"Great" bands/singers you dislike.
by Bruno95 (2019-05-09 11:20:51)

A few thoughts:

1. Each of the following has made an undeniable impact on culture, and I do not consider any of them to be "shit" or to "suck." I simply don't like them that much.

2. Corollary: to include any of them, they must first reasonably qualify as a great band. This doesn't have to be limited to a ten-band pantheon, but they have to arguably be great. Mumford and Sons has no place here.

With that, great bands or artists I don't like.

Fleetwood Mac
The Clash
Nirvana
Steely Dan
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
David Bowie
The Beach Boys
The Beastie Boys
The Kinks
Stevie Wonder

Looks Like I Can Still...
by Stebbins  (2019-05-10 08:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Listen to Led Zeppelin without shame. Thanks BR Board.

The Nose Pickers. It may sound like boogie but it's snot. *
by ArasEra  (2019-05-10 00:40:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s an awful lot of goddamn stupid in thread.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-09 23:47:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beatles? Springsteen? Dylan? The Stones? The Who? Neil Young? The Dead? Hendrix? Credence?

You assholes might as well just deny the entire existence of rock-n-roll.

Boards Ops should just flush this entire shit pile. What a fucking waste of internet bandwidth.

PS - Upon further reflection, OK...I’ll give you Elton John.

I'm with you. Stinking pike of turd.
by ANthro_domer  (2019-05-10 03:53:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If anyone under 60 claims they don't like the Beatles, I automatically assume they are morons. They are fundamental.

I just really don't understand people.

Everyone under 60 was nine years old or younger
by Manor76  (2019-05-10 13:44:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when the Beatles broke up. I think for a lot of us, part of liking the Beatles is having been parked in front of a television when they performed on the Ed Sullivan show in February of 1964.

Yeah...well I may have overreacted just a tad.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-10 08:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know Bruno didn’t intend for the thread to be an indictment against any particular band or performer, but when I saw all of those essentials showing up in the responses, man, something about it really irked me. But, hey, I’ll get over it.

“Later” Elton
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-10 00:12:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other than that nit, I agree with you.

Smashing Pumpkins *
by ej  (2019-05-09 19:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about Mozart? (link)
by Manor76  (2019-05-09 18:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Billy Joel, Springsteen, Boston, later U2 and Elton John *
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-05-09 18:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I dislike Blues Traveler...though they don’t qualify as grea *
by Irishrock  (2019-05-09 18:00:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every 80s hair band. Dylan. Bright Eyes. *
by ShillelaghHugger  (2019-05-09 17:05:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Band, Warren Zevon, Creedence.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-05-09 14:43:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are all bands I am supposed to like, and I've played Creedence and Band covers as much as anyone.

I just don't find the stuff interesting.

Marching, USC and Michigan *
by Final_Flanner  (2019-05-09 14:30:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The poster asked for "great" bands
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 14:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In no list anywhere can Michigan be considered great.

I assumed he was using ironic quotation marks *
by Final_Flanner  (2019-05-09 14:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stevie Nicks. Like nails on a chalkboard. *
by OCND  (2019-05-09 14:14:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second *
by Nyirish08  (2019-05-09 15:38:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh yeah... and Guns and Roses
by gozer  (2019-05-09 14:10:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually like the music, but then they always ruin it by letting axel “sing”

And the lyrics are stupid, too. The riffs are catchy though.

Agree on this! Very overrated *
by drmurray  (2019-05-09 17:15:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-05-09 14:08:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Now, I wouldn't say I'm an unadorned fan of any band, but I can't think of one that would be considered "great" under some reasonable criteria that I don't find interesting to some extent, or whose music I don't listen to every so often. I'll give and example or so, below.

Fleetwood Mac, "I Don't Want to Know," Rumours.

This song has a nicely developed thematic element--the half cadence. A half cadence is when you have a musical phrase in the "tonic" (the key of the song), like C major, but the phrase, instead of closing back on C, closes on G, the "dominant." The theory people call this a half-cadence; it feels like you need to continue.

