Because it’s customary the opposite of your opinion
by LAW83 (2023-06-09 16:11:38)

In reply to: I am very skeptical of this AD hire  posted by ACross

mirrors reality.
The prior AD’s most recent two hires seem talented.
Both seem talented recruiters
You’ve expressed you’re a fan of football coach
Can’t imagine any bitching about men’s basketball at this point
Maybe there is someone out there that knows more than you ? Who knew ??

You're giving Swarbucks credit for Freeman?
by ndzippy  (2023-06-09 18:57:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He elevated a fucking coordinator to the head coach role.

Hires don't get any easier than that.

I think your second line answers your post.....
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-09 17:42:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The prior AD’s most recent two hires seem talented." What does that mean?

First, you don't really know, and second you only reference the two most recent hires.

Setting aside the second point, this is Notre Dame. Should we be hiring a head football coach who "seems talented"? Is that the measure now? "Hey, this guy might be good?"

Name me a sure thing Notre Dame hire at head coach
by sprack  (2023-06-10 16:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least viewed that way at the time of hiring, and then lived up to it. I’ll name one: Lou Holtz. That’s it. That’s the list.

Even Frank Leahy had been a head coach for only two years.

Ara had a career record at Northwestern one game over .500 and was coming off a 5-4 season.

Dan Devine had a terrific college coaching record but was coming off a rather lackluster one in the NFL.

It might be wise to wait and see at least a tiny bit.

I’m willing to wait and see with both Freeman and….
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-11 00:22:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shrewsberry which, of course, has nothing to do with my post.

You are vituperative when anyone challenges the status quo. *
by arch_moore  (2023-06-10 22:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not think that word means what you think it does.
by OGerry  (2023-06-10 22:51:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Methuselah has never been vituperative in his short Notre Dame interwebs life.

Switching to hoops: Digger one year HC at Fordham,
by Homeboy73  (2023-06-10 16:22:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doherty no prior HC experience? Brey had HC experience at…Delaware. Shrewsberry 2 years HC at Penn State. McLeod…NBA HC experience.

People saying Shrewsberry is a good hire
by crazychester  (2023-06-10 02:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is the exact same thing as saying this guy is a bad hire.

I'm just tweaking Andy because he has long argued that leeway should be granted to alums and there are 50 replies here that refuse to grant any.

You can be upset about the process but Bevacqua deserves your support.

Recruiting is the life blood of any college or …
by LAW83  (2023-06-09 21:00:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

professional sport team. ND men basketball recruited exceptionally in the limited period coach had. Why doesn’t savvy Jack get a check mark for that hire?
Marcus was DC, so shit, that wasn’t tough ? That’s the reasoning why savy Jack blows. Even he couldn’t screw that one up?
Yep. He couldda hired our OC.
I’ve been a fan and student during Devine/Faust headed football with Digger’s wife my legal writing instructor ; and coach Phelps a frequent visitor to the law school to meet and great ; and bullshit with student body.
Savvy Jack had few if any fans on this site.
His hires are doing the initial necessary work successfully of for the most part getting the athlete student they want/require. Give each 2/3 years. Judge them then

Hell. What about the woman baseball hire. He screw that up too? I think that was/will be a grand slam ! I get it. Who gives a rats ass about women basketball . I do. Probably one of college sports fastest growing sports of popularity .

Critize when warranted. The guy is gone . Let the body get cold.
Give the new guy at least a month or 2 before his hire declared a clunker

Be well

You're giving him credit for Women's Basketball?
by cbiebel  (2023-06-11 07:50:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You mean when he hired Muffet McGraw's hand picked successor, whom she had been grooming for the position for years?

Okay...

What in the hell are you saying
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2023-06-10 00:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Women's baseball?

Recent hire?

Some of that rant is gibberish and disjointed sentences. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2023-06-10 16:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND doesn't have a women's baseball team. But if they did,
by TAR  (2023-06-09 22:48:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, he would fuck that hire up as well. Go back to drowning your Celtic sorrows in your bud light, Mrs. Swarbrick.

It's pretty obvious he meant Niele Ivey
by OGerry  (2023-06-10 00:20:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and women's basketball.

If you lot want to jump on the guy's shit for being dim, you may want to sharpen your own sleuthing skills first. Outsmart the autocrat.

It was obvious. On the other hand, rarely do people express
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-10 09:17:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

themselves so poorly in writing while possessing insight or credibility worth taking consideration of.

You'll get no arguments from me about his writing style.
by OGerry  (2023-06-10 09:43:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do like those Celtics, though.

what's not to like? Rallied from down 3 games to zero
by jt  (2023-06-10 11:09:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be fair, I was rooting for them as well, but Law83's celebration after game 6 was pretty obnoxious. It was quite humorous watching them fall on their face the next game.

My team lost. They got to conference finals . You
by LAW83  (2023-06-10 12:24:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

express glee they lost ? You Savvy jt you !
Get a life clown

I express glee because you acted like a fool
by jt  (2023-06-10 18:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it was funny. It's still funny.

Funny like a clown. You amuse me.

It pissed me off
by DBCooper  (2023-06-10 12:20:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a Celtics fan.

Law was like the guy in the dugout after 7 innings of no hit ball. “Hey, you see what our pitcher is doing? Would be cool to be part of a no hitter”

🙄

Back in 2012 my wife gifted me
by OGerry  (2023-06-10 13:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an uNDefeated sweatshirt for Christmas. She had lost or donated or thrown away the sweatshirt I had had for 20 years.

I shaved off thousands of years of purgatory that day by hiding undetected my dismay and anger and instead genuinely thanking her for what she understood to be a thoughtful gift. It may be my peak achievement of generosity, never to be rivaled.

That recent Celtics hire is fantastic
by jt  (2023-06-09 23:17:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Made it to the conference finals in his first year!

New handle for you . Savvy jt *
by LAW83  (2023-06-10 08:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall the Willingham press conference well
by jt  (2023-06-09 18:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He gets it!

It only takes a flashlight *
by Faustfever  (2023-06-10 23:16:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What hires are you talking about?
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-09 16:28:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shrewsbury hasn't coached a game. People are hopeful, and in fairness I haven't seen any complaints about the choice, but it's hardly the time for a victory lap.

The OC hire was a disaster, which there is nearly unanimous agreement about.

Baseball appears to be headed back into the dumpster.

Freeman enjoys strong support, but, again, any sort of victory lap would be very premature.

So, again, exactly what recent hires by Swarbrick distinguish him from a replacement-level AD?

You’ve missed the key lesson of Jack’s era.
by Carlos Huerta  (2023-06-09 19:50:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s never premature to take a victory lap. You’d be surprised how easy it is to get media to ask you how it felt to win a race you never ran.

A+ *
by MBOIrish  (2023-06-09 21:22:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post