The pretense is gone, and with it ...
by CJC (2018-09-21 14:05:18)
Edited on 2018-09-21 14:14:35

my hope and anything beyond a modicum of emotional investment.

In the post-Holtz odyssey through the desert, we've always been able to rationalize the current status quo.

The coach hasn't been there long enough, he needs to get his guys in or his system in or ride out this terrible bout of injuries or bad luck.

It's all been bullshit, and most of us figured out pretty early on that neither Davie nor Willingham nor Weis nor Kelly would be able to live up to the legacy of Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Holtz or even Devine.

But until recently, Notre Dame's powers-that-be could always pretend that we were serious about finding that next great coach and that greatness was as "simple" as finding that guy.

We might have to wait another year or two in order to give the current incumbent a fair chance, or to find somebody to underwrite his buyout, or whatever, but that's absolutely the plan ... we promise!

But no longer.

It's not a matter of understanding that after eight-plus seasons, Brian Kelly isn't going to miraculously transform from an overmatched commuter-school head coach into a true Notre Dame head coach. That's beyond question.

But by doing absolutely nothing after eight-plus seasons of on-field incompetence and off-field embarrassments, Notre Dame's leadership has made it abundantly clear that it no longer feels the need to pretend.

The ultimate, "Get used to it."

Which, of course, is "press conference" for "FUCK YOU!"

You seem fun. *
by celtic745  (2018-09-22 15:44:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The war is over. The admin won.
by Freight Train  (2018-09-21 20:15:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other than this board, I don’t know any fans pissed off about ND football. Grads I know from the 70s all the way to today think 3-0 is fantastic, that Kelly’s career has been perfectly acceptable because we can’t do any better than 8 wins per year with the occasional 10 win season and minor bowl win. Seriously, it’s over. Every fan I know thinks I’m crazy for thinking Kelly is not good enough. He’s absolutely good enough for the admin and the vast majority of the fan base. We lost.

The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs
by cmhirish  (2018-09-22 11:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is to be ruled by evil men.

No, I'm not speaking of true evil here. Certainly not in the sense of countries going to war or genocide or anything of the sort.

But there is a modicum of evil in unrealized potential, in failing to strive for excellence, in being satisfied with being in the conversation. Everyone is in the conversation at one point or another. There is no need to emulate everyone else.

ND was, can be, and should again be different. Academic excellence and athletic achievement need not be mutually exclusive. The ideals are worth fighting for. There is no academic virtue in playing mediocre football and no academic vice in winning a game that by all odds one should lose...

My point is to object to resignation.
You're not crazy. Comfort is a key ingredient to making the prisoner crave the prison. Don't donate, or don't buy tickets, or if nothing else - don't stop talking about it. Don't be silent.
The admin did not win. The admin is wrong.

Agree. This has been a long time coming.
by Brahms  (2018-09-22 11:22:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kudos to those who called this early during Monk's tenure.

By the time Monk was on the air expressing his embarrassment at being a Domer, and White were on the air apologizing for our hiring decisions the trend should have been more than palpable.

Place on top of this all of ND's buffoonery with regard to Saban, Coughlin, Meyer, Swarbrick's arrogance of "...showing the world how to conduct a coaching search...", and our ADs involvement (and failures) in recruiting assistants for Davie, Weis, Kelly.

How anyone can put a positive spin on the program at this point is beyond me. "We do it the right way!". Uh, no. No we don't. Not any more. We let our players down with regard to coaching, throwing our guys under the bus, poor team / disciplinary culture, hell even putting PrayerCams in the locker room. And on and on.

We don't "do it the right way"; we do it the mediocre way.

And we've been mediocre for a long time. Only our branding keeps us relevant. But our brand equity will decline once "the market" realizes that we don't stand for anything but a label. And I don't think it really reflects on the academic side of the school either. The program in fact becomes more of a distraction.

