Swarbrick stepping down in 2024 (link)
by RISteve (2023-06-08 11:03:56)

Is the new AD related to Lyra? *
by ndbob79  (2023-06-09 14:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His kids will eventually take over the Assoc AD positions. *
by caber  (2023-06-09 11:38:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND has become The Good Old Boys.
by SWPaDem  (2023-06-09 08:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob's Country Bunker is not far behind.

Hanging with the NBC and ACC boys will do that to you.

Swarby is setting up his spawn on the gravy train
by Jvan  (2023-06-09 01:18:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a major factor with this underwhelming replacement hire.

who could have possibly seen that coming? *
by jt  (2023-06-09 11:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have diversity groups
by tmr779  (2023-06-09 08:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been on this yet?

ND has a very good recent track record on hiring minority coaches for three highly visible sports - I do not know abt the record in hiring for high-level administrative University posts

naming the replacement at the same time the retirement is announced doesn't tell us who else was contacted abt or considered for the position. It doesn't seem like the writer at theathletic or other outlets has asked or is going to

from the ND release: "Bevacqua also shares Notre Dame’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. He and Troy Vincent, executive vice president of football operations for the NFL, serve as co-chairs of RISE, an alliance of major sports organizations, including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and the NCAA that promotes racial equality across the U.S. sports landscape."

replacing one white, male, law school graduate alum with another white, male, law school graduate alum whose previous role is president of your broadcast partner in this manner sounds more "back room hire " than a hire committed to "diversity, equity and inclusion"

Who cares?
by Pghdomer  (2023-06-09 10:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't care less about the DEI angle.

Care a lot about his ability to lead a football program.

we can embrace the genius of the and
by jt  (2023-06-09 12:13:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we can care that it was a thorough process that vetted numerous diverse candidates and we can care about his ability to lead a football program. These are not mutually exclusive concerns.

Rod West *
by ACross  (2023-06-09 12:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ties to Holtz = non starter *
by jt  (2023-06-09 14:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He played for Holtz
by crazychester  (2023-06-09 16:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but keep going

You don't say?
by jt  (2023-06-09 21:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would imagine that would give him ties to Holtz, having played for him and all.

I see your confusion
by jt  (2023-06-09 21:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when I say "non starter" that means that his ties to Holtz make him a non starter for the school as a candidate, not that he didn't start for Lou.

As an aside, it makes him a fantastic candidate in my book, and I don't recall how much he actually played (though I would imagine it is substantial). Would he deserve the job? No idea. Should he have been a candidate? Absolutely. Was he? I don't know, but I tend to doubt it (because of his ties to Holtz, IMO).

yes, i read it the wrong way
by crazychester  (2023-06-10 02:17:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my apologies.

I don't think he played a snap. but he made the team as a walk on which says a whole bunch. He may still be the worst athletic director in the world but his loyalty is not in question

yes, we agree *
by jt  (2023-06-10 11:11:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh *
by TAR  (2023-06-09 17:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. Nothing about this hire signals the university is
by Camarillo Brillo  (2023-06-09 07:00:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

serious about returning the football program to national championship status. Bevacqua will likely be a "go along to get along" AD, he won't rock the boat.

Swarmy - FIFY *
by ocmj  (2023-06-09 02:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarmy - FIFY *
by ocmj  (2023-06-09 02:18:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope jack gets a statue. With ladies glasses *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2023-06-08 22:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where's Triumph the Insult Dog when you need him? *
by Grace91  (2023-06-08 22:17:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given this timing and his statement that he has one more job
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 21:57:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

left in him in the industry, I think it likely that he unsuccessfully tried to become NCAA president and B1G commissioner, both of which were named in the last few months.

This Bevacqua guy is a ghost.
by shawno3  (2023-06-08 21:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weird that nobody here remembers him as a classmate (Raging Bull mentions having “dealt with” Bevacqua but I get the sense that was in the working world, not as a classmate).

Bevacqua was a year ahead of me at GULC and neither I nor nor any of the people I stay in touch with (including some of his classmates) remember him. On the bright side, that likely means that he wasn’t a degenerate drunk during law school.

I do - he lived in Dillon *
by baerga  (2023-06-09 08:59:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it was Sorin *
by ndmd89  (2023-06-09 12:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. Lived in basement with Matt Casey / Brenden Blockowitz
by TAR  (2023-06-09 14:29:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 91/92 year. Their room was across the hall from Hentrich's. Pete and Craig used to practice punting in the basement hallway.

So, there is hope? He can’t be all bad. *
by Dillon  (2023-06-09 10:25:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick in the transfer portal * *
by tulipox  (2023-06-08 21:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's been on his COVID year forever now *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 21:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why is alum status considered important for this job
by vivaflanner  (2023-06-08 19:04:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's so limiting to have to find an alum. I get the argument that an alum should "get the place", but Swarbrick is an alum. Wadsworth was an alum.

In the end, its a job not a calling. Need to find people who have a great track record of doing the AD job in demanding environments , if they are an alum then great.

Because Kevin White didn't get the place *
by KeoughCharles05  (2023-06-09 12:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that's a little unfair.
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-09 13:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there is a legitimate criticism is that he didn't understand the importance of ND football in the priorities of the university and may not have believed in the ability of ND football to play at a championship level. But I know plenty of alumni like Jack who also constantly discounted the pull of ND to make excuses for whatever failing coach was there.

His big missteps were in what I believe is the following order of importance (i) the 7-4-1 scheduling model, (ii) extending Davie, (iii) standing by Willingham after the 2004 season, (iv) failing to deliver Urban and (v) Weis's contract extension.

To counter ii-iv, he identified Gruden and had him at the finish line before administrative meddling botched that. That was a swing for the fences. And after he missed on Urban, I believe he paid Shanahan a visit. I don't know that he wasn't willing to go big in the way that Jack has never seemed to try. iv was obviously an immature panic move, but I do still kind of understand it. He was the hottest name in the country. There was legitimately going to be NFL buzz constantly surrounding him, and that could've hurt recruiting. (On the other hand, it could've helped recruiting.) And he may not have been close enough to trust Weis when he said he didn't want to bolt to the NFL without a meaningful agreement.

The biggest problem is the 7-4-1 model that both undervalued what ND was capable of doing against real reschedules and it alienated relationships with other teams from power conferences at a time when we needed to be preserving those relationships. It is the biggest reason why we felt vulnerable after the Big East shakeup. Now, however, I do question how much of that was him and how much was the pressure he felt to appease a BOT that I would argue no longer gets the place, or at least doesn't get the values that drew so many like me to once have the kind of devotion to the place that I frankly miss.

But in a bigger picture, he wasn't publicly a poor representative of the school. And he did show a commitment to making great hires in some sports. He hired a few good coaches who by all accounts were also good representatives of the school (Jackson, Brey, Clark). Clark was convinced to leave a top notch athletic department and was a big win. He identified a highly successful college coach and got him. Clark won a title. Jackson was pulled from his first NHL gig. Maybe the lockout had something to do with it. But he identified an elite college coach and got him. Brey was pretty much the profile of someone we were capable of getting at the time, and he elevated the program from the prior decade. White also raised funds extremely well to support many programs and lift them to a championship level during an arms race.

In hindsight, he was probably better than I gave him credit for when he left in 2008. I think he was hamstrung by his orders from above. That said, it's a fair argument that maybe we needed someone who got the importance of ND football to push back on certain initiatives at that time. However, an even worse result is when you hire an alumnus who doesn't push back on that BOT influence and who constantly makes excuses for performance. Thus, Swarbrick's tenures makes White's look a look better.

I think you're missing at least 2
by tf86  (2023-06-12 08:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(vi) His dalliance with the ACC which nearly put us in that conference as a football member; and (vii) his renegotiation of the original BCS deal.

Granted, (vi) did not achieve its intended results, so some may be tempted to place it in the "no harm, no foul" file. But I don't think White should get any credit for the NCAA bailing him out of his own stupidity. Moreover, it showed that he did not value independence, nor did he have any clue as to what helped make ND different. Further, he was willing to give up a cornerstone of the football program (very prematurely, at a minimum, as it turned out) to put us in a conference with which we had little history in common, and little if any institutional connection other than the fact that there are a number of good academic schools in the conference (which, by and large, do their student-athletes a disservice on the academic side of things.)

As for (vii), I'll willingly plead guilty to not knowing all of the facts, so it may very well be that White negotiated the best deal for ND that he could get. With that said, the perception that deal created was that: (a) White had an implicit, if not explicit, willingness to make ND a junior partner to the power conferences; and (b) given the provision that ND would get $1 million in years that it didn't qualify for the BCS, that he valued monetizing the brand over using the brand to produce excellence.

I've mentioned on here before that I'm pretty tight with a guy who played football at Tennessee back in the day. White's son is now their AD. When he was first hired, my exact words to my friend were, "I hope for your sake that he's a better AD for your school than his father was for my school."

White may have been a competent AD for about 85% of all Division 1 institutions. At Notre Dame, however, he was an unmitigated train wreck. Say what you will about Jack, at least he has kept ND football at least nominally independent. I doubt White would have been able to do the same, had he remained in office over this time period, or even that he would have been interested in doing so. On the other hand, if you want to argue that Jack has doubled down on some of White's other annoying tendencies, such as prioritizing monetizing the brand over utilizing it to promote excellence, you'll get no argument from me.

I thought about adding vii as well.
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-12 15:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seemed to be part of a trend of lacking confidence in the program so hedging bets to take guaranteed money.

Vi I would need more information on. I don't ever remember that as being a serious threat.

I would also vigorously dispute a position that it is an accomplishment that Jack "nominally" kept us independent by ceding five games and scheduling authority. I think that deal is a net drag on the program and puts us into a terrible rights agreement. That is not an accomplishment.

I'm not a fan of the ACC scheduling agreement
by tf86  (2023-06-13 08:32:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Five games was unreasonable. Four games would have been more than enough and I think we should have pushed for three. We probably had to cede some room on our schedule to get the placement for basketball and olympic sports. Then again, I would have been okay with the reconstituted Big East for that purpose.

