Follow up from post below, what do you collect?
by Endthecursein05 (2018-08-16 11:17:00)

I find it interesting the different items that people collect, and even more so the amount of money that people will spend. I collect a couple of things, both of which seem silly.

I have kept every hotel key card I have used for the past 20 years. Not sure why, but every trip the new ones go in with the others.

I also collect Notre Dame ticket stubs. I have all of the games I have attended, and now looking for others to just add to the collection.

What are the items you look out for day to day?

WWII Propaganda Posters. Have some Ukiyo-e, too
by Shifty  (2018-08-17 10:41:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've organized the posters and displayed online here

I have a few dozen ukiyo-e, too. But it is more difficult to organize that stuff as it the information is all in Japanese.

Tickets to sporting events and logo golf balls from courses
by NDFlyer  (2018-08-17 09:27:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've played.

I sold 900 record albums 2 years ago. *
by discNDav  (2018-08-17 07:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Photographs (Not surprising)
by dbldomer7375  (2018-08-17 07:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Twentieth Century Modernists. Not as much as I used to because the prices are ridiculously high.

My wife collects Christmas Ornaments from places we have visited.

Brewery tin tackers *
by Ditka03  (2018-08-17 07:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beer fest tasting glasses
by teach  (2018-08-17 00:29:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the many times living in Madison has its privileges.

Did you collect beer goggles in college? *
by 88_92wsnd  (2018-08-17 07:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can send you some. *
by ksqdomer  (2018-08-17 06:00:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cigars.
by Papa November  (2018-08-16 23:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I collect the ones that I haven't had a chance to smoke yet.

Dead ancestors (seriously via genealogy as a hobby!) *
by 85irish  (2018-08-16 22:01:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Classic ballpark books and models. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-08-16 21:48:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

memories at concerts w/o taking pictures
by ndlarryj  (2018-08-16 21:05:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

put your GD phone away, people!

also concert ticket stubs

Recently my wife and I started collecting beer coozies.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-08-16 20:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a much more useful colllectible at concerts and events than a t shirt.

Music, too.
by PWK2  (2018-08-16 17:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm old, so I only buy CDs (still). I have about 1000.

I get some CDs and some vinyl, but most of what I ...
by Rocksteady74  (2018-08-16 18:53:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... get is in electronic form. I can't complain, as I wouldn't have room for all my music in physical form. And I don't pay for it, which is nice.

Music. At one time I collected T-shirts for races ...
by Rocksteady74  (2018-08-16 17:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... I entered, but I don't race often these days so it isn't a current collection practice.

Money, pocket-knives and in my former good years, babes. *
by The Flash  (2018-08-16 17:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dust *
by captspaulding  (2018-08-16 16:56:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Magnets.
by BottleofRed  (2018-08-16 16:16:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a travelogue in magnets from the past 20 years on my refrigerator.

Patches
by Cul Baire  (2018-08-16 16:14:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Started as a Cub Scout when it seemed like there was a special patch for just about every event and grew from there.

Mold-A-Ramas
by ndsax01  (2018-08-16 16:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, the unforgettable smell of melted wax transformed into a zoo animal, dinosaur, or the U-505 (to name a few) before your very eyes. I grew up near the Brookfield Zoo and got a mold every so often. Our dog eventually chewed it up and I was back to square one. Now that I have kids, I use them as cover to feed my questionable addiction to try and collect all of them. We have every mold currently available in the Chicago area* and Milwaukee. Getting the ones at the Como Zoo in St. Paul may have been the reason behind our recent trip to the Twin Cities. The Henry Ford Museum in Detroit is now in my crosshairs...

*Though not "technically" Mold-A-Ramas, I recently found out the Volo Auto Museum has two machines that produce Disney characters. Hot diggity dog!

Lint in my belly button. Other than that . . .
by sprack  (2018-08-16 15:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not a collector guy but if I had the space for branded beer glasses I’d collect them. But I don’t. That’s about it.

Bar and restaurant match books. Harder and harder to find
by ksqdomer  (2018-08-16 15:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with non smoking laws. I recall the guy on the bar rescue show saying it is the dumbest this a bar can do. Laying on the dashboard during that DUI stop is not good.

My parents have a collection dating back to the sixties *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-08-16 20:24:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wine ... own just under 500 bottles
by Charlie Hough  (2018-08-16 15:23:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And yes, I keep a spreadsheet of every single bottle.

Six pack carriers.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-08-16 14:58:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have several hundred different ones. One day I will cut the panels from them and cover an entire wall of my basement bar with them.

My freshman year roommates did that, only with cardboard
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 15:08:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cut from cases of Meisterbrau and Busch Light.

Mine will be classier. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-08-16 21:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be difficult to be less classy than my freshman
by milhouse  (2018-08-17 08:46:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year roommates.

