Some notes after reading many practice reports
by SEE (2019-03-24 12:39:19)
Edited on 2019-03-24 13:33:12

There is NO QB controversy, I repeat NO QB controversy (everyone seems to say that.) Jurkovec is apparently oozing talent but is still inconsistent. He throws a great deep ball. I sense a little disappointment with Book.

WR has potential, but a ton of question marks. The good news is that Keys, Lenzy and Austin are starting to show their speed and talent. Lenzy and Keys are getting the most early plaudits for big play ability.

Tony Jones, Jafar Armstrong look good early. Jones is running tougher with lower pad level. Jahmir Smith isn’t flashy, but has quick feet (Me: Theo).

High hopes for Kmet.

Just a few practices, but the OL is set with Patterson at center. Lugg looks to be the 6th guy. No reason, sans coaching, they shouldn’t be great. Who are are the backup tackles? Banks subbed for Liam and Lugg moved to Banksy’s spot on Saturday. Lugg and Banks are huge, btw. No news in Kraemer, which I’ll take as a positive.

DT remains a worry. The interior has had a hard time holding up.

DE is as talented and deep as ND has had in years. The big surprise is Ovie at drop. Kelly compared him to a young Okwara.

Surprised to see the staff focusing on JOK and Paul Maola (sp?) at Rover. Both can rush the passer and drop in coverage, but are small.

That means ND will have a lot of bodies at Buck and Mike. Lamb, Genmark-Heath and Simon have the most potential, but they’re all Bucks. Who’s going to be the Mike? Im starting to think Simon might be the guy (guess). Based upon potential I say Lamb (buck), Simon (Mike) and JOK (Rover) could form an excellent corps down the road.

There’s only one secondary spot up for grabs and it looks like Griffith’s to lose. Bracy has played well but can get out muscled. Good news is that Davis has the athleticism for the spot but is green and getting beat.

Have you or any of your practice reporters actually seen...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-03-24 21:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any of the players you mention playing any real football so far this spring? Or is it all just based on shorts & t-shirts and half-speed drills in shells?

Kelly has never opened this many practices...
by BigNDfan  (2019-03-25 09:19:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the media. They've already seen 2 entire practices in full pads.

They're scheduled to see another 2 or 3 FULL practices in pads. They typically get one full practice and then the Blue and Gold game itself.

I bet the media has gotten to see a lot of pass plays.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-03-25 17:27:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the same time, I bet the run game's been safely tucked under the Veil of Secrecy. Wouldn't want to divulge too much information about all of our three running plays.

I guess if we really want to know how our run game is structured, we'll just have to refer to Clemson's spring practice videos. After all, they run the same offense we do, but Dabo's a hick and doesn't know enough to hide his cards.

May reflect his confidence in where his program is.
by tdiddy07  (2019-03-25 14:44:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But going by his track record, I’m not sure if that’s a good sign or not. He and Swarbrick felt great about where the program was heading into 2016. There was also a great feeling prior to 2013 before taking steps back in the next two years. And his confidence in his qb is inversely related to team success.

2016 sucked. A lot.
by athlete37  (2019-03-25 14:54:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That having been said, in fall camp he said there were a lot of concerns and it would show often.

The team had the talent to win 9 games at least by the way. I wouldn't say they were overly optimistic though

1963 was a bitch, too. *
by Rosecrea  (2019-03-26 10:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then the coach was canned. If only in 2017 too. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-03-26 12:17:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he was an interim coach anyway. But, really, aren't
by Rosecrea  (2019-03-26 16:36:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they all...

He was, but he was hoping to shed that label
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-03-26 18:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was never going to happen, but he hoped it would.

Starting off fall camp with 6 arrests certainly didn't help.
by smithwick  (2019-03-25 16:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couple that with Watkins getting shut down in fall camp, Crawford going down for the year in game 2, a mess at quarterback, poor defensive recruiting, and BVG and it's not a surprise that season spiraled.

Not a surprise the season spiraled?
by tdiddy07  (2019-03-25 16:19:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The next season the team went 10-3 and ran the ball down teams' throats. Other than BVG, the other points that you cite as contributing to the spiral were not particularly significant in light of the success of the 2016 team, which featured significantly worse quarterback play.

Kelly's mismanagement of the team in 2016 appears to be a far greater influence than the other cumulative factors, apart from BVG's presence. And even that only lasted half of the year. And the team still looked like shit even after he left when it got a defensive performance that wasn't much different than the performance in the full 2017 season.

That team was more talented than 11 teams on its schedule.
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-03-25 17:20:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That we lost 8 games that year is all on the coaches, and is easily the worst coaching job in major college football of the last 30 years.