An example of a song with full cadences is "My Country, 'Tis of Thee," where the first phrase starts on the tonic, let's say C major, and then at the end of the first phrase, "...of thee I sing," cadences back on the tonic.

An example of a song with a half cadence dividing a phrase is in "Yankee Doodle." The first few measures, "Yankee Doodle went to town a-riding on his po-ny..." end on a half cadence (dominant harmony, melodic leading tone); the next few measures then come back to the tonic: "...stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni."

In "I Don't Want to Know," Stevie Nicks based the music on a whole series of one half cadence after another. This is most evident in the repeated series of progressions starting at 0:43 that build and build to the re-entrance of the main tune at 1:03 (and again at 1:43 with the re-entrance at 2:14). The song is in the key of B major; each of these repeated bits ends with the bass on a high F#, which is the dominant of B major. Musically these series are further propelled by a dominant pedal (the repeated high-sounding guitar note on the same pitch), tying the concept together.

But this half-cadence idea also permeates the main tune--it never ends on the tonic harmony until the very end of the song (but even then, the vocals are singing "I don't want to kno-ow" on the dominant note, F#).

A nice framing device is the repetition of the characteristic guitar chord progression from the intro as an "outro."

Overlaying the musical structure--the bones of the song--is a nice, clean vocal harmonization supported by a competently arranged rhythmic arrangement of drums, bass, and guitar. It's a very, very well constructed song that also has an attractive sound; but the secret to its success, I think, is that half-cadence idea that makes the listener feel like it's moving somewhere but never getting there until the last second.

Stevie Wonder, "Sir Duke," Songs in the Key of Life.

This is a tribute to Duke Ellington. It starts with major chord arpeggios in the brass that sound just like the opening of symphonies written in about 1760 by the so-called Mannheim Symphonists, who had a lot of influence on Mozart's orchestral style. This instrumental introduction is a harbinger of a structural device Wonder used to organize the song, that is, to have repeated instrumental breaks instead of just one bridge, which is more typical in a pop song. The repeated instrumental breaks help anchor the piece, which uses very complex harmonic progressions and needs that periodic re-centering.

There are different styles in this piece, some going back to Ellington, with a swing feel in the rhythm section but an R&B vibe in the vocals. The instrumental break at 1:06 and 2:29 is hard to play correctly, and remind me of the similar instrumental riff in Chick Corea's "Spain." There is a lot of jazz style with syncopations (off-the-beat entrances) and abundant chord substitutions (using some "foreign" chord for what you'd typically expect). And as in almost every modern pop song, it's held together by a locked-in drum-and-bass pattern that is like those people-mover conveyors at O'Hare, carrying everything above it along.

Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen *
by bmef  (2019-05-09 14:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buffett and Bruce. And I've gone to a concert for the former *
by Fenian Man  (2019-05-09 13:54:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sames *
by Brahms  (2019-05-09 18:19:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sames *
by Brahms  (2019-05-09 18:18:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Garth Brooks, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Dixie Chicks
by 84david  (2019-05-09 13:53:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, the Good Ol Boys.

The Beatles. Rush. And of course, Dave Matthews *
by bbill99  (2019-05-09 13:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bon Jovi *
by RIBS  (2019-05-09 13:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreeance *
by maniactranspodriver  (2019-05-09 14:38:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neil Young, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-05-09 13:25:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best Springsteen songs
by gozer  (2019-05-09 13:24:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are the Manfred Mann version of “Blinded by the Light” (Bruce’s version sounds like his face is paralyzed and the words are just falling out of his mouth) and that song that’s actually by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band that I used to think was by Springsteen.

And Born to Run is ok.

The Band; Bob Dylan; Beach Boys, I'd include D Matthews but
by discNDav  (2019-05-09 13:21:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he sucks, hate his voice.

The Surreal McCoys
by Killian  (2019-05-09 13:20:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and U2

Are you Amish?
by JC_90_94  (2019-05-09 15:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cause that could be the only explanation for including the Surreals!