As for Point vi, that came up after the ACC had admitted Virginia Tech and Miami and before BC joined. I heard someone refer to it as a "done deal." Reading between the lines, I think ND had a deal in principle with the ACC to join that conference. The deal provided for delayed entry for football (I had heard as long as ten years) and was contingent on the ACC being able to play a conference championship game in the interim. The ACC did in fact apply to the NCAA for permission to play a conference championship game with 11 members, and was turned down (note: this was in 2004, I think the answer probably would have been different ten years later.) I think that development invalidated the deal, and the two sides couldn't reach subsequent agreement as to the timing of ND's entry. Only after that did the ACC turn to BC.

But it’s not limiting at all
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 20:42:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I listed below there are 8 alums at top division 1 programs. I would bet that ND has the most alums as Div 1 ADs of any school in the country.

I think an alum is helpful, though certainly not the most important characteristic of an AD. But it helps and the experience of being a successful AD at a top Div 1 school is probably the most important.

I don’t mind if it was decided that the current AD at Duke, OSU, or UNC was not a fit, but they should have at least been interviewed and strongly considered.

Someone like say Gene Smith. *
by jymbo  (2023-06-08 20:21:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to disagree.
by Kali4niaND  (2023-06-08 20:37:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not a slam against Gene Smith, its just that the ND AD job is just so much more than any other AD job in college sports. Gene Smith doesn't have to worry about conference affiliations, tv contracts, etc. That's all handled by the B1G.

ND needs Gene Smith +. Is that guy Bevacqua? Who the hell knows? What I do think I know is that ND's fortunes, and continued ability to remain independent in football, is dependent on their ability to generate 'in the same ballpark' revenue for ND as B1G and SEC members take in. That's the 'plus' part of the job that your standard AD isn't qualified to take on. ND's AD has to be a conference of one commissioner as well. I guess we'll see.

This is overstated by quite a bit.
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-09 09:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scheduling demands are basically the same as any other school. We're locked into 8 games a year that are either controlled by the ACC or are the same weeks every year.

And the "worrying about conference affiliations" doesn't seem too difficult if the standard is to give all scheduling discretion to the ACC for too many games and voluntarily forfeit a bye in the playoff. There is little reason to think that this guy would be better than Gene Smith at these functions. And there's good reason to think Gene would be better, seeing as how he's a respected AD in his field--something Swarbrick never was according to the various industry polls that have been published during his tenure. Swarbrick couldn't get initial consensus for his proposal from the very conferences that it would benefit the most. I'd guess it wasn't until the threat of the SEC and Big Ten pulling away that brought everyone to a consensus.

Smith is not a credit to ND
by jt  (2023-06-09 01:12:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his public comments about a variety of things are embarrassing. I can only imagine how he acts behind the scenes.

Speaks like a meathead football player *
by Freight Train  (2023-06-09 15:24:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw Smith behind the scenes when he was a GA w/ '77...
by Scoop80  (2023-06-09 10:41:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team. I was not impressed. As an aside, he presumably was a frosh on '73 team, which means that he presumably owns 2 ND NC rings.

Yeah, and Savvy has done a terrible job of it. So ND let him
by Grace91  (2023-06-08 21:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

name his successor. Brilliant. All of the so-called "+" stuff can and should be farmed out to assistants and/or consultants.

Mr. Bevilaqua the gym teacher *
by Groundhog  (2023-06-08 16:51:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cantstandya *
by 01momanor  (2023-06-09 01:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was Mr. Heyman *
by Groundhog  (2023-06-09 23:11:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey Man! *
by trout  (2023-06-09 08:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a sin to waste his god given talent. *
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 21:16:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh of course *
by FatherNieuwland  (2023-06-08 19:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn't Bevaqua the kid Tony Soprano...
by Guilfordnd  (2023-06-08 16:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Big Pussy shot? How is he going to be the AD?

Impossible! Jack never stepped up in the first place *
by Frank Drebin  (2023-06-08 15:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Home run reply! *
by ndfamily  (2023-06-08 22:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Bevaqua commuting from Greenwich?
by Donegalnd73  (2023-06-08 15:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Jack is throwing in his South Bend digs as part of the deal!

Opening Athletic Dept office in NYC. *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 16:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The old footbaw coach said NY has good Delis. *
by Homeboy73  (2023-06-08 18:37:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume ND will bend over on the NBC contract negotiations *
by Nyirish08  (2023-06-08 15:00:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do you have against Ben Dover? *
by Homeboy73  (2023-06-08 18:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe, but having someone with inside knowledge is helpful
by Up_Top  (2023-06-08 16:52:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevacqua is going to know the business side of “the opposition” inside and out and have an established relationship with the other negotiator.

It’s a good position to be in walking into a negotiation.

Yes, but the new head of NBC Sports
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 21:38:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

May not care as much about an ND deal as his predecessor, who was bevaqua

Dick Ebersol isn't walking through that door...
by Nyirish08  (2023-06-09 10:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The CFO of NBC Sports figured her qualified kid would get in two cycles ago. Great grades, sports, only place he wanted to go in the world was ND. Flat out rejected. Her husband is on the sales side at NBC and I think they've picked up a bit of dislike for the place. She is handling most of the numbers side of that negotiation.
"I go and hire Jack's daughter for a sought after position and he can't even find room in a class of 2000 for my son who was actually qualified."

It could be my imagination, but it seems like admissions
by 1978Irish  (2023-06-09 14:02:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is even more arbitrary these days.