Sadly agree,but as long as good people are willing to fight. *
by Irish2003  (2018-09-22 05:50:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In other words: The bums lost, Mr. Lebowski *
by mr.natural  (2018-09-21 22:45:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of people aren’t football smart enough to see through
by dwjm3  (2018-09-21 21:37:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the flaws of this 3-0 start. That isn’t uncommon for fanbases everywhere.

Jenkins is just a perfumed up extension of Monk Malloy
by NDRich  (2018-09-21 19:16:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His biggest accomplishment in the ND athletic program is a fluffed up stadium , ugly Jumbotron and a Flannel and Fizz game day experience.

Oh I almost forgot 21 wins erased and a first to fourth in the all time winning percentage. That is enough for terminating the whole rotting regime right there.

But that arrogant and clueless Shanty polluting the ND sideline can keep those wins on his record. He is the worst coach in ND history. Not on his below average football acumen but being the worst representative for ND of the whole lot. He has absolute zero affinity for ND and that should sicken all alumni and true fans.

Savvy you are a traitor of the worst kind. What kind of alum are you? A self serving bastard.

Ding! We have a winner!
by skeptic  (2018-09-21 21:36:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK is the worst head FB coach in ND history only in small part because of his incompetence.

He's not even the worst since I arrived on campus in 2007 *
by shea  (2018-09-22 15:56:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amen brother. *
by irishintheville  (2018-09-21 20:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're 3-0 and I am indifferent. I hate this. *
by geoffgeoffers  (2018-09-21 17:06:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a certain hall-of-fame coach might say ...
by CJC  (2018-09-21 19:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"We're living a lie!"

B/c you know it won't last and b/c you know that AL would...
by Scoop80  (2018-09-21 17:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

curb stomp ND on a neutral field this time worse than it curb stomped ND on a neutral field last time. Irish are currently #26 in Sagarin, and that's an eminently fair ranking.

I think 26 is generous. *
by skeptic  (2018-09-21 21:37:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Worst of all, Jenkins already told you this IS great *
by The Flash  (2018-09-21 16:34:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dear God. We're not looking at 40 years are we?!? *
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-09-21 15:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our next head football coach will have a first name of
by irishintheville  (2018-09-21 15:37:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moses, Jonah or Ezekiel.

More likely Aiden, Caden, Jaedan, Liam, Mason, or Jackson. *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2018-09-21 15:55:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Philip John. *
by Rocket7  (2018-09-21 19:31:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dakota or Lakota *
by cujays96  (2018-09-21 18:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moe, Curly, Larry or Shemp. *
by CJC  (2018-09-21 17:35:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm guessing Kaitlin *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-09-21 16:29:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You spelled Jaxon wrong. Get it together! *
by gordonbombay  (2018-09-21 16:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or Brett. *
by shillelagh  (2018-09-21 16:24:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just had a 'Nam like flashback to toddler birthday parties *
by ShillelaghHugger  (2018-09-21 16:22:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at a party once
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-09-21 16:34:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where two Jacksons got into a fight. They were probably each 5 years old, so no knife play.

HOT JACKSON-ON-JACKSON ACTION!

You are Keerect
by Willylumplump  (2018-09-21 15:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep, I know I got that subtle message. Now just cry in my beer.

Correct... and i believe JMI contract prevents action
by southshoredawg  (2018-09-21 15:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

JMI and Legends(Jerry Jones marketing) now own Notre Dame Inc. These contracts are for guarenteed revenue plus some upside revenue share. My bet is that there are clauses in there like "material disruption" that would degrade ND's payout should they lean toward change. Its one more layer of inertia. The deal is new.. they have to see how far they can push the revenue side.

We have fully given over our brand to outsiders.

If I may ask what prompted this
by MAS  (2018-09-21 14:40:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not like much changed in the last 24 hours

Of course you may ...
by CJC  (2018-09-21 14:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I don't know that it matters much, or that I even know myself.

I'd probably start with how ludicrous it is for a head coach who has been doing this for eleventy-seven years to once again fail to identify his best starting quarterback over the course of the off-season, despite having seen both of the leading candidates in actual games as well as the spring and pre-season workouts.