I usually get a logo ball when I play a new golf course *
by ghop  (2018-08-16 14:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shamrock Series Unis *
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-08-16 14:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hot Sauces. I'm a bit of a Chilihead.
by TJmcfly  (2018-08-16 14:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I'm not the idiot drinking 4 ounces of pure capsaicin concentrate. I love the unique, small batch stuff. Always clean and keep the bottle of a new sauce when I get one.

I'm a big fan of Crystal hot sauce. *
by discNDav  (2018-08-17 07:51:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You a fan of Bat's Brew?
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-08-17 02:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's my favorite hot sauce.

I know there are different purposes for different sauces, but Bat's Brew is still my favorite.

Favorite uses: gumbo, red beans & rice, jambalaya, etoufee, poboys.

Haven't tried it, but I'm going to have to now.
by TJMcfly  (2018-08-17 07:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Normally I'm not a huge fan of jalapeno heavy sauces but I generally like Louisiana hot sauces. Not that often that the two are combined. Thanks!

Please report back. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-08-18 03:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Books. Hardcover, first edition, first printing but ...
by Barney68  (2018-08-16 13:55:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do have some that don't meet those criteria; special cases as 'twer. An old Vonnegut, for example. I try to keep focused on modern stuff, mostly mysteries or spy stories or thrillers, but, again there are exceptions. Vonnegut ...

The author list is far too long to present but I'm particularly happy with my early Parkers and early Clancys (but Red October ain't among them). Most of the early Parkers and Clancys are signed. Almost all are in good enough condition to count as collectible.

All in all, a couple thousand volumes. I always have something to read.

Wine coasters from wineries we visit *
by Santos L Halper  (2018-08-16 13:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife & I choose a Christmas ornament on every vacation,
by cmhirish  (2018-08-16 13:44:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

unless we are making a return trip to the destination. I do the same with shot glasses. I have a respectable collection of roio recordings.

I have the ticket stub from every ND football game I have attended. The count probably numbers around 40 - 50, but is no longer growing.

large format wine bottles (after we've emptied them)
by closesttodome  (2018-08-16 13:41:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and other cool wine bottles. I guess wine in general, but that's more a function of joining new wine clubs (and cancelling others) every time we go to sonoma/napa. I don't really think of it as a collection, but I guess my insurance company does. Really it's just a bunch of wine i'm going to drink.

I have the last 10 years of New Orleans Jazzfest programs, and intend to get one every year until they throw dirt on me.

Magnets and christmas tree ornaments are what we typically grab on vacations.

If someone accused me of collecting flannel shirts they wouldn't be wrong, although it's not something i've done consciously.

Aspirationaly I'd like to say I collect skis, but really this just means keep adding to my quiver. I can think of good reasons for at least 3 more pairs, but my wife does not agree.

19th century Circus posters
by DBCooper  (2018-08-16 13:40:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have 3 so far, but I have bought my two favorites, so I dont think Ill add anything to the collection anytime soon.

It can be a little expensive too.

Being For The Benefit Of Mister Kite *
by PWK2  (2018-08-16 17:42:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any from Robinson's Circus? *
by elcortez01  (2018-08-16 15:32:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

barnum and bailey
by DBCooper  (2018-08-16 17:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I have seen other show posters as well.

Pixar movie posters and local art from traveling
by bengalbout  (2018-08-16 13:27:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Pixar posters because they look nice on the walls of my basement and local artist paintings from travel so I can remember the trip

Souls. *
by anthro_domer  (2018-08-16 13:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Praise the sun *
by goldenchild  (2018-08-16 13:28:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For display or private collection? *
by Irish Tool  (2018-08-16 13:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Barter. You'd be surprised what you can get for a soul. *
by anthro_domer  (2018-08-16 14:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The going rate in 1995 was 5 bucks. (link)
by smcdermo  (2018-08-16 15:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glühwein mugs from Christmas markets.
by ewillND  (2018-08-16 13:12:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My favorite is the Feuerzangenbowle from the Middle Ages Market at Odeonsplatz. The drink is essentially Glühwein in a terra cotta goblet, but then they set a sugar cube in a little spout on the side of the goblet, douse it with rum, set it on fire, and hand it to you. The pfand (deposit) was 10 Euro, but it was worth it (generally they run 2-3 Euro at most).

Etchings / black and white sketches of cities/architecture.
by Irish Tool  (2018-08-16 13:08:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've gotten them from almost every place I've been in Europe, plus one of Hemingway's House in Key West.

They're nothing special, but they look nice framed and go with any decor. They're oodles better than random art from a store that you have no connection to, and they're a reminder to travel.

