Every sport team, league, professional, amateur, college has their rules
on hiring.

...If ND was going to hire a head coach for one of their teams. Do they
have to open it up or can they just go to that perspective coach. Say,
the job is yours. Do you want it?

Just curious..Thanks

SEG/Chief

Not 100% sure
by okerland  (2019-05-08 14:13:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but ND may not have to post their job because they are a private school.

A public school like Michigan has to post the job and keep it open for 30 days per state law. This is the reason why outlets will get access to all the job applicants after a search. They use the Freedom of Information Act.

Great Info Did Not Know There Was Difference
by hempfield75  (2019-05-09 09:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

between hiring public and private. Not like the info you provided. Thanks.

SEG/Chief

Smarter than I.
by PWK2  (2019-05-07 12:11:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry. I just needed a laugh.

That is Okay I Was Put on this Planet for Everyones
by hempfield75  (2019-05-07 13:28:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

entertainment.

SEG/Chief

You weren't wrong. Both are correct. (link)
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-05-07 17:31:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well that's a pretty cool website. Settle plenty bets there. *
by Jon  (2019-05-09 14:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First word in explanation ("This") is undefined antecedent.
by T-Bone  (2019-05-08 10:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How gauche!

More like...
by DavidAddison  (2019-05-08 00:15:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One is correct but the other is also commonly used. That’s basically what your link says.

Read it again. Both are acceptable. There's a shift
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-05-08 08:13:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the way that the folks that decide these things interpret language. I used to hang out with a professor who wrote the book on the topic. What is in the article reflects what he told me. Just one excerpt from the article, of several, make it clear . . .

"Your friend is merely repeating what the 18th- and 19th-century prescriptive grammarians of the Lowth school laid down as the rules of grammar: that is, rules that told others to speak and write as they (the prescriptivists) thought they should. We ignore those guys now. They lied."

Agree to disagree *
by DavidAddison  (2019-05-08 22:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You Do Know that English Grammar Was My Most Hated
by hempfield75  (2019-05-07 21:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

subject in high school. I would rather wrestle an alligator than tackle
grammer.

SEG/Chief

Awesome! Congrats and Go Irish!
by drmurray  (2019-05-08 16:09:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My French canadian grammer was a tough battleaxe

I put the Guy Who Invented Grammer in the Same
by hempfield75  (2019-05-09 09:38:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

boat with the guy who invented the tie and weight machine. Then put a hole
in the boat. Grammar stinks in all languages. Even my German Grammar made
fun of me.

SEG/Chief

I also laughed. *
by BacTien  (2019-05-07 13:21:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is Okay Me Too *
by hempfield75  (2019-05-07 13:20:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately you're smarter than the guy doing
by SixShutouts66  (2019-05-07 10:41:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND hiring. You may be thinking of the Rooney Rule in the NFL which requires interviews of minority candidates - even if the heir apparent has been identified. Most head coach hiring in the colleges seems to be done sub rosa - the school talking to coaches' agents to determine if there is interest and then confidential discussions. Generally the school and oftentimes the prospective coach don't want their "dating" to be in the public eye.

A successful coach can often influence the choice of their successor (see Men's soccer). However, ND seemingly ignored that in choice s of successors to Leahy, Parseghian, and possibly Holtz.

Rooney Rule
by hempfield75  (2019-05-07 13:26:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you are right about that. I may have been thinking of that. Your
other points make a lot of sense. You seem to hear very little about the
hiring process in college. Thanks for the info.

SEG/Chief