How much influence did Jack have in this selection?
by Ty Webb (2023-06-08 11:48:41)

In reply to: Can't be more unctuous and unlikable than Swarthout, so  posted by VaDblDmr

He should have had zero.

Sounds from the article like he basically chose him.
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 11:51:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Describes a series of meetings between he, Jack, and Fr. J. I'm guessing Jack was doing the main vetting and recommending to Fr. J.

And what do you know, he's basically a clone of Jack, down to the law degree from another school and zero experience in an athletic department.

Pete is a good guy. I agree with the skepticism and concern
by RagingBull  (2023-06-08 12:28:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over incestuousness. I would have preferred an AD with actual AD experience. But to respond to the point of him being a clone of Swarbrick, I don't think that's the case. Maybe on paper but I've dealt with both people and I don't think they are the same.

Can't be more unlikable than Swarby. *
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 14:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's probably pumped that he has a low bar to clear
by Ty Webb  (2023-06-08 15:08:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best time for a promotion is when you are replacing a guy no one liked.

Their resumes are not all that similar
by Boston Domer  (2023-06-08 13:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They both worked as in-house counsel for national sports organizations (gymnastics and USGA respectively), but Bevacqua actually worked his way up internally, then moved on to CAA and the PGA of America. All of those jobs plus NBC were far more noteworthy than the Indy sports commission.

Agreed *
by MrE  (2023-06-09 10:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus
by HTownND  (2023-06-08 12:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's going to get a year's apprenticeship sipping Whistle Pig and killing kids via negligence with high powered equipment from the master weatherman and Director of Athletics

POTD *
by Scoop80  (2023-06-08 12:56:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NBC selected him and it was approved by ND. *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 12:02:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, it's hard not to consider the possibility. . . . *
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 14:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

did Pete B. hire Swarbrick's daughter?
by MrE  (2023-06-08 11:58:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and more importantly, is he related to HOF snub Kurt Bevacqua?

Well, Kurt Bevacqua did win
by tf86  (2023-06-08 12:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bubble gum bubble blowing contest one year, if memory serves.

One of the great baseball cards of all-time. Your mastery
by RagingBull  (2023-06-08 12:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of trivia is admirable.

What's not to love.
by Cash  (2023-06-08 11:56:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you and I are just peons. I’m sure we’re just unsophisticated, naive, and bereft of the skills and knowledge it takes to discern why this is all so wonderful.

Cash

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman.
by Revue Party  (2023-06-08 14:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But does he wear lady glasses? *
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-08 11:55:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he didnt get the 30 % discount for mentioning Kramer
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 12:36:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember that night I found you at Dinky Donuts? You were all hopped up on cinnamon swirls! They wouldn't serve you anymore! You wouldn't even have any teeth if it wasn't for me taking you over to Joe's fruit stand and stuff a cantaloupe down your throat! So much for gratitude...

Breaking news: ND's Swarbrick to clean house before leaving
by MrE  (2023-06-08 12:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love it. *
by shawno3  (2023-06-08 12:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My assumption is that it was his call/recommendation.
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 11:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that he wanted Jenkins to be able to make the hire precisely because he could direct that hire.

Well, in fairness, they had so little time.....
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-08 11:54:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure when Jack is formally stepping down in 2024, but there are only 7 months left in 2023. Who could run a competent search in just 7 months? And when you have a nice, incestuous, low hanging fruit sitting right there, why would you pass on the chance to give an up and comer a chance to learn on the job.

Another step on the road to my loss of interest in ND Football.