Just wondering: 1. When did this Marshmallow thing start?
by 1NDGal (2018-11-09 11:14:33)

I recall a few beach balls in my day but no marshmallows. Looks like the Seniors are doing it again this year, but now they acknowledge what a mess it makes. Nice letter in the Observer (linked up front) from several Seniors who will help clean up on Sunday. We’ll see if they’re allowed in. Ofc of Risk Mgmt on line 1.

2. Does ND have its own MRI or do the athletes go to St. Joe or somewhere? Seems like we’re approaching a point where the purchase would be warranted. NDWBB alone would have kept it in business last year.

3. Will ND Stadium Concessions have enough hot chocolate this time? Last game, big game, snowy conditions, COME ON. The excess can go to Compton. Get it together.

Marshmallow was invented in 2000 BC by the Egyptians
by inigomontoya  (2018-11-10 05:11:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The word "marshmallow" comes from the mallow plant species (Althaea officinalis), an herb native to parts of Europe, North Africa, and Asia which grows in marshes and other damp areas. The plant's stem and leaves are fleshy and its white flower has five petals. It is not known exactly when marshmallows were invented, but their history goes back as early as 2000 B.C. Ancient Egyptians were said to be the first to make them and eating them was a privilege strictly reserved for gods and for royalty, who used the root of the plant and to soothe coughs and sore throats, and to heal wounds. The first marshmallows were prepared by boiling pieces of root pulp with honey until thick. Once thickened, the mixture was strained, cooled, and then used as intended.

It become more of the candy we know today in the early 1900s.

Marshmallow was weaponized in the mid 1970s when a young Charlie Weis smuggled three bags of marshmallows into Notre Dame stadium for a second half snack and his roommate grabbed a bag and began throwing them at fellow students, much to Weis’ dismay.

Finally, someone answers the question. Thank you. You
by 1NDGal  (2018-11-10 07:28:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mah best good fren’.

TeeHee...the more you know......🌈⭐️ *
by inigomontoya  (2018-11-10 08:12:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1986 by me.
by fighting amish  (2018-11-09 19:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was co-chair of Pangborn Freshman orientation and VP of the dorm that year. My co- chair set up a marshmallow roast with Le Mans Hall. We had 40 bags of marshmallows and were all set until a tornado warning caused it to be cancelled. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to take a few bags to the game. Since we had the 1812 overture at the end of the 3rd quarter, I chose the end of the first quarter as a good time to do it. The first time we did it was hysterical because obviously no one saw it coming. At first people were pissed about getting hit, but once they realized what they were hit by, it really took off. We did it every game that year and each game it got bigger. As you can imagine, the ushers were pissed. I assume it is now only tolerated once a year because it makes such a mess. Someone mentioned it being pirated from Penn State. I live in a area choking in the filth of that cult. I would never do anything to emulate that place. They may have been doing it, but I was unaware of it.

Nope. 1985 by my Zahm friends. *
by SonofNotreDame  (2018-11-10 01:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Documented in SB tribune in 1986
by fighting amish  (2018-11-10 07:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a hard copy of it. Was not able to locate it in their archives. I didn't own up to it at the time because I had already been before Ann Firth and the residence life posse for a dorm hosted tailgater that year.

Doesn’t mattter what the SB tribune wrote in 1986.
by SonofNotreDame  (2018-11-10 14:25:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My friends in Zahm did it in1985. Sorry to burst your bubble.

No bubbles burst.
by fighting amish  (2018-11-10 19:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know what I know. Never saw it happen in 1985. It couldn't be missed in '86.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. No reason for the tone of your reply.

No negative tone intended. Just stated what happened.
by SonofNotreDame  (2018-11-10 21:38:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meant no offense

I wondered this myself. It was rolls of toilet paper ...
by Barney68  (2018-11-09 15:47:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when I was there in '66 and '67. Hold the roll so that the paper sort of hangs over the back of your hand and stretches down past your wrist, aim high, and use the fingers to apply a bit of a spin.

They would arc high over the student section, sometimes dozens at a time, pulling their growing tail behind them.

I never did this, of course.

'72 & 73
by D8NDomer  (2018-11-09 16:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being 6'4" and in the lower seats I got pretty good at catching those suckers. Of course I returned them to senders.

Easily seen after Eric Penick's TD at the 2 minute mark.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-11-09 17:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly that. Them was the days! *
by Barney68  (2018-11-09 18:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw it being done at the Navy game in 1987. *
by KevinPS  (2018-11-09 15:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first recollection of marshmallows is probably 1991
by ghop  (2018-11-09 13:40:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I remember correctly in 1990 we tried to recreate the throwing of oranges at the last home game in anticipation of an Orange Bowl bid. It was not well received as people were getting clobbered by oranges and injured. I think I remember the flying marshmallows at the last home game the following year. We figured nobody could get hurt by marshmallows, but if I recall correctly there were issues with people loading up them with coins or little rocks to make them go farther. It was definitely more prevalent when I was in law school the following years.

I remember the oranges. Lou was not happy. *
by 1NDGal  (2018-11-09 17:32:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are emulating Penn State. In the early 80s I was a
by boomer80  (2018-11-09 13:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

grad student there and witnessed that stupid activity there in Beaver Stadium. Thought to myself, “I’m sure glad ND students have more intelligence than to descend to that level of behavior!”
OH WELL!!