Rolling Stones and The Beatles are my top 2 *
by IrishLep  (2019-05-09 13:18:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stones as default 'shitty bar jukebox filler' just kills me
by ndlarryj  (2019-05-09 23:37:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WOO WOO

Are you an alien, or from Michigan? *
by drmurray  (2019-05-09 13:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same thing *
by sprack  (2019-05-09 14:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That remark is so disrespectful to aliens. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-09 14:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed, but regarding these Beatle haters
by sprack  (2019-05-09 14:33:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A mentality I don't understand, but I guess there are people who can't stand Beethoven and Mozart either - which Beatles? The band's output changed one hell of a lot from 1964 to 1970, and is so varied it makes no sense to me at all.

But whatever, there will always be Philistines.

Agree Is it fashionable to post you don't like the Beatles?
by drmurray  (2019-05-09 17:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sacriledge!

Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, U2, Metallica, REM
by JACC1203  (2019-05-09 13:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Ramones
John Cougar Mellencamp
CCR
The Beach Boys
Iggy Pop
Def Leppard
Santana
KISS
AC/DC

You could have just said "everything" *
by Irish Warrior  (2019-05-10 12:28:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Who, Steely Dan, Rush, Santana
by Irish_Texan  (2019-05-09 13:11:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do we consider Santana great? He's certainly in the classic rock pantheon, if nothing else, but does nothing for me.

Then there's quite a few who I don't mind in a "greatest hits" sense, but generally don't like, e.g. the Doors, the Stones. Springsteen could have stopped sometime in the 80s and I wouldn't have cared. Love his 70s and early 80s stuff, though.

I furthermore have a theory that most of the people who strongly hate the Eagles lived through their heyday and got sick of their ubiquity. I grew up with my mom and dad listening to them in the 80s and now like them in a nostalgic way.

Cranberries, Leonard Cohen *
by ravenium  (2019-05-09 13:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All genres?
by pmcdnd96  (2019-05-09 13:09:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rap: Never liked Biggie
Rock and Roll: Stones have like two good songs. Bob Dylan is terrible.
Grunge: Nirvana was just bad. I don’t blame Cobain one bit...

The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Dylan, and The Beach Boys
by shawno3  (2019-05-09 12:50:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three of Rolling Stone's top four bands of all time plus the 12th (Beach Boys). The Rolling Stones are actually 4th on Rolling Stone's list but I put them first because I hadn't seen anybody else mention them.

There are actually a handful of Beatles songs that I like, but just a tiny fraction of their prodigious catalog. And I am perpetually baffled at the constant talk of their musical genius. I can't think of any song by any of the other three bands that I would ever choose to listen to.

Is it really hot in Iran? *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-09 12:59:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran *
by sprack  (2019-05-09 13:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was well played.
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 14:31:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect that's an old joke but I'd never actually heard it before and it fit perfectly.

John McCain got into some trouble for joking about it
by sprack  (2019-05-09 14:36:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during a campaign appearance when he ran for president.

Yeah, but it was funny then too.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-09 14:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guy asked him a question.

I thought it was hilarious
by sprack  (2019-05-09 15:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you know that mullahs are not known for their sense of humor.

Oh, sir, you have erred and erred greatly
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 12:57:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Rolling Stones are sublime. The best counter-argument to anyone who says White People Don't Know "Soul." Cuz Beast of Burden has soul.

I don't think I like Ed Sheeren
by OGerry  (2019-05-09 12:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I can't be sure because I don't know which loathsome, disaggrandizing songs I've heard that belong to him.

I hate the feckin' Eagles.

The Who
by graNDfan  (2019-05-09 12:41:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't hate them...just dislike.

I'll add Pink Floyd to the list inside the post because I know that it could set off a riot here. I never found them particularly appealing. Though I did get very drunk on a bus trip to the Horizon to see them. Only remember the floating pig....

