Ok...i thought the car mechanic was joking....rodent damage?
by fourputtmd (2024-04-25 16:40:14)

Had to look it up....told me a rodent had been at the wires in my consule for at least 2 weeks.....cut through about 5 lines.

Basically saturday morning 8 alert lights went on. Car still ran fine

I think my insurance will cover it

Do i need to get an exterminator for the house. Haven't noticed any vermin except for the occasional possum. Car is parked in carport

They also love certain clear plastics
by Irish_Texan  (2024-04-26 13:12:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a wood rat chew through the brake fluid and washer fluid reservoirs on my VW several years back

A squirrel got my mom's fuel line last year.
by jimmypop  (2024-04-26 11:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She left work. 10 miles later out of gas on the side of the highway. Damn varmints.

A møøse once bit my sister. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-26 12:15:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was delicious. *
by Moose84  (2024-04-26 12:37:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now that's just superfluous *
by El Kabong  (2024-04-26 14:26:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s covered under comprehensive. I changed my comprehensive
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-26 11:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

deductible to $0 for this reason. We’ve had this happen a number of times.

Bounce dryer sheets
by PWK2  (2024-04-26 09:46:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was the cure suggested by the guy that did my low-voltage patio lights.

What is the make of your car?
by Shoes  (2024-04-25 23:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rodents love to eat through the soy based insulation on the wires in Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

yep toyota 4runner *
by fourputtmd  (2024-04-26 12:39:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many years sgo on a cold winter morning a coworker/neighbor
by so-it-goes  (2024-04-25 22:17:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

went out to start his Fiat. Turned the key and a horrific screeching noise came from the engine compartment. He got out and opened the hood. Poor kitty…!!!!!!

Get "Tin cat" live mouse traps and put them along the walls.
by Jeash  (2024-04-25 20:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those catch a lot of mice. Some brilliant individual thought it was a good idea to make the plat i coating on wiring, out of soybean and peanut oil which helps attract rodent damage.

How do you dispose of the mice? *
by arch_moore  (2024-04-26 04:05:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stuck with a live trap, I then drowned a few in the sink.
by squid  (2024-04-26 11:03:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I put the whole stupid metal cage in the sink, weighed it down and flooded it.

As a teenager I caught a mouse in a bucket and best option we came up with was to move it to a bag, place it under a car tire and run it over.

I’ve done this as well
by irishguard78  (2024-04-26 10:51:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

using the sticky feet traps. I slide a shovel underneath the pad and take it down to the field across from the driveway. Usually a hawk, owl or crow will find it. Circle of life.

I’ve heard that’s much too close. *
by squid  (2024-04-26 11:01:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They also like to chew through garage door opener wires,
by irishguard78  (2024-04-25 18:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Air conditioner wiring and low voltage light wiring (So do squirrels). And sometimes those bastards like to make a nest in my grill. It’s why I dispatch of any squirrel or mouse I see. And I disagree that the peppermint spray helps. Mice would regularly nest in my Door County grill. Poison is the way to go. I put it in those little black containers around my garage and outside the house. Nothing a mouse carries around is good for you.

got the big guns coming in saturday *
by fourputtmd  (2024-04-25 19:30:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to park in a standalone garage
by GU82ND4ever  (2024-04-25 18:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was a house rental about 20 years ago. I went in one day to start my car and heard a horrible racket when I started the fan. It turned out squirrels had been storing acorns in my car. Luckily, none of the wires in my car had been chewed. My mechanic told me he once found a squirrel nest with babies in the engine block of a pickup truck that hadn’t been driven in a while..

Squirrels nest in a 4Runner
by Remember_Its_Denver  (2024-04-25 18:30:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unbeknownst to me, a squirrel had built a nest in the engine compartment of my 4Runner when I was a graduate student. I learned about that when smoke started coming out of my engine at 70 MPH on the highway. Also, my brakes were not working. I pulled over and popped the hood to find a raging fire in the engine. A kind trucker ran across the highway and put out the fire with his extinguisher. Damn squirrel!

Had it happen a couple of times.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-04-25 18:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See if they've nested in your engine block, or elsewhere. No doubt you'll find rat turds somewhere in or around the vehicle.

Look for available food sources that might keep them in the area, and eliminate them. We had pineapple guava trees in our backyard, for example. We also had our pest control company put in a bait box to control them.

It’s a thing. It’s irritating. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-25 17:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Peppermint spray *
by DBCooper  (2024-04-25 17:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Set Irish Spring soap on the top of your tires. *
by ksqdomer  (2024-04-25 16:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm afraid i would run over lots of soap over the month
by fourputtmd  (2024-04-25 16:46:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but hmm....i read of moth balls/dryer sheats...some sort of mint spray too