(And, of course, Kelly's decision to start Book tomorrow after starting Wimbush for the first three games of the season means that he didn't get the decision right regardless of whether one believes that Wimbush or Book is Notre Dame's best starting quarterback.)

But that obviously is but the tip of the iceberg, the straw that broke the camel's back (which certainly was already broken, if you're talking about me and my view of Kelly, Swarbrick and Notre Dame).

I'm the frog in the pot of water that suddenly realized it's been boiling for quite a while now.

In light of the chronic and seemingly perpetual and permanent state of Notre Dame football ("permanent" due to the indifference of the powers-that-be), do I really need a reason?

Understood
by MAS  (2018-09-21 14:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No. You really don’t need a reason. It makes total sense. just was wondering if something particular was glaring that I missed beyond the last 30 years decline. Appreciate your thoughts.

The apparent need for a quarterback change
by Bruno95  (2018-09-21 15:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

heading into the Wake Forest game, is cause for particular concern.

As is the predominance of system over talent reflected in the change. Wimbush has a better arm, is faster, is more elusive, and is stronger than Book. He makes plays that would end in sacks with just about anyone else back there. He would be a star under anyone from Chris Petersen to Urban Meyer to Dana Fucking Holgersen, but he doesn't fit the offense. That's of particular concern.

As is the fact that he's the latest in a scrapheap of scapegoat quarterbacks so big it qualifies for Superfund treatment.

As is the inability to develop a kid of Brandon Wimbush's intelligence and physical talent into a quarterback the coaches fully trust.

As is starting him for three games, calling five straight shitty halves of football, then implying Wimbush is to blame, using a dogshit hack of a reporter to lay the ground for the change then sell it to hapless fans, while you hide behind cagey answers to the press, lest Wake Forest figure out the secret. Not Georgia -- Wake Forest. That's of concern.

As is hiring your friend the analyst as the offensive line coach, then doing nothing while Ball State and Vanderbilt outcoached him and you, then implying Wimbush is to blame.

So many moments have crystallized what a toilet beaver this entire coaching regime is. This episode certainly qualifies as one such moment. We all have our own tipping points.

How different is Wimbush from Zaire?
by NDPittsburgh  (2018-09-21 17:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not defending Kelly or attacking Wimbush but I think he is similar in skill to Zaire. Transferring to a non-kelly coached team didn't make him any better. I don't think Wimbush would be great under Urban or anyone else. He is an athlete for sure but not a great QB.

Wimbush is a very talented QB
by HTownND  (2018-09-21 17:52:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy fucking shit, I can't believe we're having this conversation.

Wimbush can make plenty of throws. A good coach would focus on those throws.

Ours keeps calling the ones that he's not good at, hoping it will work, because one time at GVSU it did actually work, and we really need to get Chris Finke doing his thing in the flat.

Being a QB Isn't just about being able to throw
by NDPittsburgh  (2018-09-21 20:24:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

QB is about quick decisions, reading defenses, setting up DBs, feeling pressure (which Wimbush excels at). Joe Flacco has a better arm and can make better throws than Dan Marino or Joe Montana but I wouldn't pick him ahead of them. I'm not saying Book is the answer. I'm just saying I'm not convinced Wimbush would excel anywhere else either.

But there’s more to consider.
by sawingbatr  (2018-09-22 11:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One thing not being taken into account in your analysis of whether Wimbush is the QB we thought we were getting when he chose ND is his lack of development. I agree if he changed teams at this point he would automatically be transformed into a Heisman candidate. However I believe a case could be made that not only has he not progressed as a player but he looks worse than he did when we all first saw him. BK is making him worse. It’s nit just the play calling that is abhorrent, it’s that we get players that would be stars playing elsewhere, but our beloved coach takes diamonds in the rough and turns then into turds.

I’ll never get the Book INT against Miami out of my head
by HTownND  (2018-09-22 06:26:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s the first thing I think about when people tell me that Book is a better decision maker.