Never really dug Floyd after Obscured by Clouds
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dark Side of the Moon onward was just classic rock bombast, IMHO.

Certainly the Beatles
by ndtnguy  (2019-05-09 12:38:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I have a hard time thinking of most people already on this list as great musical acts, although many of them have a song or two that's fun.

I'm not even sure Queen clears even that threshold, though. I've never understood their popularity.

Phish, Grateful Dead *
by bmoreirish  (2019-05-09 12:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Dead. How could I forget. I loathe their whole thing. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-09 14:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Elton John, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac,
by Barrister  (2019-05-09 12:36:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rush
Eagles
James Taylor
REM

Journey, Styx, Kansas - not sure if they can be called Gr8 *
by NDFlyer  (2019-05-09 12:33:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Adding a vote for Supertramp *
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-05-09 18:19:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Seger, Def Leppard, Grateful Dead. *
by Irish Jim  (2019-05-09 12:29:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Muse. Foo Fighters. We agree about Steely Dan and
by cujays96  (2019-05-09 12:29:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Beach Boys. edit: The Allman Brothers.

I like Dave Grohl as a dude/persona. He and I like a lot of the same music. I just don't like Foo Fighters.

I find Foo Fighters to be incredibly hit or miss
by tcfc  (2019-05-09 13:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes I hear a song and think, yeah this is why I dig them. I'd take "Aurora" with me to a deserted island.

Other times, I think they kind of suck.

I really like one man band Foo Fighters.
by NDBass  (2019-05-09 12:37:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once Grohl added contributing members, they become more bland arena rock.

Although, any band that includes Pat Smear gets half a vote
by cujays96  (2019-05-09 12:39:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just because it makes uptight people say "Pat Smear".

Former Germs guitarist Pat Smear.
by OCND  (2019-05-09 14:28:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some great guitar riffs. Darby Crash was an acquired taste, but the could have been really good. Tragic nonetheless.

On Stevie Wonder...
by shotgun  (2019-05-09 12:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this is about the "blindness," isn't it?

Perhaps Bruno believes in the conspiracy theory
by rutfilthygers  (2019-05-09 13:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Stevie Wonder isn't actually blind.

It makes more sense than someone saying they don't like Stevie Wonder's music.

Like I said, I acknowledge his greatness.
by Bruno95  (2019-05-09 15:15:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And he has songs I like. Just not a type of music I like.

It's the blindness.

Maybe your ears are blind. *
by Slotts  (2019-05-09 16:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just re-listened to Signed, Sealed, Delivered.
by ewillND  (2019-05-09 17:17:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's still awesome.

You are wise beyond your years, young lady. *
by Slotts  (2019-05-09 19:58:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

James Taylor *
by tcfc  (2019-05-09 12:21:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Suggestion for Bruno95
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:20:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You should have narrowed down your question to limit it to the artists inducted into the R&R HOF.

Grateful Dead
by PWK2  (2019-05-09 12:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have tried to like them. They are right in my late-60s, early-70s wheelhouse. I like harmony and bands that jam. Love their backstory.

But their jams just seem to go on and on, pointlessly and without virtuosity. And their singing sounds, without exception, flat to me.

I wish I could like them, but I can't.

John Mellencamp, anybody that lives and farms in the Seymour
by Jeash  (2019-05-09 12:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

area thinks he is an asshole/douchebag.

I agree with all of your choices (save maybe Steely Dan) and
by Del Griffith  (2019-05-09 12:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will add Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prince, Dylan, Springsteen also bands like REM and Cure, and whoever the great Rap artists are. The dial on the radio gets turned immediately if any such song come over the radio.

Billy Joel, Helen Reddy, Adel, Taylor Swift, John Denver *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-05-09 12:10:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fugazi, Elton John *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:10:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there's a universe where Fugazi is a "great band"?
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 12:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That must be a freaky place.

Today is the first day I ever heard of them. *
by Marine Domer  (2019-05-09 14:46:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're universally loved by music critics
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:47:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So perhaps that makes them great?