I don't know about "worst over 30 years"
by jt  (2019-03-27 11:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in 2007 we lost to Navy, weren't competitive against Air Force, and had to squeak by a pretty bad Stanford team. Most of our games were just a comedy of errors and the team was unprepared to play. We had one system that was installed all summer long that was thrown out after a half of football, we had a defensive coordinator woefully unable to do his job, and we had a head coach that had no idea how to get the team ready for the season.

That is the worst coaching job I've ever seen in a major college program. 2016 was bad as well

I have to give a slight edge to 2016 being worse
by TCIrish03  (2019-03-27 14:16:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the 2007 team was almost devoid of upperclassemen thanks to Ty's complete lack of recruiting for 2 years. Kelly didn't have that built-in excuse (which I think was actually a legimitate reason, given how few players were signed).

On the other hand, I do believe that if Weis approached 2007 with Sharpley at starting QB with his base offense (whatever the hell it was) and just let the team take its lumps, we could have squeeked out with a couple more wins.

I'm going to say that both staffs likely cost their teams
by jt  (2019-03-27 14:28:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4 or so wins.

Brown was just so unprepared and incompetent, but at least he had the excuse of being new to the job. BVG is just awful.

Probably a push, but both jobs were awful.

They lost to some truly shitty teams that season
by Groundhog  (2019-03-26 23:28:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was more embarrassing than '07. At least that year the recruiting crater could be seen.

Hard to argue with that. I think any of the other teams from
by athlete37  (2019-03-25 18:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the last four years would have a good chance at going 12-0 against a schedule like that. Ironically, there were a good number of players on the 2016 team that were part of the other teams' success.

Thanks. I don't recall that.
by tdiddy07  (2019-03-25 15:25:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know Swarbrick waxed on about how great of a position the program was in. I certainly didn't pick up on it at the time if Kelly sounded less optimistic than usual.

Good point. From the video that's been shown here, I don't
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-25 07:38:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

know how you separate the boys from the men, unless maybe via the 'Wow! Factor'.

Anybody got whoosh? *
by Irishrock  (2019-03-25 14:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't he transfer to Missouri? Now coaching at Missouri St. *
by Hati Hijau  (2019-03-25 19:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The offense is limited with Book at QB
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-03-24 15:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(and even more with Kelly as HC)

Yes--Book was an upgrade from Wimbush, but the offense didn't exactly light it up with him at QB. And he had a very bad game when it counted the most.

Reports are that Book looks good this Spring except that he still can't pass it deep worth a shit. That is ok, except when you play a really good and talented team(Clemson).

Book is basically Tommy Rees with better wheels and a slightly better arm.
In order to take advantage of the speed of the Soph WR's and beat elite teams--this offense is going to eventually need Jurkovec at QB. It is up to the ND coaches to have him ready.

Why do you believe that Kelly won't pollute Jurkovec?
by ACross  (2019-03-24 19:08:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The reality is that Kelly's offense is custom built to cause any QB to fail miserably and crater his career.

I do believe Kelly would pollute Jurkovec
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-03-25 09:16:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I said in my first sentence that Kelly is the bigger problem.

It probably doesn't matter who plays QB with Kelly as HC--but I was just stating that I don't think Book has skill set needed to lead ND to a playoff win or more.

If you look at the 4 teams in the playoffs last year--the other 3 had superior QB's(and Coaches). I don't think Saban,Swiney or Riley would recruit or even play a QB like Book who could not threaten the back end of a defense.
It is a shame that ND will waste some fine Sophomore speed at WR because the QB can't get the ball downfield. Last year, I think ND had only 1 pass play of over 50 yards. No matter how much Book practices the deep ball--he will never be a real threat with it.

Book is a better version of Rees but really quite similar..
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-25 09:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is quicker but no home run ball. I was disappointed in his
performance against Clemson and USC.

We need to let Kelly 2.0 play out.
by irishintheville  (2019-03-25 07:20:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fr. John said BK has corrected his mistakes and Savvy knows more than the rest of us.

This is probably the correct answer
by 84david  (2019-03-24 22:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Book will never be great against elite teams.

Nor will anybody else under Kelly.

We might as well root for Ian to be as
good as he can.

Its not the offense, the national champions run the same
by SEE  (2019-03-24 20:08:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

offense.

My take is that he expects too much out of his QB in the offense in a college system that only allows for 20 hrs per week of practice.

Does Clemson get 100 hours per week? *
by El Kabong  (2019-03-25 01:09:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, which is the point.
by SEE  (2019-03-25 05:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dabo does appear to ask his QBs to do too much within the offense. That of course is dependent on how well he coaches the QBs to start with.

Then it's not the same offense *
by El Kabong  (2019-03-25 07:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s the same offense. Two teams can run the same
by SEE  (2019-03-25 08:28:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Offense with different emphasis, gameplans.

By your definition, no two offenses are the same - Clemson “changed offenses” from year to year (Even though they ran the same offense). Continuing, if you use your definition then no team would run the same offense week to week.