He’s absolutely not. That was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen a ND QB make. Definitely the worst since Dillingham served that one up to BC in the lime jersey game.

Faster and better arm.
by Bruno95  (2018-09-21 17:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Similar in that both had plenty of options for college and neither one got any better under Kelly.

My last name is Bruno too so not picking a fight
by NDPittsburgh  (2018-09-21 20:38:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With someone who may be blood... But, my point is that Golson, Hendrix, Zaire and Kiel did no better on other teams than they did under Kelly. I think it's fair to say Kelly hasn't recruited great QBs but I actually think that Golson and Zaire both looked better under Kelly than they looked at the school they transferred to. I think we'd see similar with Wimbush. He seems like a great kid and is a great athlete but I don't think he's a great qb being held back by Kelly. All that said, I'm not sure I understand the move to Book at this time either.

Fair point.
by Bruno95  (2018-09-22 05:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though Kiel was good on arrival at Cincinnati then was hurt too much. Zaire and Golson could fairly be blamed on development by the ND staff. And Wimbush is his own case. I do think he has the raw ability and instincts to succeed, and I don’t know why his coaches can’t seem to teach him to do what they say they want. I’m also not sure why they’re not using him differently.

That’s my bigger issue with this — they have a weapon and they’re not using him to do what he does best. He’s not an RPO QB. He’s a running threat with downfield capability. His first pass overshot Will Fuller. I didn’t think that was possible. His first big play was a 59 yard run. I think he’s a more gifted passer and runner than Book, but this isn’t about denigrating Book. I’m more upset that the coaches couldn’t either tailor an offensive attack that utilized Wimbush’s substantial skills or shore up the gaps in Wimbush’s game. I believe they failed him, and not the other way around.

I felt the same way
by NDPittsburgh  (2018-09-22 10:06:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About Ron Powlus. Yet, whether Europe football, NFL, college senior bowl type games, he never got any better

Bruno's handle is the name of a South Bend pizza
by Moff  (2018-09-21 21:53:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

restaurant, so I'd cancel the DNA test.

Funny.. Thx *
by NDPittsburgh  (2018-09-22 08:11:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bravo. But can you explain,
by ocmj  (2018-09-21 17:04:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what the heck is a toilet beaver?

You dont want one gnawing on your timber *
by MDDomer  (2018-09-21 17:15:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds painful - much like the Kelly era. *
by ocmj  (2018-09-21 17:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please note that Wimbush is in year 4 with this dipsh**.
by cj  (2018-09-21 16:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's frightening what kelly does to ND men.

This is what you get when you hire a guy that couldn't crack 800 on the SATs...who made his cfb bones against some teams and schools that no one has ever heard of...

swarbrick and jenkins can f themselves...

Polian is a douche.

Wimbush as Goat
by Willylumplump  (2018-09-21 15:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You got it right again. Instead of putting in plays to take advantage of Wimbush’s talents the Boss man has tried to fit the round peg into the square hole and the kid’s the scapegoat. Wimbush’s many talents go unused, like some other QBs. It’s not too late for Jurkovec to go home to Pgh, and start over before he gets shafted too.

I don't get pissed off about ND football
by HTownND  (2018-09-21 15:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like I used to.

But this, this is just fucking inexcusable to me. I know I'm not alone, but I also know I'm in the minority

"As is starting him for three games, calling five straight shitty halves of football, then implying Wimbush is to blame, using a dogshit hack of a reporter to lay the ground for the change then sell it to hapless fans"

You see it some here, and other places, but the idea that Wimbush is in any way shape or form responsible for any of this, blows my mind. Wimbush is the sole reason we're 3-0. FULL STOP. The kid has done everything asked of him, including trying to be something he's not. And he's going to be the fucking scape goat for all of this, and we're on to the next RKG QB who will finally be the savior we've been looking for. It's just all so fucking petty and shitty, and the fans that lap it up drive me crazy.

