Trends in College Football.
by TWO (2019-12-04 16:56:48)

The Athletic (ie Pete Sampson) has a short blurb on this.

According to Pete they are

1. Athletic Dorms..non-starter at ND, but for some reason I thought the NCAA outlawed them a long time ago, schools must have come up with a work around like allowing regular students to have a couple of rooms in the Taj Mahal for Athletes.

2. Online Classes ..non-starter at ND. An increasing trend at most other schools, not just for athletes though.

3. Private Air Travel for Coaches while recruiting ...there was an article earlier this year about Clemson staff coming to ND back in March and the talk about how private jets allow them to be more effective recruiting. ND should go this route, esp considering our recruiting footprint.

4. Training Table/Nutrition. Most top programs now have a lot invested here, they have a special dining room attached to their training facilities. Irish have made strides here, but don't have a dining room attached to the Gug. How did the NChamps in 66, 73, 77, and 88 ever get by having to eat in the South Dining Hall!! Dedicated Dining facility attached to the Gug would seem to be not the Notre Dame way.

5. Sports Science/Recovery According to Pete the Irish are behind the top/elite programs in this area. We could invest more here without becoming less Notre Dame.

The '77 team did have a training table
by sprack  (2019-12-05 15:05:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was in the North Dining Hall. Can't speak for the other years.

Remember one thing though - the players weren't as big, not just in college, but the NFL. 300 pounders were rare in the League and just about non-existent in college.

My classmate and dormmate, the late, great Dave Huffman, was consensus All-America at center. Dave was a big guy, and his brother Tim (nicknamed "Tiny") was even bigger. Dave was 6'6", but his playing weight at ND was only about 265 (280 in the NFL). That was normal for an offensive lineman then, not just at ND, but everywhere.

I have a friend/acquaintance by the name of...
by Fresno Mike  (2019-12-05 18:08:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Pat Howell who was an AA offensive lineman at USC when Dave was at ND. They hit it off with each other and were both named to the Playboy AA team back then. They are right next to each other in the front row in the Playboy team photo. If you google it and look closely at it you can see that they exchanged helmets for the photo...the ND gold helmet in front of Pat and the USC helmet in front of Dave. Much mutual respect there between those two.

Dave was truly a great guy
by sprack  (2019-12-06 16:58:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friendly and kind to everyone, with a great sense of humor. Everyone liked him, and not just a little.

I'm sad every time I think about how he should still be here.

Image Linked
by Tiger Stadium  (2019-12-06 10:55:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It appears as the number #3 ranked photo shoot from Playboy.

Great photos. Proves we only read Playboy for the articles. *
by mkovac  (2019-12-06 21:37:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember Pat very well from those days. Haha.
by usmcirish  (2019-12-05 22:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Playboy too.

There's a whole lot of levels between a "Taj Mahal" athletic
by rick  (2019-12-05 14:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dorm and some of the places at ND. It's embarrassing how much nicer and better maintained my non-Domer kids' dorms are vs. where my ND daughter lived.
I think the online classes has to do with players who take nothing but online classes-Burrow from LSU said his classes are all online, and I think Manziel took nothing but online classes.

Hey jt, get a load of this
by ThreeD  (2019-12-05 13:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It IS 1988! You can even call recruits right from the SIDELINES!

What great reporting. Next year, we'll hear all about the independently operated athletics organizations (not departments) that privately fund football perqs and benefits---possibly even going so far as to secretly funnel cash to recruits!

Old Vinny C story about using satellite phone from the sidelines (Orange Bowl, I think) to call on a recruit to impress him. For those who don't get the reference.

Athlete-only dorms have been around forever.
by smithwick  (2019-12-05 12:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember reading my dad's old Chip Hilton books by Clair Bee from the 50s. One of the books had a subplot involving all the new football recruits being taken care of by the local boosters and being housed in palatial, athlete-only residences.

Not like what the top programs are doing today..
by TWO  (2019-12-05 12:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

look at my post down the board.