If we're defining greatness by ticket sales then I guess we can all vote for Beyonce or Imagine Dragons.

If Fugazi announced a 5000 seat venue "reunion" tour
by cujays96  (2019-05-09 12:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tomorrow, the band would be swimming in money to donate to their favorite causes.

Yes, in punk circles, they are considered a great band. You may not like them. But you shouldn't underestimate their reputation in the punk/indie sphere of music.

Damn right
by mitquinn  (2019-05-09 13:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and there’s still a few of us who still love Minor Threat more than Fugazi.

I DO like them.
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 12:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't know anyone else did, and wouldn't put them in the "great" category based on the OP's "rule."

1-2-3 Repeater, man.

They impacted culture and don't suck.
by NDBass  (2019-05-09 12:36:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They easily meet Bruno's rules.

OK. Like I said, I like them.
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 12:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along with a lot of other punk rock from a purer time when punk rock was both "punk" and "rock."

There is a lot of what you speak of out there. You have to
by cujays96  (2019-05-09 12:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dig around to find it.

Banner Pilot
Off With Their Heads
Pears
The Slow Death(Minnesota)
No Skin
Western Settings
High Priests
Raging Nathans
Supreme Commander
Toys That Kill and their companion band The Underground Railroad To Candy Land

A lot of that can be found on bandcamp.com

Shit, I still adore Joy Division
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 14:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, genre-wise, and yet... talk about massive, lasting impact on music.

Springsteen & Bob Dylan would be my big two *
by El Kabong  (2019-05-09 12:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Beatles *
by SMC1984  (2019-05-09 12:07:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too *
by Jimbo Irish  (2019-05-09 12:09:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prince
by stanford_07  (2019-05-09 12:06:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eric Clapton once said Prince was the world's greatest guitar player. I can't argue with that. But I think Purple Rain and much of his other stuff sounds like crap.

It was all downhill for Clapton after the Yardbirds *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:10:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can’t stand Springsteen.
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-05-09 12:04:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s a lot from about 1975 to about 1990 that does absolutely nothing for me, for that matter.

If I listed favorite groups
by harmonica  (2019-05-09 11:59:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would bear many similarities to your disliked list but:
Springsteen
The Clash
U2
Sex Pistols
Queen

The Beatles, Nirvana, KISS, Rush, Madonna, Bowie, Beyonce,
by akaRonMexico  (2019-05-09 11:59:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kanye, Bob Dylan, Phish, the Greatful Dead and the Cure.

KISS has the highest ever ratio of albums sold to talent
by shawno3  (2019-05-09 12:18:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excluding one hit wonders and the like.

They aren't a band, they are a marketing company that
by akaRonMexico  (2019-05-09 12:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

specializes in tight pants, make-up and shitty music.

Tom Petty *
by jimmypop  (2019-05-09 11:55:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed *
by ndwifemom  (2019-05-09 13:58:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beatles and Dave Matthews *
by akarl  (2019-05-09 11:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

U2. Queen. *
by FL_Irish  (2019-05-09 11:47:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jimmy Buffett and Phish, and most country *
by DBCooper  (2019-05-09 11:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

add the Dead and you nailed it for me
by irishrock  (2019-05-09 12:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've never understood the Buffett love

Yup
by Molly Maguires  (2019-05-09 11:56:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean I could add a ton more to this list but I'm pretty sure I'm our resident hater as is.

The Beatles top the list
by garbageplate  (2019-05-09 11:46:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel are right up there too.

Pearl Jam.
by John@Indy  (2019-05-09 11:46:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like a couple of their songs because they remind me of my freshman year of college. Eddie Vedder seems like a good guy, but mostly I can't stand his voice.

He might be my favorite singer
by Final_Flanner  (2019-05-09 14:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least in terms of his voice. I love the emotion and power when he sings.

But I also dig Dylan so clearly I don't need my vocalists to sound like Sinatra.

