A Great Hall of Fame Coach Tarnishes Her Legacy
by NYC Fan (2021-12-24 10:45:49)

I'm a fan of excellence in sports organizations' "under-the-hood" factors that makes them so. Invariably it begins with great coaches who foster a playing style and culture that reflects them. Recruiting and talent are necessary but not always the only critical components. I've been an MM fan for what she accomplished at ND WBB. Her comment at a packed Purcell that when she started, she could count the # of fans before the national anthem was finished resonates for me. My favorite UConn games have all been against ND because of the great talent and coaching. My top most favorite was in-person with my daughter in Storrs watching Marina's amazing 1st half and Arike's specialness. That same year it was disappointing to hear MM had complained to Brenda Frieze that WCBB descended post Pat Summit, an unambiguous shot at Geno, which Doris Butke (yes, ESPN) called out.

A word about UConn media bias: Virtually all media, ESPN included, excuse my language, are whores. Their foremost interest is in themselves and capturing eyeballs. Try convincing UConn WBB fans ESPN is biased toward their team. I accept it but understand why. Check out fan attendance and viewership whenever UConn comes to town or is on TV. They draw, and the media knows it!

About upward bias of ranking UConn recruits, really? Last year Ducharme was consistently ranked #4 and after her UConn commitment dropped to #5. This year check out Bencher posts when #2 Patterson committed to UConn and Ice Brady was #3. Currently they are #4 & #5. I will agree that Watch Lists may include UConn players who don't necessarily belong. That too is a form of wanting to capture eyeballs, so they include UConn players.

I've seen Saban, Cael Sanderson (Penn State wrestling), even Belichick lose and pay tribute to their opponents. And certainly Geno does - Check out his remarks and tribute to Miss. State after what was surely a most painful loss. I don't recall MM ever doing so. To the contrary, and when Stewie won MVP, MM thought Jewell, certainly a great player, should have won and noticeably failed to clap for her.

A few days ago a Geno thread here had Muffet occupying real estate in Geno's head. Sure seems it's the other way around. It's hard to see how her rant (sorry but I can't think of a more apt word) enhances a great former coach's reputation/legacy. Quite the contrary it diminishes it.

Replies: