Is there a frozen pizza that's worth the money?
by volley (2022-08-08 08:23:03)

Every now and again, I get tempted into buying a freezer pizza. And invariably, it's a disappointing experience.

Last week I saw a Geno's East pizza in the freezer case. I've never eaten at Geno's, but I did recognize it as a venerable Chicago brand, so I gave it a shot. Why not. It didn't taste bad per se, it just didn't taste like anything. I can't imagine how they managed to produce something that devoid of any flavor.

So, is there a frozen pizza that's worth the $7-$9 you'll shell out for one?

Pep's Drafthaus...made in Green Bay, WI...found @ Walmart (link)
by CoachS  (2022-08-08 22:15:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Costs around $8

Not in my opinion.
by doolinbanjos  (2022-08-08 14:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent fresh pizza is still only "food for people that don't like food". Why would you opt for a super shitty version of that?

Sam's Choice at Walmart cheap and surprisingly good *
by DavidAddison  (2022-08-08 13:23:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Costco 4 packs that are like 12 bucks
by gozer  (2022-08-08 12:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then top them at home.

Not in my opinion--we have two good spots within minutes...
by Kbyrnes  (2022-08-08 12:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...(Q's in Hillside, Roberto's in Elmhurst) so it's not like we need to raid the freezer if we're home and want pizza.

On the other hand, cost versus value is a consideration, I guess. A friend's father used to distinguish between dining, where you eat good food and enjoy it, versus fueling, where you just need to fill up and then go on with your day. Frozen pizza, I'd say, has the most value to someone who is really hungry, doesn't cook, has little else around and can't wait a half hour or whatever for fresh pizza for delivery or pickup.

This also reminds me of an exchange I had with my dad about 12 years ago. We were in his kitchen in Long Beach, IN, and he was going to have a hot dog but complained that the buns he got at the store were crummy--all dry and falling apart. "Bunny" brand, I think.

"Why'd you get that brand--I never heard of it."

"Oh, it was in the discount cart--it was a buck cheaper than the regular store brand!"

"Dad, you're 85 and have practically zero expenses. You can afford to pay an extra buck and buy something that tastes good!"

Why frozen when you have Roberto’s? The best! *
by nd67  (2022-08-08 13:28:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes
by mitquinn  (2022-08-08 12:11:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

DelFina and DelPoppolo here in San Francisco have excellent pies they distribute to local bodegas.

No *
by jt  (2022-08-08 11:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Home run inn. *
by airborneirish  (2022-08-08 10:46:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Owned by an ND family. *
by URwhatUR  (2022-08-08 12:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second.
by djpall  (2022-08-08 11:31:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Home Run Inn is very good.

Is it available nationally?
by HScorpio  (2022-08-08 12:03:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have it 1a and 1b with the Baron for cheap frozen pizza. I actually prefer the Home Run crust. They hold up well on the grill.

For some reason I thought it was only sold regionally.

Every once in a while I will get Stouffers French Bread
by NJND96  (2022-08-08 10:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, it will burn the roof of your mouth off. Yes, it's not really "pizza" in the strictest definition. Yes, I could literally go down the street and get fresh pizza 100x better. But dammit, sometimes it hits the spot.

Darn it now I want a French Bread Pizza
by OrangeJubilee  (2022-08-08 10:46:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't know why we don't ever have those anymore, used to quite a bit growing up as a "treat".

Think I'll have to pick some up now!

You gotta find someone whose kids are doing one of them
by potatohouse  (2022-08-08 10:22:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joe Corbi's fundraisers. No frozen pizza hits like Corbi's. That weird delicious perforated crust. The seasoned cheese. We just finished our last french bread minis box and it felt like the family lost a pet. Now I have to wait until my niece is raising money for another dance competition. Girl best get on the horse.

"...it felt like the family lost a pet."
by mkovac  (2022-08-08 12:56:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just love that.

You deliver the coolest lines.

Mike, I'm not sure what I've contributed around these parts
by potatohouse  (2022-08-08 13:47:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

amidst my inane rambling on snack foods, crocs, and sweats to earn your repeated kindness and kudos. But I hope you know it is immensely humbling each and every time. <3

You deliver a lot of smiles.
by mkovac  (2022-08-08 15:43:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have a unique outlook on life and human behavior.

Quite simply, many of us enjoy the heck out of your posts.

mk

only if its a buck or two.
by 84david  (2022-08-08 10:16:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Otherwise have a fresh one delivered.

The thin crust or the stuffed?
by ndroman21  (2022-08-08 10:11:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Gino's thin crust is disappointing, the stuffed is not terrible, but takes a long time to prepare.

Frozen is never going to be as good as fresh pizza, but my favorites are BrewPub Lozza Mozza and Home Run Inn Ultra Thin Crust.

I had the thin. Unbelievably bland. *
by volley  (2022-08-08 10:31:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic & Pesto pizza
by PamBeesly  (2022-08-08 10:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looks pretty sad when removed frozen from the box, but it is actually delish. Excellent for meatless Fridays.

Whatever my wife gets from Costco.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-08-08 10:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put it on a pizza stone in our over and it's perfectly serviceable.

The 2 we like from Costco
by Brandon  (2022-08-08 11:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Motor City Pizza Co - it's Detroit style so it's thicker/fluffier style than your standard frozen cardboard disc. We get the double pepperoni 2-pack but it's the best tasting frozen pizza I've personally had.

Interestingly enough, the Kirkland Brand cauliflower crust supreme (I know, I know) is another one we really like and eat fairly often.

The kids really only like plain Cheese but we find their options on that front to be mediocre. We thought the Kirkland Cheese 3-pack sucked which was surprising and there's a gluten free 4-cheese brand called Sabbatasso's that we tried and it has good flavor but the texture of the GF crust leaves a lot to be desired from our view.

Seconded on the Motor City Pizza. *
by Irishlala  (2022-08-08 11:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hot served pizza at Costco is really good, only $2 a slice *
by discNDav  (2022-08-08 10:14:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Costco has the best frozen gluten-free pizza I've added.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-08-08 12:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the plain cheese one, but the fancier one.

The $1.50 dog and a soda are amazing. *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-08-08 10:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I cant believe you eat there
by DBCooper  (2022-08-08 11:10:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not because the food sucks, I have no opinion, but the last thing I want to do after shopping at Costco is stick around for a quick bite. I want to get out of there as fast as I can, like I stole something.

It's good with 3 kids in tow
by TCIrish03  (2022-08-08 16:32:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

most of my summer Saturdays have consisted of:

-take kids to gym/pool in the morning. Drop them in learn & play while I workout, then take them to the pool for a couple hours while my wife gets a breather.
-Go to Sam's (the only Costco in town is 45 min away, while Sam's is 5 min, but same diff) for gas. Let them wash my windows.
-Shop at Sam's for food and booze for the evening's firepit. Usually it's a quick trip w/ only a few items.
-By now it's after lunchtime and the pizza slices are yuge, and the kids love it.

It's like 5 mins.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-08-08 13:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I'm fueling up for the rest of the trip, because Costco comes after dropping stuff off at the dump, but before I hit Home Depot.

Costco is fine, just gotta be the first one in, and skip breakfast so the hot dog is more enjoyable.

I fully agree
by nd06seattle09  (2022-08-08 11:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am a Costco shopper, but I do not like the person I become after finishing up there.

It is pretty streamlined. Adds maybe 5 mins to the trip
by TAR  (2022-08-08 11:16:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I grab it to go and eat it in the car on my drive home.

Why not just load up on the samples? *
by Marine Domer  (2022-08-08 11:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I generally don't partake in those
by TAR  (2022-08-08 12:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what really slows things down. I try to get in /out right at opening before they are sampling

It's a functional trip for me...not a daylong excursion

A taste sensation *
by ACross  (2022-08-08 11:07:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably too ethnic for you *
by ocnd  (2022-08-08 11:44:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Concur. *
by Manor76  (2022-08-08 10:57:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wegman's frozen thin crust ain't bad but I don't use the
by discNdav  (2022-08-08 09:57:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

oven during summer.

Yes - Mama Cozi Rising Crust from Aldi
by ndaero93  (2022-08-08 09:34:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About $4
They also have the thin crust like the old "Tombstone" for about $3.

You asked if they are worth the money - Yes. For that price they are worth the money for a cheap snack.

If you are looking for a replacement for a local pizza place, why spend that much on a frozen pizza. As others stated:
1. Ready to make kits from the grocery store
2. Grab a Pillsbury dough crust and some cheese and sauce and make your own with your desired toppings
3. Order a thin and crispy crust from one of the "bad" chains - Domino's, Papa John's, hell, even Little Caesar's has one
4. Pay up for a good pizza
5. And of course, there are always Totino's Pizza Rolls... 9 minutes on 450 degree oven and voila!