Definitely true
by Up_Top  (2023-06-08 22:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But if he does, ND will have direct intel on NBC’s economics which is a big advantage in a negotiation.

What's the compelling difference between Swarbrick's resume
by 105Marquette  (2023-06-08 14:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...when he was hired and Bevacqua's resume now?
Both are alums.
Both are attorneys.
Both have extensive experience in sports-related business.
Neither have any experience in running an athletic department at any level.

I agree with posts below that this is a "manage the brand and maximize revenue" hire.

The sports-related businesses that Baklava has run
by Nut  (2023-06-08 14:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are of a significantly different magnitude than Jack's. I'm not saying that will translate to anything as an AD, but I know folks who have worked with and for Bevacqua and they all say very positive things.

Well, presumably Bevacqua wasn't counseling orgs w/ rampant,
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 16:52:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ongoing child sex abuse. So he has that going for him over Swarthout.

But has he won the flying wedge? *
by airborneirish  (2023-06-08 18:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I forgot about that. LOL. *
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 21:33:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll concede that he left a mark *
by graNDfan  (2023-06-08 14:20:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. A skid mark *
by goirish89  (2023-06-08 14:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent !!! *
by FishNMash  (2023-06-08 15:17:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did Moose get to choose his successor?
by Scoop80  (2023-06-08 13:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about Corrigan? My recollection is that they didn't get to do so.

I'd be curious as to how often ND has let any senior official in any post choose his/her successor.

At the end of the day, the problem isn't w/ our favorite weather forecaster/concert promoter/nepotist. The problem is with the CSC who ceded so much authority to the Savvy one.

The problem is that the BoF and BoT have failed and continue
by Grace91  (2023-06-08 14:56:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to fail in their responsibilities. The University can and should be so much better, in all aspects. They're content with mediocrity in all things, as long as the revenue streams continue. It's disappointing and sickening. Purge them all.

When was the last time that ND led the way, in anything (fencing and lax aside, and I'm looking at everything, much broader than sporting achievements)? It has to go back to Hesburgh. That's over 30 years ago. Great job, ND.

Whatever you do, don't cross the revenue streams. *
by SWPaDem  (2023-06-08 15:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awful Announcing has a take on this announcement.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-06-08 13:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suggest reading the whole piece, but here's one excerpt:

The other critical upcoming decision for Notre Dame is going to be about continuing with football independence or joining a conference. Under Swarbrick, that independence has been a key priority, and there’s no imminent indication of it changing. But the shifting conference realignment landscape has those discussions resurfacing a lot lately. The Big Ten reportedly has a specific escalator clause for Notre Dame, and if that conference continues to gain strength, that could be an option.

And while it looks less attractive at the moment, the ACC may be getting real desperate to try and add Notre Dame in football. That conference is falling further and further behind in media revenue, and with their current TV deals locked in through 2036, adding Notre Dame is one of the few things that could really improve their situation. And their recent some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others decision on revenue splits to try and appease some prominent upset members indicates some movement on not having to treat all schools the same, which could be key for Notre Dame.

The ACC in full is not an option.
by gordonbombay  (2023-06-08 13:17:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate everything about what the B1G and SEC are doing to college football, but the fact of the matter is everyone not playing against teams from those leagues going forward is probably going to be treated as second-class when it comes to the CFP, recruiting, all of it. ND cannot, and I believe will not, tie themselves to that league given that knowledge.

On the plus side, he didn't choose 1 of his kids...
by Scoop80  (2023-06-08 13:04:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to succeed him. Perhaps one of them will get an Asst. Dir. of Athletics position to be groomed for future promotion.

Instead of considering an alum w/ AD experience, ND hires a TV exec alum (at a network where Savvy's daughter is a VP Marketing).

The royal houses of Europe in the early 20th century were less inbred than ND is now.

As a famous band once sang...
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-06-08 15:35:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a diehard Who fanatic--I certainly won't be fooled by...
by Scoop80  (2023-06-08 16:00:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this changing of the guard.

2 sectionmates & I took the S. Shore in to see the Who at the International Amphitheater in 12/79.

I was at that show, too
by Son of Galway  (2023-06-08 23:51:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I recall, it was about a week after the tragedy at the Cincinnati show, where a bunch of people got trampled to death, rushing toward their open seating.

I couldn’t hear right for about another week after that show. I remember they had a spectacular flash explosion at the beginning of Sparks, I think. I think it, and the noise it made, were bigger than expected.

Meet the new boss.... *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2023-06-08 16:47:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't even get to speculate on his replacement,
by SWPaDem  (2023-06-08 12:47:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What fun is that? I would have voted for Seven of Nine. Former assimilators are in short supply.

Pete Drinkwater? *
by Stonebreaker9  (2023-06-08 13:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarb’s passing down the granny glasses? *
by 512  (2023-06-08 12:46:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually like this hire
by melanzana  (2023-06-08 12:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it helps Notre Dame stay independent.

Yes, I would have preferred an experienced AD. Allen Greene would have been my first interview.

But like it or not, TV money is the name of the game. And the Notre Dame AD is just about on par with the conference commissioners. We need someone who knows the industry, knows the people in the industry and can keep Notre Dame well-positioned for independence.

Kevin White brought Bernard Muir (current Stanford AD), Jim Phillips (current ACC commissioner) and Sandy Barbour (former Penn State AD) with him to Notre Dame.

