Confession time
by Irish_Texan (2020-09-04 07:17:20)

I, a 41 year old American man, have never seen Trading Places

59. Silence of the Lambs. Zero interest. *
by mr.natural  (2020-09-04 21:06:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, The Great Cornholio is the finest literary character
by mr.natural  (2020-09-04 23:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in American history. Ignatius Reilly a close second.

Confession-I like Billie Eilish *
by veets  (2020-09-04 18:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not a confession.
by 89Swine  (2020-09-04 23:04:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's talented well beyond her years.

Nothing to confess, she’s really good. *
by mr.natural  (2020-09-04 20:47:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confession: I liked The Bridges of Madison County.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-09-04 17:21:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here’s my Man Card. Dispose of it as you wish.

That's a bridge too far. Put on this apron. *
by PWK2  (2020-09-04 17:29:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can’t put Clint Eastwood in an apron, dammit! *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-09-04 17:53:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confession...I still love Top Gun. *
by BottleofRed  (2020-09-04 17:15:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The wife and I saw a screening of Top Gun at the Los Angeles
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-09-05 04:51:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Theatre a few years ago. The Los Angeles Theatre is an old movie theater in downtown LA and the movie was shown by the Los Angeles Conservancy. They had the convertible from the film on display as well as a few movie costumes. As I recall either the director or producer spoke for a few minutes prior to the screening. It was pretty cool.

Confession
by 96_ND  (2020-09-05 06:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The sequel to Top Gun will be the first movie I see in a movie theater once we get through Covid. I am actually pretty excited to see it.

Same. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right there with ya! *
by Shifty  (2020-09-04 20:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife hadn't heard of it.
by Wooderson  (2020-09-04 16:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's 38.

Edit: oh and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is an objectively terrible song.

Confession: I think you are all crazy. *
by Anthro_domer  (2020-09-04 14:50:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Birds of a feather... *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have an above-ground pool *
by jmac95  (2020-09-04 14:03:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That escalated quickly. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 14:21:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confession: I don't find Bill Murray funny. *
by DillonFightSong  (2020-09-04 13:47:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except for Groundhog Day. Not
by Ndbob79  (2020-09-04 14:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an SNL lounge singer fan

He was good in Groundhog Day.
by DillonFightSong  (2020-09-04 18:25:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t find his character in Caddyshack funny at all.

What About Bob . . . Bob?
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To me that's his other really good movie.

Ghostbusters has to be included. *
by BottleofRed  (2020-09-04 17:22:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm the same with Will Farrell *
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that he tries too hard. I don’t find him funny
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:55:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

either. Vince Vaughn is probably my favorite comedic actor.

I enjoyed Everything Must Go probably because it’s not his
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-09-05 03:59:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

typical over the top crap.

You must be the guy who invented rope *
by wildesilas  (2020-09-04 14:45:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll assume that's a reference to a line in one of his
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:46:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

movies that I haven't seen.

Blades of Glory (link)
by wildesilas  (2020-09-04 14:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too. My kids give me hard time
by Ndbob79  (2020-09-04 14:37:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about it. Not an Elf fan.

2/3rds of Elf is hilarious.
by Wooderson  (2020-09-04 16:48:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last act is painful to watch.

I’ve not watched past the first 20 minutes of Breaking Bad.
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 13:41:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bryan Cranston screaming a lot just doesn’t do it for me.

You've got to be kidding me. *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-09-05 04:51:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same. I might have lasted 30 minutes, but it was so long ago
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:56:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that I can’t even remember.

I hereby disown you as my internet friend.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-09-04 16:44:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a wound that runs too deep.

E! is running a Friday Night Lights marathon tonight. Do I
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 18:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get half credit?

TimRiggins just met up with his golf-hustling dad.

He actually doesn't scream that much in the series
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:30:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In fact I can't recall him doing much at all - he becomes a very calm, heartless criminal. Now Jesse (Aaron Paul), he yells and screams all the time, but that's different.

And the series starts slow but if you give it time it's downright addictive, starting somewhere in the middle of the first season. I didn't watch it when it first came out, saw it all on Netflix, but when I did it was one of the few series I've deemed bingewatchable.