Funny you should post this
by elcortez01  (2022-08-08 11:10:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Until last Saturday I had never been in an Aldi's in my life. Dropped my son at a practice and noticed there was an Aldi's across the parking lot. As I had a list of a few things I needed, decided to pop in and check it out.

We were planning to order pizza that night for a small group, but I took a flyer and picked up a few of the giant Mama Cozi pizzas instead. Pretty impressed. For $7 or whatever they were, they weren't bad and toppings were way more generous than other frozen pizzas.

The consistently best pizza I've had...
by 105Marquette  (2022-08-08 09:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...store bought dough from Wegmans, Don Pepino sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil.

Rolling out the dough is a PITA, but it really is the best pizza out there.

Also at Aldi...
by John@Indy  (2022-08-08 09:50:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...their fresh deli pizzas, which cost between $6 and $8, are pretty good. They certainly aren't as good as what one would buy at a high quality pizza place but I would argue they are better than a standard pizza at the Papa John's/Domino's tier.

Agreed - surprisingly good *
by Brandon  (2022-08-08 11:08:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of grocery stores sell ready-to-make kits
by carroll2005  (2022-08-08 09:20:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The grocery near me sells on for 9 bucks with fresh dough and pre-portioned sauce, cheese, and pepperoni.

Takes 5 minutes to assemble. Far better than anything frozen

only frozen pizza Ive ever had
by DBCooper  (2022-08-08 09:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are bagel bites.

I understand for many in the country frozen pizza is a necessity, but the idea of buying pizza to store in the freezer to eat weeks later, makes me instantly nauseous. I know potatohouse loves his frozen pizza.

Has anyone ever had Table 87 frozen pizza? Its a pizza place right by where I live and their regular pizza is fine. I know they pushed their frozen variety on shark tank and I believe it sells nationally.

With 6 kids it’s a must for quick meals
by airborneirish  (2022-08-08 12:36:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We also serve Mac and cheese and other pre made junk. Home run inn is the same price As a gross fast food place like dominos but it can be ready in 20 minutes and I don’t get requests for other items like breadsticks.

Lent during height of COVID was when I did it.
by NDBass  (2022-08-08 09:29:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was shopping in bulk and I wanted a change-up from pasta or some sort of tuna dish. I bought a frozen cheese pizza. I can't remember the brand, but it did the job. I imagine the sodium content was not good for me.

Papa Murphys
by vermin05  (2022-08-08 08:57:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s not frozen, but it’s everywhere, costs about the same, and tastes much better.

Used to be one in Mishawaka
by pmoose  (2022-08-08 09:00:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not exactly sure if this is what happened, but from the outsider's perspective looking in, it seemed as if the owners of that store didn't want to pay the franchise fees and changed the store to a privately owned version of the same thing. They must've been caught a short time later if that's what happened, because they closed down probably less than a year from when they transitioned.

Don't understand why there isn't one in NoVA
by 105Marquette  (2022-08-08 09:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like it would do exceedingly well here with all the dual working parents who might need a quick dinner to pick up.

Why would you want to she'll put 7-9 bucks on a freezer pizz
by fontoknow  (2022-08-08 08:54:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole point of a frozen pizza is cheap and easy.

$7-9 is cheap and easy.
by squid  (2022-08-08 10:03:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my view… comparing that to delivery where it’s hard to get a pizza for under $20 after tax tip delivery fees. Pick up? You just lost the quick and easy part.

My advice is to buy the more/most expensive frozen pizzas.

This is why Jack’s is the correct answer. *
by The Holtz Room  (2022-08-08 09:39:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Home Run Inn. *
by Jess  (2022-08-08 08:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Red Baron
by HScorpio  (2022-08-08 08:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it’s better than brands that are twice as expensive.

Seconded *
by TheRC  (2022-08-08 09:56:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heggies is good if you like pub-style
by StetsonDan  (2022-08-08 08:41:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heggies is a good version of the pub-style pizza served by dive bars in the midwest (similar to a Chicago thin-style). I try to only pick it up on sale or at Costco, but it will still run about $9/pizza.

Ditto. Like Heggie's a lot. *
by PWK2  (2022-08-08 15:11:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amy's pizzas aren't terrible
by TMCT  (2022-08-08 08:35:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you can find the margherita at $7-8 it's not bad, I've been seeing them at $10 recently though. At $10 that $1.29 Totinos sounds more appealing.

Agree, these are decent but too expensive
by Brandon  (2022-08-08 11:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think I saw a plain cheese one for $10.99 at my local store today. They're not very big either so no way I'm paying that not much.