Worst Down in Front Experience
by ndalum88 (2018-10-15 15:47:05)
Edited on 2018-10-15 15:48:13

With the change to the "lottery" format over the past two years, I've bought all home games and to keep the total price tag down have gone with upper end zone. Truth is, I always think higher is better so you get the "birdseye view". For Michigan and FSU this year I'm in the absolute last row, which I love - great view of campus during breaks and I can stand as much as I want, including on the bench to get an even better view. From now on, I'll go for the last row at EVERY opportunity. On Saturday, there were two guys sitting behind us that got freebies. They were pretty loud all game and not in a good way. The content was almost as bad as "If they kick a field goal here it's three points" (said in a "gee this is insightful" tone). Fast forward to Pitt's last possession. An undefeated record and a potential playoff spot on the line, the 'tron is blinking "ON YOUR FEET" and people are trying to make it as hard on the Pitt offense as possible - kind of your job if you have a ticket. At this point, one of the two guys behind me, bundled up in a blanket in the midst of a perfect, sunny October day in South Bend, taps me on the back and says "You know, I'd like to see the game too". The most polite thing I could think of was "then watching it on TV is probably a better option for both you and the team. Do that next time." Sad thing is I got the vibe that most of the section (101 - mostly faculty/staff) thought that I was, in fact, the bad guy here. And then I realize what today is the anniversary of and wonder how we got so far away from 1988......

At Army vs. ND in 1998
by USMA Irish  (2018-10-16 20:36:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was a junior at West Point at the time. Bob Davie let a mediocre Army team hang around until the bitter end. Us cadets were going crazy for 4 quarters over the very real possibility of an upset. Legitimately the two hundred of us were louder than the rest of the stadium (those Davie teams sure knew how to suck the last drop of soul from the fans). Suffice it to say that a couple of olds behind us weren’t having it and kept asking us all to sit down. To which we responded that they were free to stand as well.

I bought row 26 sec 134 for Michigan.
by domer4  (2018-10-15 21:00:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice view of the dome and TDJ during the TV breaks. Cannot beat that seat.

Stand on the bleacher the whole game and lean up against the brick wall.

That's the only seat I will ever buy again.

I'm about there for FSU
by ndalum88  (2018-10-16 13:32:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and was same deal, opposite endzone for Michigan. Agree completely. Will always look for last row

This reminds me of the time
by Catdog2  (2018-10-15 18:03:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an Usher reprimanded me during the Michigan game back in 12 for yelling "Michigan Sucks" after one of Denard's picks.

His words: "we don't use that language around here".

Almost spit out my drink cartoon style, but then decided to just get up and move to the student section.

Never sit in the faculty/staff section *
by sprack  (2018-10-15 16:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See, e.g., the jumbotron being too loud post below.
by Bombbomb  (2018-10-15 16:19:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honestly, it will take ND actually saying something to stop it. I always just don't give a damn what they say at this point. They don't like the experience, they don't have to come or they can spring for the box seats up top. Either way, not my fucking problem.

funny usher story along those lines...
by ndalum88  (2018-10-15 16:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2011 USC game - field seats right next to the USC band. Someone threw something harmless (maybe a marshmallow?) from up above and it hit a band member's hat. She called the usher over and told him what happened. He gave a catatonic stare and said in complete monotone "No. Please. Stop that.". Then he turned to the band member and said "That ought to take care of it". Moment of awesomeness.

So when did the down in front crowd become so
by TWO  (2018-10-15 16:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much of a problem. Been going to ND games since '86 and it seems like I don't remember much of that but then in the late 90's it seemed to become a problem that many people complained about.

Is it just that we have a forum to complain about them or did something change. FWIW Texas fans complain about similar problems with fans and feel like that is why DKR/Memorial Stadium is not an intimidating place to play like Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

I don't have 100s of games in the stadium like some of you
by wearendhockey  (2018-10-16 10:26:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it seems to me the line of demarcation came with the expansion of the stadium. The crowds seemed different before 1997 versus afterwards. Again, I have been to games there perhaps a dozen times before 1997 and maybe that many since (although none since 2006). I don't attribute the changes to years and years of mediocre football either. I noticed it the first time I was in the expanded stadium, which was 1998, when we all still believed.

When the team stopped being elite
by HTownND  (2018-10-15 16:09:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The irony of the get loud Michigan clip is that the people in the stadium that day (all 59k of them) were able to get loud all on their own, without prompting, without anything else.

People just understood how important that was to winning a title.

We've lost that, and I'm not sure it's coming back anytime soon.

I always check-in with the usher before I go to my seat.
by dillon301  (2018-10-15 15:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let them know you will be an excited and vocal supporter, but polite. And that you will leap to your feet in excitement on the key plays...

Then just tell the guy behind you that you will sit if he gets an usher who agrees with him.

There should be a section where they follow student section
by Carroll12  (2018-10-16 01:04:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rules

There was.
by rockbrig97  (2018-10-16 03:07:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was called Alumni Alley. It lasted maybe 2 years during Weis.

Alumni Alley was great
by ndalum88  (2018-10-16 13:34:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sat there every time for the two years they had it

I agree
by Cliff Claven  (2018-10-16 14:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alumni Alley was the best. Could say or do almost anything you wanted.
Cliffy

What are the odds of getting an usher that agrees
by jerseyirish07  (2018-10-15 16:02:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with him in that case?

Supposedly they were told this year to support standing. *
by beattherush  (2018-10-15 17:26:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ushers have been *phenomenal* this year.
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-10-15 17:16:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My brother’s tickets are on row 3, which are the closest to field level, so there’s always a lot of ushers milling around. They have been a lot different in tone lately, with one of them coming up and high fiving us after big plays, and he’ll even motion for people to stand and make noise on defense.

I've had good luck with this in the past
by elterrible  (2018-10-15 16:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the point that an usher moved me and my friend to the top of the student section to get away from the down-in-fronters.

The key is to not be an asshole (not saying OP was in this case)