Why would he leave a stable job for an unstable one?
by fontoknow (2018-01-10 14:32:21)

In reply to: Andy Heck would be a good replacement *  posted by ND Harvey

And it's very likely the Chiefs job pays more than ND's OL job.

Isn't Hiestand doing the same thing?
by Queensman  (2018-01-10 14:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nagy has never been a head coach at any level before and 10 years ago, he was an assistant coach at small high school in PA. Hell, he's only been a real coach in the NFL for 5-6 years. You could argue that Hiestand's job at ND is more stable than Kelly's. But the NFL money is hard to turn away.

Your second point is right on. He'd likely take a major pay cut to come to ND, have to add recruiting to his profile and have to deal with a different maturity level of player (and coach for that matter). Plus, he may get a promotion with the Chiefs with Nagy leaving. The flip side is the working hours in college are probably less than the NFL. Also, Reid's Marty Schottenheimer impersonation may grow thin in KC as well.

Overall, Heck is a longshot at best IMO.

You think?
by El Kabong  (2018-01-10 16:34:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nagy is at the beginning of a contract, and I imagine even if he doesn't improve things, he'll be given three years to show whether or not he can.

You think Brian Kelly's job is safe for three seasons?

"You think Brian Kelly's job is safe for three seasons?" All
by Rosecrea  (2018-01-11 08:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the evidence says yes, that it's impossible for him to get fired. He may want to leave at some point but, otherwise, what/how could he fuck up enough to get fired?

No such thing as a stable job in the NFL
by Queensman  (2018-01-10 17:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...unless of course your name is Belichick or Tomlin.

Trestman got 2 years with the Bears and he was much more experienced than Nagy. Granted Trestman was terrible, but he only got two. Fox got 3 years. They're now on their 3rd coach in 5 years. Nothing stable about that.

The Browns have gone through 5 coaches in 10 years, including a one and done in there. Jack Del Rio is one year removed from 12-4 and unemployed. Vance Joseph will be gone if he doesn't produce next year. I think Andy Reid's seat is going to get a little warm soon. That was one of the worst coached playoff games I've ever seen.

Is Kelly's job safe for 3 years? Who knows, HH wouldn't be fired as long as Kelly is there. If Kelly were fired, a replacement coach may even choose to keep him on. If stability is what he's looking for, the NFL and especially the Bears, ain't it.

I do believe he's probably getting his salary doubled which will compensate for a lack of stability. That and being able to coach more mature linemen for longer periods of time are the reasons I'd attribute to him bolting.

Eric Beinemny was promoted to OC in KC
by steelhop  (2018-01-10 15:34:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I doubt Heck is getting a promotion.

I'm sure Hiestand got a very sizable raise *
by fontoknow  (2018-01-10 15:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before a game, Andy Heck game over to me and
by Moff  (2018-01-10 14:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

asked me to punch another hole in his belt so he could make it tighter. The belt looked pretty beat up so I asked him if he would prefer a new one. He gave me a look and asked me again to punch a hole in his belt and I did so, quickly.

A very nice, smart, intense, quiet, no nonsense guy who would never take sh@t from anyone. For the sake of BK's health and safety, I would strongly recommend that he look elsewhere.

I believe he is an ND dad *
by rick  (2018-01-10 17:54:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you ever want your old job back...
by NJDoubleDomer  (2018-01-10 14:47:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...my South Bend niece is marrying ND's new equipment manager this May in Sacred Heart. I'll tell him no one does belts like you. Except if BK goes after you the way Lou did, I suspect you'd drop BK.

Excellent! So he is the preferred candidate that
by Moff  (2018-01-10 14:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

edged out John88 and me (had we applied). John has some experience managing valuable equipment.

If he has any issues with strawberry milkshakes, please tell him not to hesitate to call. In all seriousness, please pass along my best. I'm jealous. Well, except for the BK part.

Thx. He must be a great kid to tolerate my brother. *
by NJDoubleDomer  (2018-01-10 15:06:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there any truth to the rumor...
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-01-10 14:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his parents had to name him Heck instead of Hell otherwise be would have been completely unstoppable?

He was more stoppable as a TE than a T. That is to the
by Moff  (2018-01-10 14:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

extent anyone can prove we threw to the TE then.

He caught Rice's only TD pass in 1987. *
by KevinPS  (2018-01-10 15:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few reasons
by buffaloirish  (2018-01-10 14:37:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Institutional affinity for his alma mater.

Does he have college-age kids who might have a shot at ND admittance? The tuition benefit is substantial.

I'm pretty sure I saw his name on the list of alums
by rick  (2018-01-10 17:55:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with kids at ND during Welcome Weekend a couple of years ago.

He's got 4 kids
by HTownND  (2018-01-10 18:10:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jonathan played at UNC
Charlie still plays at UNC

I think one of his daughters may have been at ND already and the other is currently enrolled or something like that

Either way, I don't think the benefit of student tuition matters as I think all 4 kids are in or have graduated from college already.

Both his sons play for North Carolina
by irishrock  (2018-01-10 15:05:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of them went to Rockhurst and he was the thinnest 265lb OLineman I'eve ever seen. It helped that he was 6'7"

So you're saying someone that makes mid to high 6 figs
by fontoknow  (2018-01-10 14:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would be drawn to 50% off tuition at ND that vests after five years working at ND?

Institutional affinity wasn't strong enough for him to sign on with Weis, why would it be strong enough to sign on with purple reign?

The admission pool would seem at least as big of a deal. *
by tdiddy07  (2018-01-10 15:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After signing $2.7 million and $10 million contracts
by Moff  (2018-01-10 14:57:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over 20 years ago, and otherwise drawing an NFL paycheck for 26 years, and accruing pension and other benefits, I suspect that money is the least of his concerns. He is not one of those guys that would have blown the money. I'd roll the dice and trade 401k plans with him any day.

I'd assume this to be correct
by fontoknow  (2018-01-10 15:11:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coming to coach at ND for BK would have to be a really passion project for him, however.