I can only speak to their hit songs
by gozer  (2019-05-09 14:03:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the reason I don’t like them is there’s nothing fun about them. They don’t sound like they’re having a good time and they don’t want you to have a good time either. That’s why they write songs about stuff like a kid committing suicide in English class (which I’m sure his parents love hearing on the radio 25 years later...)

Weird thing is, I actually kind of like Rammstein, who are about equally cheerful. They at least have a sense of humor though.

That's pretty much all grunge bands from that time.
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 17:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hair metal bands sure looked like they were having fun. I think the early 90's grunge scene was kind of a reaction to that. PJ, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden... all those bands had zero interest in writing catchy songs about partying, sex, and love.

That said, I think Pearl Jam concerts look like a lot of fun. I've only been to one PJ concert (Golden Gate Park in 1995), and it was fun as hell for about the first 25 or 30 minutes until Eddie Vedder started puking his guts out from stomach flu. Then Neil Young took over and bored us to death. I also saw them play a short acoustic set at a benefit concert on Halloween 1999. The 2 guitar players wore ridiculous halloween costumes, and Vedder had a lot of fun engaging with and serenading the handicapped kids who were sitting behind the stage.

I disagree in principle with the notion that it isn't fun to play or listen to music that's dark and/or (pseudo) intellectual. I don't think your example of Rammstein is weird at all.

Yep. I can't stand his voice either....
by Marine Domer  (2019-05-09 13:51:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's so affected. I'd add Metallica and Black Sabbath. Not my thing.

Eddie Vedder seems like a pompous, self-important dick
by shawno3  (2019-05-09 13:03:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the record, I continue to love Pearl Jam's first three albums and I choose to play their music frequently. I luckily saw them twice before Vedder decided that the stage was his bully pulpit from which to deliver his worthless politicial diatribes. STFU and play. You didn't become famous for your political acumen and people didn't buy tickets to hear you emulate MSNBC.

One of my favorites in spite of Eddie Vedder
by Montroy28  (2019-05-09 16:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not that I disagree with him on everything - it's just that everything isn't such an affront.

Jebus shawno, between this and your post above, the
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-09 15:42:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wise-ass in me says “Enjoy Toby Keith!”

Gotta be someone you dig out there man!

Heh. Lots, including Pearl Jam’s music
by shawno3  (2019-05-09 16:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a thread about who we don’t like. So clearly my posts here are negative. But, stating the obvious, I like everybody except those I don’t. And I kind of pride myself on liking a very broad range of music, new and old, popular and not, with many a guilty pleasure.

Vedder reminds of the F-word guy in Forrest Gump.
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 14:25:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Now there was this man, and he had an American flag as a t-shirt, and this man like to use the F-word...F-this and F-that, and everytime he said the F-word the people started cheering."

That's what Pearl Jam fans are like whenever Vedder drops an F-bomb during one of his between-songs soliloquies.

I wouldn't know.
by John@Indy  (2019-05-09 13:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My only basis for judging his character is that he's a devoted, non-bandwagon Cub fan.

You hit the nail on the head concerning Vedder *
by JACC1203  (2019-05-09 13:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

REM *
by maniactranspodriver  (2019-05-09 11:45:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eagles, Doors, Springsteen, Soundgarden, Dead, Talking Heads
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 11:44:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Regarding Soundgarden, I'll say that I enjoy them in small doses. It's cool when one of their songs comes on the radio, but I think Chris Cornell often sounds like he's being stabbed in the hamstring so 2 songs in a row wears on me.

Your handle seems ironic.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-05-09 14:35:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's quite a few heavy hitters of rock that you dislike.

Rock is dead they say, long live Rock. *
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 14:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same here on Soundgarden, except: Rusty Cage
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 11:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The opening guitar riff, played on a sound system that goes to 11, with windows down, while you're on your way to some big moment and smell victory, and packing a Copenhagen, and you yell "Fuck You, Asshole!" to some guy you're passing on the highway, and you feel so tough because yeah you're in a Hyundai Elantra but you almost bought something better and could have if you wanted to... sigh.