Hopefully, Bevacqua does something similar because Swarbrick did the opposite. He didn't bring anyone good and drove off good people. The athletic department needs to be rebuilt.

Swarbrick has been the worst Notre Dame AD ever, and his days are finally almost over.

This is a happy day.

Now theres a fucking surprise *
by ACross  (2023-06-09 01:52:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Incestuous relationships with TV vendors does not maximize
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 12:51:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

TV money.

No kidding
by gordonbombay  (2023-06-08 13:18:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about hiring an NBC person, effectively nuking ND's leverage to go anywhere else, makes this seem like a move that will maximize ND's TV money?

Are you serious? Anything with jacks imprimatur is tainted *
by airborneirish  (2023-06-08 12:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add "Jack's Taint" to the Random Handle Generator
by 88_92WSND  (2023-06-09 13:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

though lord knows I could have gone a life time without thinking such things.

For all my skepticism...............
by Ty Webb  (2023-06-08 15:09:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The possibility does exist that this guy could actually be a much better AD than Jack. At least I am trying to convince myself this is true.

Granted, the percentage tied to that possibility isn't exactly high.

Second worst
by tf86  (2023-06-08 12:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still rank EBMB below him. If EBMB had gotten his wish, we'd be working on Year 10 as a member of the ACC for football by now.

It is very fortunate we never joined the ACC and that awful
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-06-08 13:01:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

TV contract.

Literally an apprentice. Joke. *
by airborneirish  (2023-06-08 12:32:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duke, OSU, UNC, Purdue, Tennessee, NC State
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 12:25:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Marquette all have ND alums as Athletic Directors (perhaps there are others, and thanks to ndzippy below for adding to the list)

Amazing that it does not appear that any were considered.

Its not like we are talking about ADs at John Carroll University either.

Edit, Mississippi AD too

Benchwarmers-Interview with PB three years ago
by RJD  (2023-06-08 12:17:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What poor schmucks donation went for the rights to Gershwin
by Limbosmullet  (2023-06-08 22:29:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rhapsody in blue isn’t cheap to play on any media , but of course jack okayed it for his retirement opus video .. some poor nd donor paid for the 20 seconds … jack sure used all of it

Rhapsody in Blue is in the public domain
by RJD  (2023-06-09 10:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like Sawabuck jumped on it:

"George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue,” which he wrote and debuted in 1924, was a daring melding of jazz with classical music. In the years since, the lush, vibrant composition has become an instantly recognizable classic of American music.

And since New Year’s Day, it has belonged to everyone. For the first time in 96 years, it may be performed or recorded for free, without special permission or other requirements, by any community group that wants to, or by any orchestra, or by any aspiring piano player who simply wants to post a version on YouTube. Filmmakers can use it too, and, yes, every advertising company."

So I won't get an interview ?
by drunkenmick  (2023-06-08 12:15:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From 2007-2010 my fantasy teams won 10 or more games. This is Bullshit! I wasted 15 minutes of my life last night polishing my resume. Im OUT.

No need for any more drunken micks on campus
by jt  (2023-06-08 13:51:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Merry Christmas! Shitter's full

Too bad O'Leary didn't take that extra 15 minutes to look
by NW Ohio Irish  (2023-06-08 13:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his over.

I'm just glad Jack will be around to see his dream of
by Carlos Huerta  (2023-06-08 12:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bringing Tennessee St. to campus realized.

This is not a hire intended for success in athletics.
by OCND  (2023-06-08 12:13:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a hire designed to guide the business and enhance “the brand.”

Sounds like the result of another extensive search
by acrossdmiddle  (2023-06-08 12:05:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good Lord ND is insular and defaults to the low-hanging fruit every chance they get.

Experienced AD would've been preferable, but no doubt that
by Freight Train  (2023-06-08 11:54:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevacqua > Swarbrick. Bevacqua, an attorney by trade, has run several organizations with real people, real budgets and real shareholders. Swarbrick was a transaction attorney.

Attorneys are generally good advisors on legal strategies but they are almost universally horrible leaders of organizations. Bevacqua bucked that trend and he proved that elsewhere. Swarbrick did not.

I'm not saying Bevacqua would be better than any number of experienced ADs. He's a disappointing choice to be sure, but there's every reason to believe he'd be a step-up from the low bar that was Swarbrick. He's actually run businesses.

P.S. Bevacqua being the successor was foreseeable for several years. Below is just one of many video interviews I've seen between Swarbrick and Bevacqua. There's another one somewhere that was conducted at the top of the Hesburgh Library or the Stadium Press Box within the last 2-3 years.

He also had a *short* stint as a walk on punter under Holtz
by lespaulkevin  (2023-06-08 15:26:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The South Bend Tribune reported that he walked onto the team in spring of 1992, suffered an injury in the fall of 1992 that resulted in him never seeing any playing time, and graduated in 1993. It was short but hopefully that means he would give at least half a shit about football.

Just like Malloy invested in the basketball program. *
by Irish72  (2023-06-08 15:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm assuming he didn't protect child abusers.
by NDBass  (2023-06-08 12:48:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a plus.

