Folllow up Old Fashioned question
by SkullND88 (2023-03-25 20:15:11)

I appreciated the posts below about Bourbons to use in Old Fashioneds. I have a related question. I’ve started using Woodford Reserve’s Old Fashioned mix instead of adding bitters, etc. Does anyone else had an Old Fashioned mix that they recommend? Thanks.

Using a mix is like masturbating while in bed with your
by airborneirish  (2023-03-27 10:59:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wife.

The easiest option? *
by pmcdnd96  (2023-03-27 14:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maple syrup+bitters *
by fontoknow  (2023-03-26 10:19:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like maple syrup with black walnut bitters *
by goirish89  (2023-03-26 18:11:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Redneck OF, use bacon infused bourbon.
by Jurassic  (2023-03-26 10:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you can find it.

I make my own bacon fat washed bourbon *
by fontoknow  (2023-03-26 11:12:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Care to share the recipe?
by Jurassic  (2023-03-26 17:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I tried making one once. It didn't turn out so well. In my defense, I was bored, isolated, and sick with covid for the first time.

I cook a lb of bacon in the oven and pour off the grease.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2023-03-26 18:41:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Foil line the baking sheet or else!)

Let the fat cool a bit and then funnel into a bottle of cheap bourbon (I use Old Forested 100 or Evan Williams black label) that you’ve removed 1-2 Oz from. Cork, shake it until your balls are about to fall off, and then pour it into a large mixing bowl. Place mixing bowl in freezer for 24 hrs. Do not stir or disturb in any way.

Eat bacon, drink poured off 1-2oz of bourbon.

After 24 hrs, remove mixing bowl and pick up solid disc of bacon fat. Trash or reuse as cooking grease. Strain bourbon through coffee filters (I just use my coffee maker for this, and strain into the normal carafe). It may take several filters and a bit of time.

Cork and enjoy.

I like to go with brown butter washed.
by CuzTeahan  (2023-03-27 15:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Melt and brown stick of butter, follow the rest of your directions, and you get a delicious, versatile flavored bourbon.

An Old Fashioned with a barrel proof, brown butter bourbon, 1/4 oz demerara simple, 2 dashes Ango and 1 dash moroccan bitters is ambrosia.

I've had more trouble with bacon and a greasy funk as a wash, but I may have let the grease sit too long.

Save the butter and cook with it. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2023-03-27 16:10:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Butterscotch and hazelnut flavors
by CuzTeahan  (2023-03-27 17:03:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Butter washed bourbon may be butter's highest and best use.

I've done a pistachio washed bourbon that I liked too.
by anthro_domer  (2023-03-27 13:17:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's basically the same procedure, but I lightly toast the pistachios before crushing and tossing in bourbon.

The only thing I do differently
by fontoknow  (2023-03-27 08:13:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is pour the fat into a mason jar. Then top with whiskey. Evan Williams BIB is my go to but, I've also used an infinity bottle. Shake vigorously every five or so minutes for an hour. Than into the freezer for a good 24. I filter into 200 ml bottles. Seal and refrigerator.

Thx for this. *
by Jurassic  (2023-03-27 07:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is the way. Very easy.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2023-03-26 22:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can also do the same with browned butter in place of the bacon fat. Then you have bourbon infused butter to use in cookies.

Make your own syrup.
by Jurassic  (2023-03-26 08:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 parts sugar, 1 part water. Don't be cheap with cherries. Luxardo is best. Fee Brothers make a variety of bitters, if you want to change it up, otherwise Angostura bitters. I've found the mixes don't quite have the proper ratios and have an off putting taste. I'd also suggest a cocktail smoker, they're great to change up the flavor a bit.

Yes! There are lots of recipes online. It’s as easy…
by Giggity_Giggity  (2023-03-26 18:35:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

…as boiling a cup of water.

I like to pour mine in a shallow foil tray and smoke it for 2-4 hours to make smoky simple syrup.

You can literally make it in a blender
by fontoknow  (2023-03-27 09:30:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No need for advanced cooking techniques like boiling water.

Well, I do like the sterilization aspect so that it...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2023-03-27 10:27:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

potentially lasts longer in the fridge.

I suspect that that is over-stated *
by fontoknow  (2023-03-27 12:17:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Proof syrup is pretty good *
by carroll2005  (2023-03-26 07:24:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Log Cabin or nothin’, bro. *
by nitschke  (2023-03-26 12:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ana de Armas has a recipe
by HENNAORNO  (2023-03-25 22:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I prefer her work with Campari.
by The Holtz Room  (2023-03-26 00:04:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just one man’s opinion though.

*Before you ask, the song is by The Champs, but I think that’s Fenne Lilly singing

Just add simple syrup and Angostura to your favorite whiskey
by PrivateJoker  (2023-03-25 21:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be better than any mix you buy.

Skip the simple syrup *
by SonofNotreDame  (2023-03-25 21:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When did you move on from Brass Monkey?
by ACross  (2023-03-25 21:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were ahead of our time, quaffing it in 1986. Went down a little more smoothly than Everclear.

don't monkey with the monkey *
by SkullND88  (2023-03-26 19:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That funky monkey. *
by Nitschke  (2023-03-26 11:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We got the bottle, you got the cup *
by garbageplate  (2023-03-26 12:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C’mon everybody, let’s get— *
by Inigomontoya  (2023-03-26 18:24:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post