Pre-Badmotorfinger Soundgarden was much better *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bravo
by Montroy28  (2019-05-09 12:05:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do like Soundgarden enough to exclude them from a list like this however. Rusty Cage and then Outshined is quite a way to start an album off.

Could you be more specific?
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 11:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was hilarious!

Dave Matthews *
by meatwhistle  (2019-05-09 11:43:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't stand Dave Matthews
by jreednd  (2019-05-09 17:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I was at ND during the time everyone seemed to have a CD of his ready to play.

Never could understand The Grateful Dead's appeal *
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 11:39:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chicago . The original group may have been considered
by ndwifemom  (2019-05-09 11:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great.

They were until 1978, when lead singer and guitar player
by Hati Hijau  (2019-05-09 13:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terry Kath "accidentally shot himself to death after a game of Russian roulette went horribly wrong" at a party.

I believe his last words were
by sprack  (2019-05-09 13:37:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"What do you think I’m gonna do? Blow my brains out?"

Not kidding. He didn't think the gun was loaded.

I agree, they lost a lot when he died, especially his voice. I think their best song ever was "Make Me Smile", and he was the lead on that one.

The group lost what "grittiness" it had with his passing.
by Hati Hijau  (2019-05-10 02:30:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would take Terry Kath over Peter Cetera every day of the week, and twice on Saturday and Sunday. The group was never the same.

The Beatles
by Molly Maguires  (2019-05-09 11:38:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CCR
Radiohead

Queen and Pink Floyd. *
by Fresno Mike  (2019-05-09 11:37:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neil Young *
by Cartwright  (2019-05-09 11:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Replacements, Guided by Voices and Jawbreaker.
by voidoid  (2019-05-09 11:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every indie rocker seems to love them, but I do not.

From your list: I've never gotten into Steely Dan. I don't like Fleetwood Mac.

The Kinks are very hit or miss (mostly miss.) Lola Versus Powerman & the Moneygoround is, start to finish, a wonderfully complete album. Village Green Preservation Society does absolutely nothing for me.

I really like most of the others, though.

Not sure I'd call them great, because I don't like them
by sprack  (2019-05-09 11:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rush (I think everyone saw that coming)
REO Speedwagon
Foreigner
Nirvana

I reserve the right to add more if I think of them.

REO? You're going to find yourself in a whole lotta
by rick  (2019-05-09 12:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trouble, people!

Bob Dylan. That voice. Gimme nails on a chalkboard any day.
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-09 11:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great lyricist. Someone else shoulda sung ‘em.

Heh. Nobody covered Dylan more than the Grateful Dead. *
by doolinbanjos  (2019-05-09 14:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Totally agree...Great songwriter, godawful singer *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-05-09 12:16:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone else did sing 'em.
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 11:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best version of a Dylan song is usually
by Profkid93  (2019-05-09 11:50:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the one performed by someone else, like "All Along the Watchtower"

“Desolation Row” - My Chemical Romance *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-09 15:40:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Garth's "To Make You Feel My Love" *
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-09 14:01:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mr Tambourine Man, It Ain't Me Babe *
by sprack  (2019-05-09 12:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is mine as well for the same reasons...brilliant lyrics *
by ndgenius  (2019-05-09 11:43:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fleetwoood Mac, The Allman Brothers, Cream *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-09 11:31:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I find Radiohead to be unlistenable.
by Irishted  (2019-05-09 11:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just can't take Yorke's voice.

Also, the Sex Pistols were always vastly overrated measured against their actual output.

The Beatles. *
by grnd  (2019-05-09 11:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sting
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2019-05-09 11:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The music he's made over the years- I don't really listen to it. But the fact that he's making it- I respect that.

Do I know what product I'm selling? No.
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-05-09 12:25:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here. And I'm giving it my best shot.

Incredibly lazy songwriter
by El Kabong  (2019-05-09 12:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Half his songs are repeating lyrics over and over.

Sending out an SOS indeed.