First trip to Baltimore
by needamirer  (2020-09-04 13:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really prepared to dislike the City based upon the crime stories and negativity I’ve heard about it - spent some time down by the harbor this week and enjoyed the City a lot.

Confession: I’ve never watched Game of Thrones or Ozark. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 12:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same here. *
by BottleofRed  (2020-09-04 17:19:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've never watched a minute or read a page of GoT but...
by Revue Party  (2020-09-04 17:03:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but I spent quite a bit of time with George RR Martin over the course of a few days at a writer's conference two summers ago. Very sweet old man. We mostly talked about football and writing.

One episode of Ozark was enough. Too depressing.

Wow! I admit that I had to google his name to figure out who
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:53:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You were talking about, but that is really cool. What was he like? I always wonder what authors truly think of the end product when their book is translated into either a TV show or movie.

He was quirky but very sweet.
by Revue Party  (2020-09-05 00:08:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a little forlorn as a few friends had recently passed away.

I know a few authors who’ve had their books made into TV shows or movies. The reaction tends to align with how much control they have which is often little. Couple have been disasters despite to-die-for casts.

A friend from my writer’s workshop just had his first movie based on one of his novels come out (after years of options on that and other books) in China (streamed because of COVID). The trailer was cool despite not understanding a word of it. He has another in the works starring Awkwafina.

I have never watched a Harry Potter movie...
by lwegs  (2020-09-04 12:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or read a Harry Potter book...and I still don't want to.

I started with the last movie.
by tdiddy07  (2020-09-05 10:55:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got all the good stuff in.

I've seen the first three.
by BottleofRed  (2020-09-04 17:42:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On our fall trip last year, we spent a few nights at a bed and breakfast in small town in Maine. Because there wasn't anything else to do, we watched Harry Potter. This gets filed under things you do for your kids.

I have tried several times over several movies.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-09-04 16:54:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I could never quite figure out what the hell was going on. Nor did I particularly care to.

The only real conclusion I can draw from the entire series is that Emma Watson was cute.

I watched the first one, and that was enough *
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

+1. Nor Fantastic Beasts. Nor read even one of the books. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 13:38:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had no desire to read the books.
by Cash  (2020-09-04 13:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I found the Quidditch nonsense, as seen at, for instance, my alma mater, among actual human beings to be disgraceful.

But when my oldest daughter turned 8, I took on the job of reading them aloud to her before bed each night. 4100 pages later, we were both in something approaching mourning that it had to end. They were outstanding.

Cash

Right there with you.
by CMillar  (2020-09-04 13:44:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hated the very thought of it.

I was astonished by the end, especially how the level of writing and themes tracked so well with the ages of the characters as the books progressed.

Although I'm still somewhat loathe to admit it, I'm a big fan.

I'm sorry
by ndtnguy  (2020-09-04 14:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read them when they came out. My younger sister was the prime target age for them, and I read them after she did just for the heck of it.

They're entertaining in their own way, certainly.

But on fundamental levels they're really very poor. The world-building is hodgepodge at best (the new Star Wars writers went to the JK Rowling School of Multi-Part Storytelling it feels), the universe's moral philosophy arbitrary and shallow, and the excitement generated mostly by pulp-fiction cliffhanger techniques. To be sure, there were parts that were genuinely funny or otherwise well-done. But all in all they're well-marketed penny dreadfuls for the teeny-bopper set.

They're very good examples of what they are, but what they are just isn't that hot.

I'm not arguing they are great literature.
by CMillar  (2020-09-04 15:00:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Far from it.

What I found impressive was how well the writing style, reading level, and themes seemed to track with the ages of the characters as you progressed from one book to the next.

For a story that was certainly developed in hodge-podge fashion, I was genuinely surprised it flowed at all, let alone coming to any sort of satisfying conclusion. Although given the stilted nature of the world that was built, it sort of becomes part of its charm.

And that's ultimately where I land with these books: they're charming, even more so when I started off fully intending to hate them.

