Did ND recruit Luther Burden, WR, East St Louis?
by ACross (2021-10-19 19:12:41)

I wonder if Kelly's name is mud around here due to the unceremonious exits of the WR from DeSmet and the athlete from Edwardsville. We did get the DL from the most elite private HS in town.

DeSmet is a pretty good school, is it not?
by jt  (2021-10-20 10:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know that it's Jesuit, but I try not to hold that sort of thing against an institution.

Is it in ESL?

What is ESL?
by ACross  (2021-10-20 12:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

DeSmet is pretty good academically. Probably just beneath the upper tier tier of Catholic scools in terms of academics. Probably tbe best football program. They recruit kids.

it's where someone spray painted "honky lips"
by jt  (2021-10-20 13:03:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on your family truckster.

Oops. It is 2 miles from my house.
by ACross  (2021-10-20 14:03:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I live within 4 miles of 4 Catholic boys schools. DeSmet, Chaminade, Priory and Christian Brothers. I have no real allegiance to any of them. My sons. will probably end up at Priory

I’ve been to the Wedding Cake hundreds of times *
by dillon301  (2021-10-20 16:49:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is SLU Prep off the table due to proximity or quality?
by mocopdx  (2021-10-20 16:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or both? My dad graduated from there in 1972. He used to swim at the Ferguson Ritenour YMCA as well from 68-72. He loved both the school and the area but I gather much has changed from what he told me last time the topic came up.

Mainly logistics
by ACross  (2021-10-20 16:53:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We really wont decide until later. It will be based solely on fit.

I'll assume the commute to Rockhurst is a tad too much
by irishrock  (2021-10-20 17:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously, all the Saint Louis schools have wonderful reputations.

The priests rotated back and forth between SLUH and Rockhurst, it would seem. We didn't have any DeSmet priests when I attended school.

The Rock soccer team plays all the Saint Louis schools, and the football team has played CBC and DeSmet the last two weeks. The lack of a conference allows Rockhurst to play schools all over the Midwest which is a good thing.

probably will wind up being IMG Academy
by Final_Flanner  (2021-10-20 17:13:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maximize that scholly potential.

there's no Char Bar/Meat Mitch in Florida *
by irishrock  (2021-10-20 17:38:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was asking if De Smet was in East St Louis
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-10-20 12:40:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I Googled it. It's not.

ESL is sadly a world away from DeSmet
by ACross  (2021-10-20 14:13:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People should know that East St Louis is
Just across the bridge from downtown St Louis.

It is a sad commentary on America of the last 60 years. Total governmental and human failure. Plenty of blame to go around. Local,state, federal, private, collective.

We pulled Biedschied out of there
by AquinasDomer  (2021-10-20 11:05:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was our best bball recruit in ratings since Digger. Washed out at ND and then several other schools and then died in a shooting. Some guys at any schools will or won't be character fits. Just because they're a catholic school doesn't mean all their guys are fits.

Munir Prince ("whoosh") and Paddy Mullen too
by garbageplate  (2021-10-20 11:24:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We whiffed on Mac Markway, who was one of our top TE targets for 2023, but we are a top contender for his teammate, Christian Gray (a cornerback).

The former coach at De Smet was rumored to be potentially in the mix for an assistant coach position at ND, but he ended up going to the Vikings. We'd do well to establish a relationship with the new coach, given the talent coming out of that school each year.

Sure
by AquinasDomer  (2021-10-20 12:39:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've reached out to non traditional feeders more in recent years, but we also seem good at identifying who is and isn't a fit. If this kid were a fit we'd have offered.

Agreed
by garbageplate  (2021-10-20 13:30:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, there are schools where an overwhelming number of students are not prepared adequately to succeed at ND. Of course, there are always outliers, so we typically would not want to avoid a school categorically (unless, for example, the HS football coach is actively working against ND).

It isn't just bad luck that we virtually never contend for recruits from a number of top prep programs, such as Cleveland Glenville, Camden (NJ) High, Miami Northwestern (or Central), Belle Glade, Glades Central, Pahokee, Indianapolis Lawrence Central and Warren Central (Sheldon Day being a notable exception), Houston North Shore and Dominguez (CA), among many others. I don't think it's for lack of trying, even though it's fair game to question the effort of the ND coaches on the recruiting trail at times.

Opposite of ESL *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-10-20 10:28:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes sense
by jt  (2021-10-20 10:33:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harder to shake down the alumni for funds when you don't have the high end facilities.

Jordan Johnson playing even less at UCF
by RJD  (2021-10-20 09:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Half way through his sophomore season, no stats. I wish him well as my daughter Marilyn is a UCF grad but so far it doesn't look like the ND staff was the problem.