I wonder if the NBC Sports contract will be renewed before
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-06-08 12:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick steps down, but whether before or after, it's an odd Chinese wall-type scenario in which we have someone stepping from one side to the other while we are negotiating the contract.

There seems to be a conflict of interest but am open to other explanations.

Oh, it REEKS of conflict, but I'm looking for silver lining *
by Freight Train  (2023-06-08 12:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what?
by bsuryn  (2023-06-08 11:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Jack Swarbrick as he led Notre Dame to unprecedented success over the past 15 years" .

I don't think you're going to enjoy the next seven plus
by Carlos Huerta  (2023-06-08 14:20:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

months. Today is just the start of a very long victory lap.

As long as this is played at every stop of the victory tour
by Grace91  (2023-06-08 19:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

/ lap, ok.

There's still time left in '23 to fire and excommunicate *
by lespaulkevin  (2023-06-08 11:50:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't be more unctuous and unlikable than Swarthout, so
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 11:47:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is that. But, yeah, no shortage of top tier ND alum ADs out there, like, oh, the National Champion lacrosse coach's brother for instance.

How much influence did Jack have in this selection?
by Ty Webb  (2023-06-08 11:48:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He should have had zero.

Sounds from the article like he basically chose him.
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 11:51:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Describes a series of meetings between he, Jack, and Fr. J. I'm guessing Jack was doing the main vetting and recommending to Fr. J.

And what do you know, he's basically a clone of Jack, down to the law degree from another school and zero experience in an athletic department.

Pete is a good guy. I agree with the skepticism and concern
by RagingBull  (2023-06-08 12:28:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over incestuousness. I would have preferred an AD with actual AD experience. But to respond to the point of him being a clone of Swarbrick, I don't think that's the case. Maybe on paper but I've dealt with both people and I don't think they are the same.

Can't be more unlikable than Swarby. *
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 14:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's probably pumped that he has a low bar to clear
by Ty Webb  (2023-06-08 15:08:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best time for a promotion is when you are replacing a guy no one liked.

Their resumes are not all that similar
by Boston Domer  (2023-06-08 13:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They both worked as in-house counsel for national sports organizations (gymnastics and USGA respectively), but Bevacqua actually worked his way up internally, then moved on to CAA and the PGA of America. All of those jobs plus NBC were far more noteworthy than the Indy sports commission.

Agreed *
by MrE  (2023-06-09 10:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus
by HTownND  (2023-06-08 12:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's going to get a year's apprenticeship sipping Whistle Pig and killing kids via negligence with high powered equipment from the master weatherman and Director of Athletics

POTD *
by Scoop80  (2023-06-08 12:56:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NBC selected him and it was approved by ND. *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 12:02:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, it's hard not to consider the possibility. . . . *
by VaDblDmr  (2023-06-08 14:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

did Pete B. hire Swarbrick's daughter?
by MrE  (2023-06-08 11:58:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and more importantly, is he related to HOF snub Kurt Bevacqua?

Well, Kurt Bevacqua did win
by tf86  (2023-06-08 12:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bubble gum bubble blowing contest one year, if memory serves.

One of the great baseball cards of all-time. Your mastery
by RagingBull  (2023-06-08 12:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of trivia is admirable.

What's not to love.
by Cash  (2023-06-08 11:56:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you and I are just peons. I’m sure we’re just unsophisticated, naive, and bereft of the skills and knowledge it takes to discern why this is all so wonderful.

Cash

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman.
by Revue Party  (2023-06-08 14:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But does he wear lady glasses? *
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-08 11:55:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he didnt get the 30 % discount for mentioning Kramer
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 12:36:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember that night I found you at Dinky Donuts? You were all hopped up on cinnamon swirls! They wouldn't serve you anymore! You wouldn't even have any teeth if it wasn't for me taking you over to Joe's fruit stand and stuff a cantaloupe down your throat! So much for gratitude...

Breaking news: ND's Swarbrick to clean house before leaving
by MrE  (2023-06-08 12:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love it. *
by shawno3  (2023-06-08 12:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My assumption is that it was his call/recommendation.
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 11:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that he wanted Jenkins to be able to make the hire precisely because he could direct that hire.

Well, in fairness, they had so little time.....
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-08 11:54:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure when Jack is formally stepping down in 2024, but there are only 7 months left in 2023. Who could run a competent search in just 7 months? And when you have a nice, incestuous, low hanging fruit sitting right there, why would you pass on the chance to give an up and comer a chance to learn on the job.

Another step on the road to my loss of interest in ND Football.

Looks like we will have a new TV deal with NBC Sports....
by Wolfetone  (2023-06-08 11:45:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He would probably know enough about BIG,having worked on their NBC deal,
to move ND there if the time comes from the BOT.....

Unremarkable. Glowing article. *
by Inigomontoya  (2023-06-08 11:37:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Am I the only one...
by Wass  (2023-06-08 11:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...who is more than a little...suspicious...skeptical...overly cautious about an NBC executive with no experience running a major athletic program, especially from a corp that said school has had long standing TV ties with?? The professionalization (yeah, I probably made up this word) and corporatization of college sports is at its next step. Hire a guy who you think will make money, not necessarily produce a winning program. Make money selling a product first, winning, well, that would be nice but not a primary goal.