Greg Schiano was just granted use of a private jet
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-12-05 12:03:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure how he's gonna fly from Piscataway to Jersey City though.

Well, ND does have an expert on this
by irish2003  (2019-12-05 15:23:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree it should be a no-brainer for us especially as South Bend doesn't exactly have the flight options of an O'Hare, Hartsfield, or LAX, and were Swarbrick to seek advice, we thankfully have a fellow alumnus who is one of the world's best in the field (whom oh by the way donated a nice $100MM!)

I can't believe they didn't learn their lesson with him the
by NDMD89  (2019-12-05 12:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

first time.

Rutgers fans are like battered spouses
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-12-05 14:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who think "this time, he'll change."

Unfortunately, it is the taxpayers of NJ who will be the ones getting battered b/c RU football is a money loser.

The appropriate state for it.
by Wooderson  (2019-12-06 11:02:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aren't they STILL cutting things on the academic side to pay for the stadium reno?

NCAA athletic housing rules
by ND44  (2019-12-04 22:30:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"NCAA rules require that residence halls for student-athletes house at least 51 percent general population students and not offer "special treatment" to athletes"

Sampson's statement about allowing just a couple of rooms for regular students is wrong.

To be fair..
by TWO  (2019-12-05 10:08:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that is not a quote of what Pete said, it was my pondering (some what sarcastic) how schools can justify them.

Here is what Pete actually said.

For example, two trends in the last decade are athletic dorms and online classes. Notre Dame isn’t going to go down either of those paths, as the school believes they’re antithetical to the university.

Early 90s, there were a lot of football players off campus.
by domer4  (2019-12-05 10:18:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plenty were at Oak Hill (with Rudy doing their maintenance apparently).

. . . and I know several parents who have rented houses
by other_guy  (2019-12-06 14:39:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which became "homes" foe up to four or five football players each . . . all while maintaining a dorm "presence">

Athletic dorms have been around for decades, and of course
by VaDblDmr  (2019-12-04 21:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND never had them. So I was baffled by Sampson's inclusion of them as a "recent" issue.

The "Dorm" wars are more recent.
by TWO  (2019-12-05 10:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's an old article from 2013, quotes Clemson Co-OCoord (and top recruiter) Jeff Scott on the subject of athletes housing. They are building high end dorm/apartments for the athletes to live in and spending whatever it takes to impress the kids.

But Jeff Scott didn’t sit back and marvel. He restlessly wondered why the class was not better. He set about diagnosing exactly how and why it did not include Lawson and Adams, two sure-fire stud defensive linemen who strongly considered Clemson but went to The Plains at the last instant.

Lawson and Adams told Clemson’s coaching staff that Auburn’s superior housing for its athletes was a major factor in their choices. Auburn had bigger beds and allowed for two people in an on-campus apartment instead of the four that was the norm at Clemson. Auburn’s apartments had nicer furnishings, more bells and whistles.

So when the offensive coaches took a visit to Auburn not long thereafter for an X-and-O session with Gus Malzahn’s staff, Scott slipped out during a lunch break and went into stealth mode.

“Their new apartments for their players were right across from the football office,” Scott recalled Wednesday. “I snuck into one of them and asked a player if I could take some pictures of his room. He didn’t know who I was, but I’m in there taking pictures of his room.”

Scott, then the Tigers’ recruiting coordinator, returned to Clemson and immediately showed the pictures to Dabo Swinney. Then they showed them to Graham Neff, the chief financial officer for the athletics department. Neff then shared the images with Athletics Director Dan Radakovich.

Renovating the housing for football players can be tricky because of NCAA rules prohibiting athletics dorms. But Clemson’s administration quickly maneuvered through all the red tape, working in concert with the university’s department of housing to make upgrades to Lightsey Bridge Apartments that benefit not just football players, and not just athletes in general, but also regular students.