Wimbush is so f'ing far from being the problem, it's not even close.

eh i hate kelly but i'm not seeing how a kid who can't
by airborneirish  (2018-09-21 16:34:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make throws is may be a 'great qb under a different system.'

In what system would a guy as limited as wimbush thrive? navy's? I'm not following you and bruno. If you think he has good footwork and throwing mechanics please show me the evidence. The opposite has been alleged here ad nauseam.

I don't liek the move, I don't like Kelly, etc. but I don't think Wimbush is some dormant phenom who would succeed "if only." If anything the majority of our failed QBs went elsewhere and failed there too.

He can make plenty of throws
by HTownND  (2018-09-21 17:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We just like to call the ones he's not good at for some god forsaken reason.

Wimbush can make plenty of throws. But like a lot of guys, he can't make every throw.

Instead of scrapping that shitty WR screen game, they try to force him to do it, repeatedly.

I assure you, unlocking Chris Finke in the flat is not the solution to what ails us at the moment.

Wimbush is our best back... *
by Wolfetone  (2018-09-21 16:15:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get pissed off because I don't get pissed off about
by veets  (2018-09-21 16:11:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND football like I used to.

Remember when you utter "get used to it" in this context...
by Brahms  (2018-09-21 14:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you need to flip your pen into the student section.

What a colossal shit show Kelly is.

Own it, Jack; you smug POS.

Savvy & the rest of them do own it and unsmugly so.
by nd71  (2018-09-21 14:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless and until there are financial and/or reputational consequences to the University, they are quite content to own it.

Not a single one of them to include the BoT/F and key members of the press/media will speak, even in code, on/off the record regarding any discontent.

So what is to be done?

Hasn't there already been reputational damage?
by dwjm3  (2018-09-21 14:45:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sullivan tragedy, probation

There are only two answers to your question ...
by CJC  (2018-09-21 14:50:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both answers are horrifying:

One, that there hasn't been reputational damage to Notre Dame, at least not in the eyes of the board of trustees.

Or, they don't care that there has been reputational damage.

Pick your poison.

In our eyes, yes. In theirs, no.
by nd71  (2018-09-21 14:49:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They measure these things in revenues.

Who do you think is pushing back at it?
by dwjm3  (2018-09-21 15:05:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall you stating you thought Jenkins vote of confidence was a sign of somebody pushing back at their leadership.

I'm not nd71
by HTownND  (2018-09-21 15:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I believe there are some "old guard" type folks who aren't down with what's going on.

But they are outnumbered and outgunned, and don't have enough allies to overcome the organizational and institutional inertia and revenue streams that have made everyone fat and happy.

Football excellence is no longer a goal. They'll pay lip service to the program and team, but if ND never wins or plays for another national title ever again, they don't care (as long as the stadium "sells out" and the money keeps flowing in).

Wars over, Wormer dropped the big one indeed. It's all over but the crying. One day, down the road, when things are worse, some may ask "how did we get here", but they won't care about the answer, because they will have made a shit ton of money on the whole thing.

This
by nd71  (2018-09-21 16:54:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

especially the old guard. CrazyChester et al likely have the same viewpoints fro different folks.

True football excellence would be an added bonus but an unnecessary one as long as the dough flows and ND is not embarrassed. Despite 2012/13 Ws being vacated, many feel that BK can still get ND into the playoff conversation deep into the regular season again. That became the goal awhile ago, sad to say.

Most telling, institutionally speaking, is the absence of leadership on this from those who are supposed to provide same.

And when trading on past glory
by HTownND  (2018-09-21 17:55:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally runs out, they'll all be gone, so who cares.

Until then, we're going to wring the ever loving shit out of that golden goose's neck.

And Mary will weep
by nd71  (2018-09-21 18:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is what it has become.

Unless . . .

She probably sees no better use for a half billion bucks
by Moff  (2018-09-21 22:04:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than the stadium addition.

That and making sure the guys with the vow of poverty don't have to live in the "dump" that was Corby Hall.

Now where did I leave my Walking Taco.