Disappointment *
by NDBass  (2018-08-16 13:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shot glasses, in particular College shot glasses
by ndaero93  (2018-08-16 12:55:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I once envisioned having a wall of shot glasses like the old Macris had with the hats. I'd have them lined up by Conference or something. It was also something small to grab when visiting college campuses for various reasons.

Alas, I no longer have a bar area to display them, so they are mostly boxed up other than the few I use for their intended purpose. But I had probably 30-40 different schools.

I know it sounds stupid, but those rolled penny things.
by Wooderson  (2018-08-16 12:33:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're cheap ($0.50 + $0.01), and you usually only get them at the site, so it's a decent memento. Doesn't take up much space, zero cash value so no obsession over pricing guides or whatnot, and it's a nice little way to look back at the places I've been. I have zero space to amass junk I don't need, those fit nicely in a single ziplock bag in my dresser.

I’ve started this for my older son. *
by squid  (2018-08-17 04:41:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Magnets, for everywhere my wife and I have been together
by Brew City Domer  (2018-08-16 12:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

picked this up after several trips so not a complete set yet.

Ticket stubs going back to 1993. Stubhub and e-tickets have slowed the accumulation to a trickle.

Wine corks and bourbon corks.

$1 chip from every poker room I've played in. Kids have slowed this accumulation to a trickle as well.

fridge magnets of places I've visited (started 12 years ago)
by discNDav  (2018-08-17 07:54:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I line them up in geographic location.

We're a magnet home too *
by shea  (2018-08-16 15:00:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Christmas ornaments & corks
by ndtnguy  (2018-08-16 14:03:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We try to do that with Christmas ornaments, pick one up for every trip. Somehow we couldn't manage to find a Christmas tree ornament in Rome so we had to settle for a magnet.

I write the date on corks and toss them in an apothecary jar. Some of them are meaningless in retrospect, but sometimes it's fun to pull one out from a special occasion.

My wife and I collect magnets from travels, too. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2018-08-16 12:19:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coffee mugs from travels. Nice memory every day.
by squid  (2018-08-16 12:12:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though I have only been doing it for a few years. And I’m starting to get more than I want. I took the various European/German Christmas market mugs out of circulation except for Christmas so that gets me another couple of years but then I hope I will stop.

Same. Guests like em too *
by ShillelaghHugger  (2018-08-16 17:13:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I find coffee mugs to make great souvenirs for that very
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 12:16:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reason. That and Christmas ornaments.

Forgot about Christmas ornaments from travels. *
by squid  (2018-08-17 04:40:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Accumulate or collect?
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 11:51:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I accumulate books, of course, and I have every ticket stub to every concert and sporting event I've gone to since the early 1990s. I also have a habit of picking up matchbooks with bar and restaurant and hotel names on them, although those are few and far between these days, at least in this country.

I have a lot of ND memorabilia, although I wouldn't say I collect it.

The one thing that I do collect is American postage stamps.

Ticket stub collection is becoming more challenging
by garbageplate  (2018-08-16 11:50:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to save tickets from all sporting events, but a growing number of venues are going completely digital.

I have a lot of signed Notre Dame memorabilia.
by akaRonMexico  (2018-08-16 11:35:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also collect my old ticket stubs from sporting events. One day I plan to cover a table or bar top with them and then seal it with epoxy.

Kentucky Derby julep glasses and event ticket stubs
by Killian  (2018-08-16 11:30:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also have a small collection of decanters and bottles of bourbon.

We found a set of Kentucky Derby julep glasses from 1973
by LondonDomer  (2018-08-16 11:36:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the year Secretariat won the triple crown in our house when we moved in. Appear to be originals, but apparently not the misprint glasses from that year that are quite valuable. Pretty cool still!

Guitars.
by voidoid  (2018-08-16 11:30:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't matter that I don't need them. I have enough already. It's a compulsion.

This would be mine...if I didn’t want to stay married. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2018-08-16 21:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I were single
by voidoid  (2018-08-16 21:56:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have five times as many guitars.

Any that cannot be played? *
by PWK2  (2018-08-16 17:44:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't point! You've seen enough of that one. *
by voidoid  (2018-08-16 18:24:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My habit is worse: I trade guitars.
by AlanND90  (2018-08-16 14:06:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I currently (and at any given time) own only four guitars, but I have transiently owned dozens through the years. Oh to have that Gibson Les Paul goldtop or that Rickenbacker 360-12 back again . . .

One of my best friends does this.
by voidoid  (2018-08-16 14:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The "one that got away" is a 1960 blonde Jazzmaster, along with a couple 1960s Ventures Mosrites (which surprisingly are worth quite a bit of money.)

too true *
by rickenbacker330  (2018-08-16 12:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing except fat. (now doing Keto all I think of is carbs) *
by Inigomontoya  (2018-08-16 11:19:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post