19% of one.

They offered more than half of the 5 stars
by Groundhog  (2021-02-03 22:54:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 19% number is a pure load of crap from a staff that continues to get pantsed on the recruiting trail.

Offer does not equal admitted, Due dilgience
by ODSCHOOL  (2021-02-07 13:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starts at the offer.

"19%" adds up to over 200 kids over Kelly's reign.
by 88_92WSND  (2021-02-03 22:36:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That should be more than enough opportunities to attract someone to a purported top tier "brand"....

The lie was put to this reasoning a couple months back. We
by VaDblDmr  (2021-02-03 21:49:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

can recruit substantially more than 19%, and more than what Elston is claiming. That is unless, somehow, Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake, Duke, et al. have lower academic standards than we do for football recruiting.

Well you’re full of $@&$. *
by tdiddy07  (2021-02-03 21:16:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You must be new here. *
by Ryno  (2021-02-03 19:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I dub thee Dos Nortes *
by montroy28  (2021-02-03 19:51:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shouldn’t it be Quattro Nortes? *
by ndstein04  (2021-02-03 22:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I should have done more than glance
by montroy28  (2021-02-04 07:36:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I only got so far before I stopped reading I suppose

Cuatro nortes, ese. O quattro norde, capisce? *
by Jess  (2021-02-03 22:52:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your entire post is diarrhea *
by ACross  (2021-02-03 19:47:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It depends on who is giving the sales pitch.... *
by Wolfetone  (2021-02-03 19:37:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND should hire Charlie Weis as a consultant.
by MrE  (2021-02-03 19:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could tell the current staff how he did it.

Weis had many faults
by Flann  (2021-02-04 16:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But he worked hard which was the underlying reason he recruited well. The NFL cachet helped a bit, buoyed by the first two years of moderate success, but ultimately he just put in the hours.

I'd like to see the math/data on the 19% claim
by Ty Webb  (2021-02-03 19:05:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me thinks that 19% is bullshit.

Same. You would need to agree on
by KnightlyRevue  (2021-02-03 21:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Source data, duration of evaluation (no less than 5 years but probably equal to the coaches current tenure) etc.

All the excuses in one post
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-02-03 19:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you should show your work on the 19% thing too.

I want some follow-ups
by gordonbombay  (2021-02-03 17:46:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect what he really means is that ND can only hope to get that amount of the top 100 to buy into what ND is selling. I'm sure they could get more than that into the school, but many top-100 kids just aren't interested in the 4-for-40 rhetoric and the extra work it takes to live up to that.

4 for 40 is stupid
by Catdog2  (2021-02-03 18:24:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want 4 for 10:

GO to school for for years, play 10 in the NFL, retire.

or

Go to school for 4 years, slay in the corporate world for 10, retire.

40 years is such a plebian drag...

I think you are right on the mark
by Flanner89  (2021-02-03 17:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your concise summary is exactly what I took away from an article I read in the last few months.

Okay. I'll take 25%. Go get em' Coach! *
by IRISHPRIDE09  (2021-02-03 15:58:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing's changed in the past 50 years
by ND74KJS  (2021-02-03 15:34:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I was involved in ND recruiting 50 years ago we were able to recruit 35-45 top 100 football recruits. Basketball was able to recruit 5-10 top 100 recruits.

what's his batting average on DL top 100?
by MrE  (2021-02-03 15:24:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

# of Top 100 DL commmits/# of total offers to top 100 DL.

Not sure.
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-02-03 18:11:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we need some of those big, 'greezy, nasty SEC DT's.

Maybe those guys fall into the percentage category of guys he cant get.

a la Dallas Turner:5-star/#8 overall from St.Thomas Aquinas?
by MrE  (2021-02-03 18:38:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who signed with Alabama.

Offered by ND in June 2020, 7 months after Alabama offered.
3 months after Stanford offered.
6 months before signing day.

"One of the coaches (Director of Recruiting Aaryn Kearney) had been in touch with me since my freshman year,” said Turner. “He got in touch not too long ago again and he was touching base with me and asking about my grades. I showed him I had a 4.0 GPA. The defensive line coach (Mike Elston) texted me later on that day and then they gave me the offer."

Pure negligence by Notre Dame Recruiting Staff & Coaches
by Hickster  (2021-02-08 13:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Elston and Lea should be all over the eligibility of this recruit at the latest in the Fall of 2019. Northwestern offered before Stanford. Pure laziness.

Pure negligence by Notre Dame Recruiting Staff & Coaches
by Hickster  (2021-02-07 16:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Elston and Lea should be all over the eligibility of this recruit at the latest in the Fall of 2019. Northwestern offered before Stanford. Pure laziness.

Yes sir.
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-02-03 21:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amazing how good these kids are.

He chose his words carefully for a reason
by mocopdx  (2021-02-03 15:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Mike Elston estimates Notre Dame could recruit less than half of the Top 100 recruits in the country based on profile for program."

Based on profile for program.

Nick Saban would turn that to 85% overnight without asking for a single concession academically.

Alabama signed 10 of the top 50 for this class.
by MobileIrish  (2021-02-03 16:54:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unreal. ND would be thrilled with 5 top 100 players.

RKGs
by HTownND  (2021-02-03 15:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We eliminated Quinn Ewers because he wasn't a system fit. He has the grades and we could easily have recruited him.

Reality - we had no chance, so we didn't even try (even though North Texas did) and we "couldn't" recruit him.