Two years later, the university is two phases and $2 million into a significant Lightsey Bridge renovation. And the Tigers’ coaching staff now has posh living quarters to show off to recruits when they visit.

“Now we’ve got better housing than just about everybody we’re competing against,” Scott said. “And that’s a great example, to me, of the commitment of our administration to be able to react quickly. At some places, they would say, ‘Oh yeah, that’s nice. I’m sure we can get that project done in five years.’ But Coach Swinney wanted to get it done. He met with them. And then within three weeks they had a plan in place

Actually, same as it ever was
by ThreeD  (2019-12-05 13:44:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The escalation continues onward, but this really isn't new or a recent trend.

Seems we need to tear down Alumni then.
by Wooderson  (2019-12-05 11:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Expand and upgrade Dillon on the vacant space.

If we want to suck *
by Pat85  (2019-12-05 12:20:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Penn State has had them for at least 25 years *
by Groundhog  (2019-12-05 00:55:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

30 plus. They were actually apartments right next to Holuba. *
by domer4  (2019-12-05 10:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IOW, the latest Brian Kelly list of complaints
by El Kabong  (2019-12-04 17:12:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see why online classes shouldn't be a non-starter at ND, plenty of schools have them. If I can take an online statistics class at my local community college, there is absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to do that at ND.

Apologies in advance in case my batteries aren't working...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-12-04 17:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Online stats class at Harper College, paying by the credit hour? Sure. Online class at ND, where we're paying $56K to get some good live education, interactions with classmates, etc.? Ixnay, I say.

To be clear, I don't object to online components of classes--just about everyone has them. You upload assignments to a portal, work collaboratively in group projects. etc.

EDIT:

I am now atop my soapbox to bemoan the inroads of online education. First, let me say it's a great invention--you can certainly learn a lot that way. But if you are learning a field that requires several years of study and that rewards eventual mastery, you're selling yourself short if you take online classes instead of live education. The additional educational benefits you derive from a classroom setting, particularly where there is an ample array of such benefits available at the institution in question, are not worth sacrificing in the name of convenience. Another benefit is the personal connections you can make, which can become valuable at any stage of one's subsequent career.

Now, if you need continuing education credits, it's okay, though I take the biannual ethics class live so we can bat around weird hypotheticals.

The value of the online class depends on the professor
by Kayo  (2019-12-06 12:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't specifically cover textbook material in the classroom. I cover the textbook topic with content of my choosing, sometimes covering the textbook content in a different way and sometimes supplementing the textbook content. I bring elements of more than 40 years of business world experience to the classroom including discussion cases I write based on events and situations that actually happened.

It took me a while to find ways to adapt my classroom approach to online courses, but I have done it. This is the difference between being an online class teacher and an online assignment grader. It's a lot of work, but feedback from students is positive. In many cases, they tell me they haven't received that much extra content and feedback in an online course.

An online course can be quite good, and the benefit is that it works well with personal schedules. I think taking one or two online courses makes a lot of sense for varsity athletes. They spend more than 20 hours a week on their sports, and that time is rigidly scheduled. Not being encumbered with an equally rigid class schedule when there is a good alternative will increase athletes' academic success rate.

I'd take your online course!...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-12-06 19:39:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I sort of feel like I have, though, after listening to S&J for some time.

How about a MS at a top 10-12 university?
by dfw  (2019-12-05 14:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My students pay 50-60k for that degree which is fully online. They mix and interact with students around the world and gain quite a bit from it. There are definitely subjects where online is not suitable, but the majority of college classes can be done just as well as in person.

Now I'll get off your lawn...

I don't dispute that you could learn anything well...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-12-05 15:26:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...via an online-only class--heck, Calc III, thermal physics, ancient Ugaritic--if you're motivated, there's a whole world out there to learn.