Nope. You’re not *
by IrishLep  (2023-06-08 20:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pretty sure you aren't *
by jt  (2023-06-08 12:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Knowing how to hire and fire coaches is clearly not
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 12:33:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A key part of the AD job at ND. That is how Swarbrick viewed it and apparently that is the prevailing view at the top of ND. Winning on the field is assumed and brand management, TV and legal expertise is what is needed. We are bigger than hiring experienced, successful practioners in their field. That approach is more for hiring Deans and Professors and Facilities Managers (and hopefully coaches).

How many football coaches has Bevacqua hired? *
by CJC  (2023-06-08 12:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are not. *
by Cash  (2023-06-08 11:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who hired Swarbrick's daughter? *
by SEE  (2023-06-08 12:03:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's on und.com too (link)
by pmoose  (2023-06-08 11:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What comes next?
by Brahms  (2023-06-08 11:09:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I fear our next national search results in the promotion of "safe pair of hands in negotiating OC and OL coach contracts" Powlus.

Succeeded by NBC Sports Group chairman Pete Bevacqua
by mocopdx  (2023-06-08 11:08:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevacqua grew up in Bedford, New York. He began playing golf at a young age with his father, Arthur Bevacqua, a dentist. He attended Brunswick School in nearby Greenwich, Connecticut where he was valedictorian, senior class president and an all-league player in football, basketball and golf.[3] He began caddying at the Bedford Golf and Tennis Club at age 10, training under head pro Walt Ronan, and continued to work summers there as a caddie and pro shop manager while attending the University of Notre Dame. He was also a walk-on punter for head football coach Lou Holtz at Notre Dame, where he graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor's degree in English in 1993.[4] He then earned a Juris Doctor from Georgetown University, graduating cum laude in 1997.

Bevacqua and his wife, Tiffany, have one daughter and two sons.

Bevacqua began his professional career as a legal associate at Davis Polk and Wardwell LLP in New York City before joining the United States Golf Association (USGA) in 2001. He first served as the USGA's in-house counsel for two years. He was then promoted to USGA's first-ever managing director of the U.S. Open. In 2009, Bevacqua was appointed as the USGA's chief business officer. Bevacqua left USGA for CAA Sports three years later, in 2012, where he served as Global Head of Golf. He was appointed as the CEO of the PGA in fall 2012. He subsequently signed to two contract extensions, one in November 2013 and another in November 2017, which was due to carry him through 2024.[2]

In October 2013, Bevacqua successfully negotiated a 15-year media rights extension through 2030 with NBC Sports for the Ryder Cup, Senior PGA Championship and PGA Professional Championship. In 2014, the PGA designed and implemented a long-term strategic plan that focused on two main goals: to better serve PGA members and to increase public interest in golf. Alan Shipnuck of Golf.com described Bevacqua's vision as, "... growing the game to create more opportunities for PGA pros, embracing new technology to make the membership more relevant, and improving communication with the national headquarters to make the pros feel more valued".[4] Bevacqua was appointed as the World Golf Foundation Board of Directors' Chairman in 2015. In that role he helped the International Golf Federation reinstate golf in the Olympics, beginning with the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. In August 2017, Bevacqua announced that, beginning in 2019, the PGA Championship would be conducted annually in May for the first time in 70 years.[5]

Comcast NBCUniversal promoted Bevacqua to chairman, NBC Sports in September 2020. He is NBC Sports' third chairman. He oversees NBC Sports’ collection of assets and platforms including NBC Sports, NBC Olympics, Golf Channel, NBC Sports Regional Networks, NBC Sports Radio, NBC Sports Digital, and two transactional sports businesses, GolfNow and SportsEngine.

Together with his team, Bevacqua completed numerous key rights agreements. In August 2022, NBCUniversal and the Big Ten Conference reached a 7-year agreement for NBC and Peacock to become the exclusive home of Big Ten Saturday Night football, beginning in 2023. The new agreement also includes eight additional Big Ten Football games each season, exclusively on Peacock, as well as dozens of men’s and women’s basketball games, Olympic sports, golf and more. In March 2021, NBCUniversal and the NFL agreed to an 11-year extension and expansion for NBC Sports to continue as the home of Sunday Night Football, primetime television’s No. 1 show for an unprecedented 11 consecutive years. The deal also includes live coverage of every game by Peacock and Telemundo Deportes for the first time. In addition, NBCUniversal re-acquired the complete U.S. media rights for all United States Golf Association championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open, through 2026; agreed to a nine-year extension of the company’s PGA TOUR rights; secured a new Sunday night NFL Wild Card playoff game, which was presented live across NBC, Telemundo, and Peacock in January 2021; agreed to a six-year extension with Premier League through 2028, and established NBCUniversal’s multi-year partnership with PointsBet, making PointsBet the official sports betting partner of NBC Sports. Bevacqua oversaw NBC Sports' historic coverage of the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics and 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. [6]

A former SportsBusiness Journal “Forty Under 40” Award recipient in 2009, Bevacqua was honored with the prestigious “Sports Leadership Award” by the March of Dimes in November 2016.

He is a board member of RISE, an alliance of sports organizations that promotes racial equality. Bevacqua is also on the board of directors of Brunswick School in Greenwich, CT

Bevacqua is a Member of the Board of Visitors with the Georgetown University Law Center.