Good holy grief *
by Jvan  (2019-03-26 22:49:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When the 'emphasis' is more than game-to-game...
by El Kabong  (2019-03-25 10:08:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...then it isn't the same offense.

If it were the same offense, then Swinney, overall, would put as much responsibility on his QB that Kelly does. He does not, so it is not.

I think you need to define your definition of offense. Base
by SEE  (2019-03-25 12:30:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

scheme is how it’s usually defined. We have the same base scheme as Clemson.

All enlightenment starts with a definition of terms.

Do you mean that both teams utilize the shotgun?
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-03-25 14:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What makes you think that they have the same base offense besides that both teams run most of their plays with the QB in shotgun?

How do you define the "base scheme" in question? *
by El Kabong  (2019-03-25 13:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I must be misunderstanding you.
by harmonica  (2019-03-25 12:55:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is your position that all spread offenses are the same?

what a load of utter crap *
by ACross  (2019-03-25 12:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are good, you *
by SEE  (2019-03-25 12:54:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's offense is a unique, mutant, ugly beast
by ACross  (2019-03-25 08:59:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His system's design and approach is not the same as any other design and approach

Can you eschew the Trumpian ine-liners and tell us how
by SEE  (2019-03-25 12:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Specifically?

This will be like Donald explaining the circles of healthcare.

We need more fullbacks and student body right.
by smithwick  (2019-03-25 14:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How cool was it when Shaw got stuffed for the 100th time in a row on 4th and 1 but used 7 offensive lineman? His offense ranked 123rd in the country, but his kids play tough, power football like we used to under Holtz.

Or that time Harbaugh lined up in a 10-man I-formation? Manball. BK could take a page out of Jim's book, right?

Great point, smithwick!
by ACross  (2019-03-25 14:23:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The two of you together - a real brain trust. 10 total watts.

So Trumpian, its scary. I await a little marco reference *
by SEE  (2019-03-25 17:51:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha you're such a dork. *
by smithwick  (2019-03-25 14:24:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whereas you hip hop dance at the Linebacker *
by ACross  (2019-03-25 16:43:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a matter of developed record discussed for about 9 year
by ACross  (2019-03-25 13:56:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can make believe the discussions never happened, or that the games and seasons were never played, or watched, or dissected, and that the aroma has wafted away. We know the differences between the offenses.

Thats actually a worse answer than the circles. Embarrassing
by SEE  (2019-03-25 22:49:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Begging of the question. Whom does this work on?

Across has been right about Kelly's offense from Day 1.
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-03-25 13:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whereas you have been wildly inconsistent, and claiming you're right while simultaneously changing your mind on everything. I'd understand if you had a jt level of knowledge of the game, but you are wrong about nearly everything when you make predictions.

That swings both ways. People also said we would be lucky
by athlete37  (2019-03-25 19:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to win 8 games the last two years

And those people would be right *
by TAR  (2019-03-26 08:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good grief *
by athlete37  (2019-03-26 18:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson has 5-star players. Notre Dame doesn't. *
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-25 08:36:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The frosh WR that killed us (and 'Bama) was a 4*. *
by ndroman21  (2019-03-25 08:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A 5* is defined as someone ready to play and star as a
by 84david  (2019-03-26 15:05:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

freshman.

He's a 5-star.

Several Clemson offensive players are 5-star... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-25 09:38:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lawrence, most notably.
by ndroman21  (2019-03-25 13:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm just saying that 4-stars can perform too if they're coached well.

I would love a couple of Top 50 backs/wideouts.....
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-25 17:46:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That seems out of our reach with The 3-Star General.

And a 5-star coach. *
by SorinBasement  (2019-03-25 08:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He focuses very little on the running game and it shows
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-03-24 20:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson can get 2 yards on the ground when it needs to, we can’t and have rarely ever been able to under Kelly’s stewardship.

So, you might be right that Clemson runs the same offense, but somehow they get the running game going just fine, and we struggle annually do the same.

Jurkovec is an athlete extraordinaire.
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-24 20:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You'd think that would count for something, but I guess he needs a couple more years in the system or something.

not nearly as accurate on the shorter passes *
by DavidAddison  (2019-03-25 16:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He should be good his first year
by DBCooper  (2019-03-24 20:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly QBs only get worse the longer they are in the system

System uber talent
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-24 19:27:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It didn't work out so well for Germany either.

We're a long way from Kelly's Plug&Play QB offense at Cinci.
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-24 17:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you, but that's not how Kelly plays it here at ND.

Remember, Jurkovec only saw very brief mop-up action in two games in a year when he could have played in four with no eligibility penalty. We have a doofus running the show.

Paul Moala is the correct spelling. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-03-24 13:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the update. *
by gradyfan  (2019-03-24 13:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post