Not listed as injured either...Rick

To answer your question directly, no ND didn’t offer him.
by 84david  (2021-10-20 08:12:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea why not and won’t speculate.

He had 41 offers that included all the other bigs,
but only visited UGa, Mizzou, and OU.

Not to defend Kelly here
by garbageplate  (2021-10-19 19:41:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I have to wonder whether many of the East St. Louis kids are a fit for ND.

Kyren Williams is thriving as well and we have Gabriel Rubio at DL, so we're pretty active in the area.

The notion that a place like Notre Dame and certain
by irish2x  (2021-10-20 15:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

areas, towns, zip codes, neighborhoods what have you, are worlds apart is still sadly very true. There was a young man from my hometown of Douglas, GA, a very talented 4 star football player, running back, Black from a very rough part of the town, who admitted that he dreamt of going to school at Notre Dame ever since he was little but that he would probably end up at FSU or UGA.

Smart kid, very self-aware. And yet like a lot of smart kids in those circumstances, spent his high school graduation and what should have been his 4 years as a Division 1 running back in prison.

Thats a pretty bold statement.
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-10-19 20:30:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would bet some of those kids would thrive at ND.

Many of them played in scrap jerseys with tape for numbers on their "jerseys".

Dodging bullets on the way home from practice.

Many could thrive
by Vairish84  (2021-10-20 13:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but they aren't prepared for calculus or the academic grind that is ND. They are probably smart enough and have the desire, but they can't get admitted, even a lower admission standard. if they didn't have the need for the full time job that is a Divsion 1 sports team, they might be able to reach their full academic potential and overcome their existing handicap.

This isn't a failure of Kelly or ND. This is a failure of our, particularly inner city, schools to properly educate children for their future.

Exactly
by garbageplate  (2021-10-20 13:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It isn't the fault of the students. They haven't prepared to succeed and they simply don't have the options or resources that they'd need to make it at ND. Not all, but many.

It really isn't bold at all
by garbageplate  (2021-10-19 20:37:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The comment mainly pertains to academic readiness and the fact that there probably aren't many self selectors for ND from there. If we can find a prospect who can make it at ND, then, by all means, we should recruit him.

East St. Louis churns out a pretty impressive array of football talent and I can't remember a single prospect who's even considered ND at all in the past quarter century. Is that a coincidence?

Thaats bullshit
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-10-19 21:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thats a cultural stigma you should stop.

Are you familiar with STL’s history?
by Rockbrig97  (2021-10-20 01:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s not wrong. It’s all unfortunate, but the STL metro area has done its part to set ESL back going back generations.

My mom grew up in ESL
by ACross  (2021-10-20 09:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My grandfather was a cattle broker in the stockyards in National City.

The municipality has historically suffered from dysfunction, terrible corruption, and graft.

There are parents who care in that community and similar others like Washington Park and Venice. We have similar communities in North City and JeffVandeLou and Riverview Gardens etc.

Trinity High School just closed and now there are no Catholic schools north of SLU.

There is a chance that your grandfather and my great
by Jeash  (2021-10-20 10:44:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

grandfather did business. My family operated a smaller stock yard on a rail spur here. My great grandfather would have been considered an order buyer and shipped to the bigger yards I out east or the Midwest. I think most of the stock went to Chicago but I know he sent some to St Louis. I know he sent some there during WWI because they were paying a huge premium there do to some government contracts.

That is unacceptable.
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-10-20 03:44:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The same is true on Chicagos West Side.

Glad we gave LaPhonso a chance
by ACross  (2021-10-19 20:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I serve on a charity board with Jackie Joyner-Kersee. She would find your misguided perception pretty upsetting.

And that DL is from the heart of Trump Country, a world away from St Louis and especially East St Louis

I'm glad we did too
by garbageplate  (2021-10-19 20:19:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a prince of a man. That was 35 years ago though and I don't think things have improved much in the city.

I think it's reasonable to infer that academics might be a significant hurdle given the academic profile of the high school. According to a recent profile, 1% of the students are proficient in math and 5% in English, which doesn't augur well for college readiness at ND.

So the pond would be good for them? *
by ACross  (2021-10-19 20:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good lord
by garbageplate  (2021-10-19 20:34:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're right- I'm sure it's a wonderful school with plenty of students who are qualified for ND and I'm just misguided. I'm baffled at why we haven't had more success in Camden, NJ or right up the road in Gary.

We can and often do take chances on guys who wouldn't otherwise be admitted into ND and I think it's great that we do. There are countless numbers of success stories with which we are all familiar. That doesn't change the fact that it's hard to find students who are prepared to succeed at ND from a school with an academic profile like East St. Louis.