Bevacqua couldn’t hit water if he fell out of an f’ing boat
by rumrunner  (2023-06-08 12:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So says Tommy Lasorda.

Edit: I see THR beat me to this.

wasn't there a religious Cardinal with that name? *
by discNDav  (2023-06-08 12:08:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevilacqua...Archdiocese of Philadelphia *
by ndslc  (2023-06-08 13:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the more incestuous relationships in 2nd tier sports *
by Nyirish08  (2023-06-08 11:56:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevacqua? The big mouth? NSFW (link)
by The Holtz Room  (2023-06-08 11:40:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like Jimmy Dunne might have been involved *
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 11:17:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe we'll get some of the Saudi investment, too. *
by statsdomer  (2023-06-08 11:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mosque minarets to be built on Stadium for calls to prayer
by Frank Drebin  (2023-06-08 11:56:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Team chaplain to be replaced by a Team Imam

The Halal meats would be an upgrade *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 12:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fat Eddie will be handing out prayer rugs instead of towels *
by Frank Drebin  (2023-06-08 12:22:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assuming he's not thrown off Washington Hall roof first *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 12:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Part of our diversity and ecumenical outreach initiatives *
by Raoul  (2023-06-08 11:39:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shamrock game in Riyadh? *
by Inigomontoya  (2023-06-08 11:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would seem to indicate
by treisele  (2023-06-08 11:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That the NBC contract will be renewed, hopefully with more favorable financial terms in the neighborhood of the revenue sharing Big 10 and SEC schools get for their TV contracts.

Hopefully he knows NBCs final number
by jbrown_9999  (2023-06-08 11:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and gets at least that for next deal with NBC (or someone else)

Not necessarily, he'll just know the ins/outs of negotiating
by ndgenius  (2023-06-08 11:23:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a media deal. We could end up on YouTube or something like that but this new guy will know how to navigate the landscape which besides hiring coaches is the absolute most important thing with the job because it will bring in the most money. That said, I'm pretty confident it will remain with NBC but we'll see what happens.

This makes it significantly more likely it will be with NBC
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 11:48:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than the likelihood prior to this announcement. Which was already extremely high. So this all but guarantees it.

It also sheds light into Jack's playoff proposal. Rather than previously viewing it as an unnecessary concession, I would now venture to guess Jack actually preferred being ineligible for a first-round bye because of the opportunity to earn additional revenue from the disadvantage posed by an additional game.

Of course we could still make a change of media partner.
by treisele  (2023-06-08 11:45:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I would assume we’re not planning to transition the current Chairman of NBC Sports away in anticipation of a potential adversarial role with our current media partner. He’ll likely negotiate the deal over the next 18 months and I would bet it will be done before he officially takes over as AD.

Well, he has no experience running an athletic Dept,
by dignan  (2023-06-08 11:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does not have a burning desire to be an athletic director, only to be the athletic director at ND, and represents sn inherent conflict of interest / crony hire due to his current employment by NBC sports.

In other words, right out of central casting for a ND AD hire.

He’s an apprentice. This is insulting.
by airborneirish  (2023-06-08 12:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This program is the worst run of anything ever. I can’t believe it. May as well have hired Jason sudakis.

Correct. But it's also self-serving to puff Jack's chest
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 12:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about how unique of a job he has and how no one else could be prepared for it.

To continue banging the drum, until there is a wholesale
by Grace91  (2023-06-08 11:30:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

purge from the Board of Fellows(?) on down, nothing will change. We're a goddamned mess and a joke, but that's just how those in charge like it. F*ck them.

Affirms ND's commitment to be a media content provider
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 11:21:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as its primary purpose. I also noted the continued tradition of treating partnership interests as paramount.

Content is the name of the game, baby *
by ndzippy  (2023-06-08 14:19:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Burning desire to be an athletic director"
by tcob  (2023-06-08 11:16:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seems like kind of an odd criterion to optimize for.

In fairness
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 11:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are zero ND alums currently working and succeeding as ADs at other top Division 1 schools

Indeed.
by Nitschke  (2023-06-09 12:46:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look at the crappy state of Marquette U basketball.

Incorrect *
by ACross  (2023-06-08 11:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Batteries. *
by daviehamsufferer97  (2023-06-08 12:06:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not good at reading sarcasm I see *
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 12:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would a VP & Dir of Intercollegiate Athletics count? (link)
by mjdomer  (2023-06-08 11:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stan is now at the NCAA *
by Vermin96  (2023-06-08 11:50:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We love OJT.
by Revue Party  (2023-06-08 11:31:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's bizarre.

Did you mean to exclude Danny White (Tennessee)?
by MobileIrish  (2023-06-08 11:21:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess it depends on the definition of success. It looks like he is a graduate.

I believe there are like 6 or 7
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 12:06:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duke
Tennessee
NC State
Ohio State
Marquette

to name a few off top of my head

Also UNC and Purdue *
by ndzippy  (2023-06-08 12:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone associated with UNC is disqualified. *
by KeoughCharles05  (2023-06-09 12:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thanks, thats 7 programs
by DBCooper  (2023-06-08 12:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and it doesnt look like any were ever in the running.

Pretty sure he was being facetious. *
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-08 11:23:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh. *
by MobileIrish  (2023-06-08 11:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post