Ditto *
by ArasEra  (2020-09-04 13:25:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same. I’ll watch one if the kids want to, but they aren’t
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 12:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into that yet. Until then, hard pass.

Be sure to tell us when you fist Harry Potter. *
by Irish Tool  (2020-09-04 12:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s my plan for Sunday, but after I take Comunnion,
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 12:46:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

naturally. I haven’t been in the mood for confession recently.

Merlin's Beard! *
by Shifty  (2020-09-04 12:35:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confiteor Natio Dominae Nostrae...
by Kbyrnes  (2020-09-04 11:46:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I, a 65-year old American, have never had a Big Mac.

I've had hundreds
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:24:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I worked there for 9 years and we had a store in the building. I think I've had only one in the last year, and if I've had 20 in the last 10 years I'd be surprised, especially since they aren't in the Indiana Toll Road oases anymore, replaced by [snort] Burger King.

It's still my favorite McDonald's sandwich, though. You should try at least a bite sometime.

Confession time
by Patrick Bateman  (2020-09-04 11:33:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never watched a single minute of the simpsons.

Eat my shorts. *
by Irish Tool  (2020-09-04 11:35:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ay caramba *
by Anthro_domer  (2020-09-04 11:49:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few words of advice
by Jvan  (2020-09-04 11:22:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jamie Lee Curtis in her prime.

You ain’t kidding. *
by John88  (2020-09-04 14:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve never seen ANY of the Star Wars movies but I’ve seen
by PabloFanque  (2020-09-04 10:28:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trading Places 3 or 4 times.

Exactly the same here. *
by ArasEra  (2020-09-04 13:23:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Character Revealing
by ColdwaterIrish  (2020-09-04 10:09:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe someday I will sit on a cushioned seat and watch from beginning to finish Gone With The Wind, the Wizard of Oz, and the Sound of Music. I already have watched from beginning to finish Dumb and Dumber, Christmas Vacation, and There's Something About Mary.

I was thinking about Dumb & Dumber the other day
by Shifty  (2020-09-04 10:19:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very few actors have a year like Jim Carrey had in 1994.

Ace Ventura
The Mask
Dumb & Dumber

But only Dumb & Dumber can be judged a classic.

Ace Ventura is close, but just does not rise to the level of 'classic' despite some great lines / quotes.
The Mask was good, but hardly a cultural touchstone.

Dumb & Dumber? That will never not be funny.

The Mask does not age well
by HScorpio  (2020-09-04 10:44:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched it again a few months ago, with fond memories in my head from seeing it In the 90s. I was disappointed.

Even with a young Cameron Diaz? *
by Marine Domer  (2020-09-04 13:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a really steep drop from Jim C and Cameron D
by Shifty  (2020-09-04 13:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to Peter Reigert and Peter Greene.

When I saw it in 1994 I thought it was good. Not outstanding, but good. I liked the musical numbers, Cuban Pete in particular.

But I don't think I've ever re-watched it. Except for 'Smokin!' there isn't one memorable or quotable line of dialogue or joke.

Cameron Diaz peak comedy is Something About Mary.

I did not care for The Godfather. *
by Nitschke  (2020-09-04 10:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The imagery is breath-taking. And
by Ndbob79  (2020-09-04 14:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The acting superb. The argument is which is better, Godfather I or Ii? Give it another chance on the best tv you have.

Because it insists upon itself *
by Irish_Texan  (2020-09-04 10:17:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've still never seen it.
by CMillar  (2020-09-04 10:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I figure the legion of mafioso films and shows that came after largely ripped it off anyway, so why invest the time?

Besides, there's only so much of that east coast Italian shit I can take.

Bad decision, and no, they really didn't
by sprack  (2020-09-04 14:38:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Goodfellas, Casino, etc. are entirely Scorsese, and Coppola is absolutely not Scorsese and Scorsese is not Coppola. Even he whole premise of the Scorsese films is different from the Godfather films. The Sopranos is great, but it is not in the Godfather style at all. Speaking of The Sopranos though, the characters refer to the movies often, and revere them (calling them simply "One", "Two" and "Three"). And that is reportedly absolutely accurate in the real Mob.