He's f'ing great live, though.
by ewillND  (2019-05-09 17:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We saw him a couple of years ago when he was co-headlining with Paul Simon. They would sort of take turns and occasionally swap songs. Paul Simon, as brilliant as he is at songwriting, was surprisingly dull. At one point, Sting played "America" absolutely beautifully as a solo acoustic performance, and then in the time you could count into the next song, swapped with a roadie for an electric guitar and launched into "Message in a Bottle. " It was brilliant. Whether you are a fan or not, he completely outclassed Paul f'ing Simon on the stage...and it's Paul f'ing Simon.

He had a quote
by captaineclectic  (2019-05-09 12:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About one of his songs, “Fortress Around Your Heart”, to the effect that he thought it was pretty good and would have been a hit if it had had a bridge

Yeah, Gordon. If you’d finished writing the song before you released it, maybe it would be more popular. You’re not just a poet, you’re a sage.

Ironically, from the songwriting standpoint
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 12:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fortress Around Your Heart is a pretty good song in my opinion. A Smart Person's Song. You have to know "chasm" is pronounced with a hard-C.

I like Sting, enough to exclude him from this list. Mostly because The Police.

"So Lonely" is a trip, for example. That song's badass. And he had a hit song about a hooker for God's sake. The best part about that is the way even the girls will sing along with Roxanne, with no clue its about a hooker.

Sting's solo work is a mixed bag, but there are some creative bits in there and he is a pretty accomplished musician in the broad sense - I think he plays about 7 instruments well.

How can you people talk about Roxanne without Reggie Hammond
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-05-09 17:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like that song too.
by rockmcd  (2019-05-09 12:49:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love how he builds up and transitions to the chorus when he sings "walking on the mines I laid and if".

Oh, I agree with you
by captaineclectic  (2019-05-09 12:46:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I agree with him. It is good and it would have been a hit if he’d written a bridge for it.

However, this is a Captain Obvious observation.

The one thing I disagree with — everyone knows what “Roxanne” is about.

There is a whole category of people who sing words to songs
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 12:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

without actually considering what the words mean.

Or maybe there's just 3 girls like that, and I know all of them. Could be.

Unrelated, but: We saw G 'n' R live a couple of summers ago.
by ewillND  (2019-05-09 17:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was right after Chris Cornell passed away. Guy right in front of us made a big show of the fact that he knew all of the words to a number of GnR songs. Real Superfan that guy. Sang along at the top of his lungs, looked around to see who would join him, conducted the orchestra, etc. You know the guy.

Then the band played Black Hole Sun. Superfan pulled out his phone to Shazam it.

At least he knows one band really well. I guess.

at least it's an ethos. *
by TripleDomer  (2019-05-09 18:22:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow! You know Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, and Beyonce? *
by Hati Hijau  (2019-05-09 13:46:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

very nicely played
by blarneygreen  (2019-05-09 15:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and yes. Yes i do.

Every Breath You Take
by novadamer  (2019-05-09 13:27:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a song about a stalker that is played at countless weddings. Makes me smirk!

“Good Riddance” at graduation.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-09 16:06:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Song telling a girl to F-off.

Perfect

Great call. *
by Bruno95  (2019-05-09 12:04:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Dylan. He's a mumbler. *
by Shifty  (2019-05-09 11:28:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Red Hot Chili Peppers *
by LondonDomer  (2019-05-09 11:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of you dweebs: explain Radiohead *
by The Delta House  (2019-05-09 11:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mine
by ndmd89  (2019-05-09 11:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My mind can be changed though as I learned recently when I started to enjoy ELO after despising them for so long.
Rush
Boston
REO
Journey

Bruce Springsteen.
by mocopdx  (2019-05-09 11:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't get it, and my musical tastes scream "you'll love Bruce Springsteen".

But I know he's great, in the sense to which you refer.

we agree on something *
by irishrock  (2019-05-09 12:34:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Broken clock, and all that. *
by mocopdx  (2019-05-09 13:15:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post