Our society is pretty well committed to credentialism. Want to be considered to teach at the U level? Doctorate, please. The MBA still carries heft in the business world. It's hard to have a line of business as an attorney without the JD. In the sphere of non-degree credentials, it's hard to make it as an accountant without the CPA, or (reflecting my own corner of the world) as a commercial r.e. appraiser without the MAI. CFA, CLU, CSBO--all achievable, I'd think, on line. Medical degrees, not so much--I hope!

I would admit that one could acquire every single one of those credentials entirely online, but I still think that on balance the experience, and the resulting person, will be somewhat poorer for missing the direct personal engagement of the classroom/lab/etc. (and I say this having had a few bad teachers). I suppose the online engagement with other students could ameliorate that to some extent.

I think you romanticize the classroom experience.
by dfw  (2019-12-06 10:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Classrooms, especially for large classes, really don't present much interaction and direct personal engagement now. Students come in wearing their AirPods or Beats, sit down, open their laptops or tablets and somewhat pay attention to the lecture. A few actually participate and then they all go on their way.

Sure, distance learning is a not a replacement for the full campus experience and it is not meant to, but for the transfer of knowledge it is not much different than the lecture hall and, if well designed and executed, can deliver better learning outcomes.

And, as a note, ND does offer online courses and complete online degrees.

ETA: the note at the end is more to the article's statement that online classes at ND are a no-go - that is just wrong

I agree with your characterization of the large classes...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-12-06 15:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...although even in that case I would think that social interactions can occur that build a sense of a network--our daughter who's in her last year at ND says that there's a student groupchat for every course and that this sometimes draws people to meet up before or after class to discuss stuff.

For a student, one thing of great value is the transfer of knowledge; another is the potential interactivity with fellow learners that can reinforce that knowledge transfer. The student must consider the relative cost, since online education tends to be less expensive than traditional classroom education. Another distinction can probably be made between undergraduates and graduate students, with the former less apt and the latter more apt to be able to extract the full benefits of distance education.

ND has had various online education offerings for some years, but my impression was that they were all summer courses. The only full program I'm aware of is in data science, unless they've added others.

I understand that online education is surging and will continue to do so; I hope that whatever elements of interactivity that can transfer from the classroom experience can be modeled into the new classes.

I took several challenging online courses at a large state U
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-12-05 12:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My ex received her Masters in Educational Leadership exclusively online and I recall the workload was heavy and demanding.

Like any class, you get out of it what you put into it.

Self-Pace Psych was a popular summer class for ND athletes
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-12-04 18:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and non-athletes over summer terms during my time in the late 1980s.

IIRC it lacked live education and interactions with classmates (I think you read the book yourself and went to a building to take quizzes on a computer, which could be re-taken until a passing grade was earned - but I may be way off on those details as I did not take the class myself - that’s just the way I recall the legend)

EDIT - looks like it is now called PSY 20001

PSY 20001 - Introductory Psychology, Personalized System of Instruction (PSI)
This course covers the same content as PSY 20001 but is taught using an individualized, self-paced method of instruction. This method is a variant of the Personalized System of Instruction (PSI) format and includes features such as self-paced learning, emphasis upon mastery of the written rather than the spoken word, frequent testing and an option to retake unsatisfactory quizzes.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours
0.000 Lab hours

best class ever. *
by MrE  (2019-12-05 08:36:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. *
by 11thfloorgrace  (2019-12-05 10:42:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My husband took that class his senior year.
by BottleofRed  (2019-12-05 08:00:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He finished all the requirements before Spring Break. The only negative was that he had to go to Haggar to take the tests.

But we don't teach underwater basketweaving.
by SWPaDem  (2019-12-04 22:27:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And try imagining doing that online.

"online classes" is a huge umbrella.
by Tex Francisco  (2019-12-04 17:30:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you talking about online classes offered by ND and taught by ND faculty only for ND students, or are you talking about getting credits for U. of Phoenix classes?

The former (edit)
by El Kabong  (2019-12-04 17:30:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit: But having said that, any credits that would transfer for a non-athlete student should transfer for an athlete as well.