My memory might be wrong, but my undergrad years 95-99
by pmoose  (2018-11-09 13:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall the whole student body participating in marshmallow fights at halftime for every game. Sure, I think it was supposed to be more a senior thing and certainly was heavier in that section, but all sections had at least some amount of marshmallows. Well, that was true until my senior year (season of '98) where in what I believe was the 2nd home game of the season (Purdue), there were 2 toads and an octopus being thrown around the student section. One of the toads had an errant throw that ended up hitting a child in the adjacent section who needed medical attention. This led to an outright ban on marshmallows for the remainder of the year. How, you ask? They told anyone caught throwing marshmallows or anything else would be ejected from the stadium and face Res Life consequences.

I can't recall if it was the following home game or the last home game of the season (want to say last one) that the seniors participated in an imaginary marshmallow fight (i.e. pretending to throw marshmallows but actually having nothing). What a sight that must've been to people who knew nothing of what was going on!

Edit: Shows you how good my memory is! As shown by an Observer link in this thread, the game was the 2nd from last home game!

I distinctly remember the next game warning
by bigwave96  (2018-11-09 18:02:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From the press box came the following, "the throwing of maritime animals is strictly forbidden!"

Still laugh about it...

The story really raises a question
by ndtnguy  (2018-11-09 14:40:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly what part of a frog, even when thrown, will cause a facial laceration?

When thrown 50 feet in the air and 20 rows down *
by pmoose  (2018-11-09 15:27:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Better than what happened to me
by Badin87  (2018-11-09 12:14:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My senior year (86 football season, Lou’s first year), some idiot threw an empty 2 liter bottle down and hit me in the head.

We did it in '89,. Took a while to get it off the raincoat
by 88_92WSND  (2018-11-09 12:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's just sugar, for chrissake. (I never brought them, but re throwing them was no big deal...) It was only the last game.

And it's a HELL of a lot better than the short lived "Let's throw all the cups" around phenomenon. Those suckers hurt if they came down from row 50 or so.
Do remember one getting almost to the TV time out guy...

Kinky. Rubbers are usually one time use. *
by inigomontoya  (2018-11-10 05:13:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Marshmallows were an every halftime thing in my day.
by Rockbrig97  (2018-11-09 12:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Late 90s, early 2000s.

The highlight (er, lowlight?) was in 1999 when the upperclassmen weren't satisfied with mere marshmallows and started bringing huge fish, octopus, and other crazy things in. I believe it was the Halloween game in 1999 when a student was captured in an Observer photo swinging an octopus over his head.

Red Wings Fan? *
by T-Bone  (2018-11-09 12:57:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is this the game? (link)
by nd44  (2018-11-09 12:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was there, and remember the Octopus.

The headline below it is even more curious
by domerdan_2006  (2018-11-09 18:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"SMC changes marketing strategy to focus on women"

An all-women school, focusing on women. Breakthrough thinking from the SMC chicks in '98.

Keenan Men *
by The Holtz Room  (2018-11-09 15:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see some familiar faces
by HTownND  (2018-11-09 14:07:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In that photo.

I may have gotten stopped by a priest one section over for swinging the octupus one time.

He held my student ID for a half, but then gave it back before I left with a small penance.

yup, my senior year *
by bbill99  (2018-11-09 13:58:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a fan of Kelly's.
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-11-09 13:42:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One leg for each regular season victory.

Me too. *
by milhouse  (2018-11-09 13:38:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You were wearing a huge banana suit, if I recall correctly. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-11-09 14:43:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been wearing a huge banana all my life.
by milhouse  (2018-11-09 14:54:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On that day, however, I also wore a huge banana suit. It was Halloween...

Nit
by ndtnguy  (2018-11-09 12:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An octopus is not a squid, Michelle.

I also enjoy the headline on the article below: "SMC Changes Marketing Plan to Focus on Women." You do wonder if their admission rate went up a lot after they stopped marketing to men.

Page 9 of that edition has a letter to the editor
by Rockbrig97  (2018-11-09 12:31:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

taking a shot at disgraced former Atlanta Braves GM John Coppolella.

Yep
by HTownND  (2018-11-09 14:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now I want to know what he wrote about his fellow “banned for lifer” Pete Rose

Page 24 at my link
by Boston Domer  (2018-11-09 14:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was curious to read his discussion about the best baseball teams of all time, as the 2018 Red Sox have obviously rendered those debates meaningless. Although he was talented enough to become a MLB GM, he could not predict that in the future one team would come and put the debate to bed for eternity.

That's the one! A year earlier than I remembered...
by Rockbrig97  (2018-11-09 12:17:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man, those halftimes were crazy.

See what bad football does. *
by irishhawk49  (2018-11-09 12:26:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plastic cups were flying thru student section against Miami
by ThreeD  (2018-11-09 11:46:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in 88. Back when men were men and cups (sometimes with ice) raining down on your head was pure joy.

Those were the days! What's this namby-pamby marshmallow crap?

They did it when my Daughter (2008) was at ND *
by 1978Irish  (2018-11-09 11:28:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did it (class of 2000) *
by Bones  (2018-11-09 11:35:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was going down in 1997 *
by pmac98  (2018-11-09 11:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Read here...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-11-09 11:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Another one of the talented offspring of our own CJC wrote about it 5 years ago: Marshmallow Fightin’.

Yesterday's Observer had a letter signed by several seniors advocating a new tradition: go to the stadium Sunday to help clean up the mess: A new marshmallow tradition.

Too many r's in your href in your first link Mr Byrnes. *
by dfw  (2018-11-09 11:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-11-09 12:00:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I'd never have thought I'd roll my html r's, but therre ya go.