You're missing two of the best movies ever made on any subject (III, you can skip). The good news is you have something to look forward to.

I make bad decisions all the time; it's my specialty. *
by CMillar  (2020-09-04 15:49:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Watch the extended single cut of 1&2 done in chronological
by Wooderson  (2020-09-04 16:55:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Order.

7 hours, but absolutely epic.

3 sucked.

He should save some time
by gozer  (2020-09-04 21:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Watch The Freshman and take out the lizard stuff. He’ll catch the gist of it, and in only an hour and a half

I also have not seen the Godfather Trilogy.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-09-04 13:05:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see where Francis Ford Coppola is giving a new ending to III.

Ah, now I see why you made this confession today. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 09:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Repent! *
by CJC  (2020-09-04 09:28:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is probably a movie that could never be made
by Steelhop  (2020-09-04 09:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

today. Much like Blazing Saddles.

It is probably one of the top 5 movies I quote from with my wife all the time.

Confession time.
by doolinbanjos  (2020-09-04 11:17:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never saw Blazing Saddles.

Tried quite a few times, couldn't get into it.

Eddie Murphy was fantastic
by irishrock  (2020-09-04 09:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he made fun of white people, but wasn't cutting about it. And he did a really good job at it.

"Persia...it's from Persia" so many funny lines

And Jamie Lee. Curtis and her two friends were in fine form *
by tar  (2020-09-04 09:57:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confession Time
by DBCooper  (2020-09-04 09:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m really enjoying Cobra Kai on Netflix

It’s cheesy, probably more for teenagers, and the acting is a bit suspect. But it brings me back to my youth with all the 80s nostalgia. I hope they bring back Terry Silver and Mike Barnes at some point. Karate Kid 3 was much better than 2.

You are enjoying it because it’s awesome. Come for [spoiler]
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 13:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

watching Johnny kick the trash out of some kids outside 7-11, stay for the Whitesnake dream sequence with Johnny’s pretty neighbor lady.

Worth just for the (spoiler)
by Allumeuse  (2020-09-04 12:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Epic brawl at the end of the second season.

Spoiler
by NDBass  (2020-09-04 16:01:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought there was no way the fight was going to end the way it did. Even with the setup, I didn't believe they'd go that far until I saw Miguel go over the rail. I figured it would end in the same schlocky sitcomedy way with somebody finally learning they were wrong and changing their behavior and all would be well. Hell, even then I expected he'd just have a broken leg or something. That they followed through on the setup the way they did is one of the most impressive things I think they've done in the entire series.

I enjoyed it. *
by NDBass  (2020-09-04 12:00:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that series is really good
by 96_ND  (2020-09-04 11:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched the first series a few years ago when it came out on YouTube Red. Zabka does a great job as Johnny. Almost a shame that he was typecast between the Karate Kid and Back to School.

My wife can't believe that I enjoyed it after watching some of it with me. I haven't watched season 2 yet but am looking forward to it.

It’s not just those two
by DBCooper  (2020-09-04 12:16:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just one of the Guys (underrated 80s movie) is a Johnny Lawrence remix and European vacation he plays an ass too.

Those 4 movies (and Karate Kid 2 as well) in a 2 year span. All Playing the bully high school jock. Pretty impressive string of movies, but certainly typecast him. I hope he gets some more acting roles out of Cobra Kai.

I think you have to credit Hot Tub Time Machine
by Steelhop  (2020-09-04 14:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for bring him back. After "Back to School" his career certainly went down hill. But, HTTB brought him back into the eye of directors. He's been awesome.

HTTM was a dark horse, but a great dark horse. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:59:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 10:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m with you. My wife and I have binged our way through most
by tar  (2020-09-04 10:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of first two seasons. There are some really funny parts.

I was with you all the way up to the the last part
by Steelhop  (2020-09-04 09:26:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just started watching this week when it flipped over to Netflix and it has been awesome. I think your basic point about nostalgia is right on point.

But, it does raises two great questions - was Daniel a dork or douche?
What the heck did Allie see in him?

This has been known for years (link)
by DBCooper  (2020-09-04 09:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've see that before. It is awesome. *
by Steelhop  (2020-09-04 10:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This 30-for-30 is so beautiful. (link)
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 13:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have you seen Coming to America?
by 96_ND  (2020-09-04 09:18:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I probably saw Coming to America 20+ times before seeing Trading Places.

I finally understood one of the scenes in Coming to America when I watched Trading Places.

It is a 3-day weekend. Take the time to watch the movie. You will not be disappointed.

That movie was great too. *
by MobileIrish  (2020-09-04 12:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my favorite Christmas movies *
by Barrister  (2020-09-04 09:03:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trading Places and Die Hard = the two best Christmas movies. *
by voidoid  (2020-09-04 10:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have never seen any of the Die Hard movies but
by NDManorite  (2020-09-04 12:41:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a meeting with a german man named Hans Gruber yesterday

Confession time
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2020-09-04 09:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never saw a minute of the following film series:

1. Nightmare on Elm St.
2. Harry Potter

I've never seen Titanic.
by Revue Party  (2020-09-04 09:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though, that might be more a humblebrag than a confession.

Never Nightmare on Elm St. either. No interest whatsoever.

My wife made me watch it last month.
by EricCartman  (2020-09-04 10:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t get the hype.

did she make you smell the glove as well? *
by jt  (2020-09-04 13:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are truly blessed
by 96_ND  (2020-09-04 09:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 hours I will never get back.

This deserves a BBMF. *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-04 21:58:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-09-04 11:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll admit it.
by CMillar  (2020-09-04 10:00:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like that movie. Especially when Leonardo dies for no particular reason.

I cried when the old lady dumped that 9 figure jewel into the abyss, though.

Someone is a Billy Zane fan *
by DBCooper  (2020-09-04 09:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, we are both royalty *
by 96_ND  (2020-09-04 10:56:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"....and she stepped on the ball." *
by irishnyer  (2020-09-04 08:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here’s $5. Merry Christmas. It’s from both of us *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-09-04 08:53:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just last week that movie won me a bet.
by VTND  (2020-09-04 08:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My mother didn't believe that bacon came from pork belly. I, of course, knew this from the immortal wisdom of Randolph Duke: "We are 'commodities brokers,' William. Now, what are commodities? Commodities are agricultural products... like coffee that you had for breakfast... wheat, which is used to make bread... pork bellies, which is used to make bacon, which you might find in a 'bacon, lettuce and tomato' sandwich."

Of course. $1. *
by cincysubdomer  (2020-09-04 09:30:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These days you can stop after “man” *
by DakotaDomer  (2020-09-04 08:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"whiskey...all you want" *
by irishrock  (2020-09-04 08:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That means you don't know the Quart of Blood technique!
by wildesilas  (2020-09-04 08:31:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm telling you...that has saved my ass many times over the years.

It ain't cool being no jive turkey so close to Thanksgiving *
by Ghop  (2020-09-04 08:37:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those two had great character names in the credits *
by gozer  (2020-09-04 09:46:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are looking at 3 to 5 mandatory, Louis. *
by mr_neutron  (2020-09-04 07:43:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Billy Ray: You want me to break something else?
by Steelhop  (2020-09-04 09:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Dukes: Nooooooo!

My wife and I quote this all the time when we drop something.

He was wearing my Harvard tie
by ndtuba  (2020-09-04 09:06:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like oh sure, he went to Harvard.

I can see! I have legs! *
by cincysubdomer  (2020-09-04 07:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen that part
by Irish_Texan  (2020-09-04 08:54:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've probably watched the first 30 minutes 5 times in a dorm common room after the girls went home, before "falling sleep"

Looking good Billy Ray. Feeling good Lewis. *
by Shifty  (2020-09-04 08:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Such as bacon. That you would find in a Bacon. Lettuce. And
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-04 08:33:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tomato sandwich.

Whisky, all you want! *
by Santos L Halper  (2020-09-04 08:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post